Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'm not sure if you all heard about the lawsuit which happened last month. But this is a little troubling, to say the least. Apparently there are still multiple cases of misfires from the Sig P320 even after the upgrade. What are your thoughts?

I wonder if this also affects the x-series as well... because the x-compact looks like a really sweet pistol. 馃槦

Registered
I was squarely in the "It's fine, these were ND's people were trying to cover up and blame on SIG" camp until very recently. Apparently an armorer related to the most recent case found something to do with the interaction between the striker safety and the striker; there was only about 0.25 mm of contact on this particular gun. Wish I could find that article again... If that's the case, I could see how a modestly energetic impact could jostle it enough to release the striker. If that's true, the manual safety won't help one bit. I wouldn't carry one until this is figured out.

Registered
I really haven鈥檛 kept up with the whole p320 saga, but this certainly bears watching for those who like the platform. I shot a full-size p320 early on that belonged to a friend of mine, and I didn鈥檛 particularly care for it. There are other pistols that I prefer ergonomically and that I shoot more accurately.

Maybe it was just that particular pistol on that particular day, but first impressions are lasting impressions.

Registered
My P320 works fine, so no I pay no attention to the latest gun gossip.

Premium Member
Complaint is here:

If you google "sig p320 lawsuit" you'll see Sig has settled a few and others are pending, each over the p320.

Settlement, of course, is not an admission of liability.

Given the risk of an AD and the potentially catastrophic results, I'd stay away from the P320. I need complete peace of mind when it comes to a gun. That's just me, though.

Premium Member
I'm not sure how the gun fires without dropping, though. It has a striker block.

If the facts of the complaint are true, there's something amiss with that gun.

Registered
What was that line, from the 鈥淩onin鈥 movie? 鈥淚f there is any doubt, there is no doubt.鈥

It has been very easy for me to simply stay away from the SIG P320. There are so many other weapons out there, with no reasonable doubts regarding their safety.

I did contemplate buying a P320, when I starting training and evaluating rookies who were carrying them, after the P320 because the standard duty pistol for new-hires. When the unsafe-drop scandal broke, and SIG did not respond in what I saw as an honorable way, well, I stopped that contemplation, permanently.

I say this a 鈥淪IG guy,鈥 because I do not let affection for a product color my judgement of the people associated with that brand, or newer products introduced by those people. My having owned wonderful P220 and P229 pistols does not mean that the P320 is any good, whatsoever.

Registered
I am a SIG guy also. I love all of their metal P series guns, especially the P229. But, I always felt that the P320 trigger was a little too light/easy for a combat pistol. Good for shootin', not so good for carryin' !! Of course, I really dig the P250, so what do I know.

Registered
I am a SIG guy also. I love all of their metal P series guns, especially the P229. But, I always felt that the P320 trigger was a little too light/easy for a combat pistol. Good for shootin', not so good for carryin' !! Of course, I really dig the P250, so what do I know.
Totally agree on the metal P series. They're among my favorites. I've also found that I like he little p365 just fine for what it is. But for some strange reason, I didn't take to the p320 at all.

Registered
I've talked to my LGS people about this before. Someone pointed out a video of a guy putting the gun in a vise and beating it up and trying everything else he could to get the thing to "fire" and never had it happen. But then some other popular Youtube gun channel confirmed the problem. It's a gun that isn't on my shortlist and I'll confess the reports of all this is the reason why. The upgrade however was supposed to resolve any chance of that. I'd like to think problems now are related to mishandling.

Registered
There are too many things I don't like about the P320 (high bore axis, possible drop safety issues, generally bigger than necessary) and too many other good choices, for me to be interested in it.

Registered
Even if the "gossip" is true? 馃槰
If I had a heart attack every time someone on Youtube has a gun blow up in his hand, I would have been dead a long time ago. I believe it was you that had the....."Why is Glock still consdered the best pistol or something like that after 20 years?". Well, that is what I carry....G19....and here's your sign. Never had a failure of any kind since I bought my first in 1994.

Registered
My P320 kaboomed during a single shooter exercise in a class chocked full of experienced shooters as witnesses. Everyone鈥檚 agreed they suspected it fired out of battery.

I reported it to SG Ammo and Sig, Sam offered to buy the ammo back, I was on the third off four cases, no issues at all in three other guns. He did say he had been getting lots of reports of Sigs detonating.

A well known trainer, who I won鈥檛 name, responded to my post telling me he has witnessed P320鈥檚 disassemble themselves permanently in his courses.

sig assured me the P320 design could not possibly fire out of battery, and asked me to send it in for examination and upgrade, ( it was a Gen 1).

I still have it boxed on a gear shelf two years later. I got an email from Sig this summer reminding me to send it in for upgrade. I the email it stated they also wanted it back because there was a small possibility that the P320 Gen. 1 could fire out of battery.

Registered
My P320 kaboomed during a single shooter exercise in a class chocked full of experienced shooters as witnesses. Everyone鈥檚 agreed they suspected it fired out of battery.

I reported it to SG Ammo and Sig, Sam offered to buy the ammo back, I was on the third off four cases, no issues at all in three other guns. He did say he had been getting lots of reports of Sigs detonating.

A well known trainer, who I won鈥檛 name, responded to my post telling me he has witnessed P320鈥檚 disassemble themselves permanently in his courses.

sig assured me the P320 design could not possibly fire out of battery, and asked me to send it in for examination and upgrade, ( it was a Gen 1).

I still have it boxed on a gear shelf two years later. I got an email from Sig this summer reminding me to send it in for upgrade. I the email it stated they also wanted it back because there was a small possibility that the P320 Gen. 1 could fire out of battery.
I鈥檝e learned enough from hanging around here the last few years that Matthew03 isn鈥檛 the kind of guy who blows smoke. When he shares an experience like this, it definitely gets my attention.

Really glad now that the p320 didn鈥檛 appeal to me when I tried it a few years ago...

Registered
I鈥檝e learned enough from hanging around here the last few years that Matthew03 isn鈥檛 the kind of guy who blows smoke. When he shares an experience like this, it definitely gets my attention.

Really glad now that the p320 didn鈥檛 appeal to me when I tried it a few years ago...
That is very kind of you. Appreciated. (y)

Registered
Yankee Marshal has a good video demonstrating the fact that the Sig is Safe. Check it out wether you like him or not, It's a good demonstration.. Mine has never fired by itself.

Registered
I鈥檝e always wondered if the removable chassis system allowed too much play between the fire control system, and the slide and striker/striker block safety.

I continue to prefer my fire control system to be firmly affixed to the frame. Especially when the frame is flexible polymer to begin with.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Yankee Marshal has a good video demonstrating the fact that the Sig is Safe. Check it out wether you like him or not, It's a good demonstration.. Mine has never fired by itself.
I saw that video, but here is the thing... there are multiple cases of them not being safe AFTER the upgrade. Reality > Theory and Diagrams.

Registered
Has the military reported any similar problems? I wonder if they'd keep it quiet if they had, being a safety issue. I'm concerned because my son just joined the Army and is going 31B, most likely will be carrying an M17 as a sidearm.

As I mentioned earlier, if there is indeed a problem with the striker safety not actually making enough contact to reliably do its thing in some guns, the manual thumb safety isn't going to help at all. On My P320-M17 with the slide off, the safety lever must travel a little more than 1mm in order to release the striker. I don't see how any amount of bumping or jostling could make it go off without pulling the trigger unless the lever is being pre-loaded when assembled. Perhaps on some guns there is minimal contact and that manufacturing tolerances could be enough to make some guns unsafe. I'd like to see a very detailed mechanical breakdown of the related assemblies and how they interact, on a real gun, not just a schematic.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts