Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So simple question for the people who have shot one... do you find the PPQ "snappier" than say a Glock 19 and other alternatives? If so, what is the difference like?

·
Registered
10 Posts
So simple question for the people who have shot one... do you find the PPQ "snappier" than say a Glock 19 and other alternatives? If so, what is the difference like?

View attachment 335117
No. I found it to be a much easier to shoot gun than a Glock. On par with the HK VP9. Excellent gun, fantastic trigger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
No. I found it to be a much easier to shoot gun than a Glock. On par with the HK VP9. Excellent gun, fantastic trigger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will second this!

I bought a VP9 several years back. A good friend shot it and was hooked. Problem was, he could not find a VP9 at the time without paying top dollar. He came across a PPQ and said he thought it would give the VP9 a run for its money. We shot it and I was impressed. Great trigger and felt wonderful in the hand. Probably the best striker fired trigger I have shot. As far as recoil, I did not notice much at all but I did notice a bit more barrel rise than a Glock 17 or the VP9. I think this was probably in part due to the slightly higher bore axis, light trigger and quick reset. IMO, with more trigger time I would have gotten used to it. Great gun and they are usually reasonably priced.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are 5" magazines compatible with the 4"? I'm trying to see if they have any mag extension/base plates for the PPQ. Can't find any 20+ mag extensions.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
It's relative really.

I've got a VP9 and 2 M1 PPQs, also two M&P 5" pros and an HK P30L.

IMHO the PPQ is a "snappier" pistol, with more muzzle climb due to the bore axis/grip. The question is, does it really matter? For about 99.9% of use, IMHO no it does not. I can get better splits with either the VP9 or the M&Ps, but even then it comes down to which one I've been practicing with.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Not like ether 9mm is snappy to begin with but the grip on the walther may fit more hands better than a glock and its heavier .

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
IF you think a glock19 is snappy . Well perhaps you need rent or borrow other 9mm's and make up your own mind .

Some indoor ranges when slow will help some one like you try what available in 9mm for the one range rental fee .

My little 5-2 wife is 64 years old and her edc edc is a kimber ultra 9mm with a short trigger and thin grips but also has a P365xl now she shoots well and spend time with but she also carried a m&p9c for about 7 years and thinks there easy shooting pistol . Might be gluck double stack grip size is your problem so try one of glucks single stacks pistol too .

Maybe a 9mm alloy framed 1911 or the smaller scaled springfield emp designed in the grip for shorter cartridges but nothing is more tunable than a 1911 , really . Between grip panel thickness and trigger size change reach and circumference and can fit most any hand from skilled children on up . Recoil spring ,main spring and firing pin stop bottom edge changes also aid with controlling recoil along with the added weight of 26oz like with my wifes kimber ultra to 28 or 29oz for a 4 to 4.25" alloy framed models .

I do know a defensive handgun does not need to comfortable to shoot well and hand fit is purely individual . Some times it also take rounds down range to be comfortable with recoil too . Ina 9mm bullet weight and velocity can vari greatly . A lite 115gr is snappier than a 147gr bullet when both have the same class of energy levels . Recoil can feel feels different .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IF you think a glock19 is snappy . Well perhaps you need rent or borrow other 9mm's and make up your own mind .

Some indoor ranges when slow will help some one like you try what available in 9mm for the one range rental fee .

My little 5-2 wife is 64 years old and her edc edc is a kimber ultra 9mm with a short trigger and thin grips but also has a P365xl now she shoots well and spend time with but she also carried a m&p9c for about 7 years and thinks there easy shooting pistol . Might be gluck double stack grip size is your problem so try one of glucks single stacks pistol too .

Maybe a 9mm alloy framed 1911 or the smaller scaled springfield emp designed in the grip for shorter cartridges but nothing is more tunable than a 1911 , really . Between grip panel thickness and trigger size change reach and circumference and can fit most any hand from skilled children on up . Recoil spring ,main spring and firing pin stop bottom edge changes also aid with controlling recoil along with the added weight of 26oz like with my wifes kimber ultra to 28 or 29oz for a 4 to 4.25" alloy framed models .

I do know a defensive handgun does not need to comfortable to shoot well and hand fit is purely individual . Some times it also take rounds down range to be comfortable with recoil too . Ina 9mm bullet weight and velocity can vari greatly . A lite 115gr is snappier than a 147gr bullet when both have the same class of energy levels . Recoil can feel feels different .
I don't think it's snappy to the point where I have a problem with it. I don't mind shooting Glocks. I was responding to your last statement as a reference and making an "as a matter of fact" statement. Compared to other 9MM's I have shot, Glocks were snappier than them.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I wouldn't call it "snappy". My Kahr CW380 is snappy. A 40SW Shield is snappy. The PPQ is actually a very soft-shooting pistol. I've done multiple 500+ round courses with either my 4" or my 5" PPQ and didn't feel particularly fatigued.

I would call a PPQ "flippy" instead. While the recoil impulse is soft, it generates more torque upwards due to its higher bore axis. So the sights will move off the target somewhat more than something like an M&P or Glock during each recoil cycle. But if your grip is good, the sights will snap right back to neutral. I think for tournament shooters, and people who are going to be routinely doing sub-0.25s splits this would make a significant difference. But for casual shooting, home defense, concealed carry, or even moderate competition, I think it's unlikely to be any worse, as long as you're used to it and know how to grip a pistol.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
quickqustionanon Well it was and still is a rather matter of fact reply . Try some other handguns keep notes on likes and dislikes as you go along with your "testing " and maybe you will find a better option , maybe not . But it is your problem to find what is best for your needs and the answer is not found here .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quickqustionanon Well it was and still is a rather matter of fact reply . Try some other handguns keep notes on likes and dislikes as you go along with your "testing " and maybe you will find a better option , maybe not . But it is your problem to find what is best for your needs and the answer is not found here .
I'm confused... my question was asking about what other people thought regarding the snappiness. I'm not looking for a definitive "answer"... I'm looking for opinions on the matter, and I've gotten a few already. That's one of the functions of a public forum, advice, opinions, and feedback.

I know I'm not going to get an answer on what's "best for me". But that's not the point of this thread.

If you think there is no value in finding out what other people "feel" then we don't share the same opinion. I guess that is all I can say about that.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Other than the very basic of a new firearm being reliable I'll read and watch for some time . Even shoot one if I get a chance but really I do not care what others think or feel and I'll not ask 'opinion ! Your looking at tools not fun guns . Want soft recoil and limited snap but a 22lr . I have shoot a ppq m2 a few years back and for me its what I expect from any 4" 24 to 26 oz class of pistol . nothing more , nothing less . Learn how to adjust the recoil feel in your glock by trying different loads and recoil spring weights and know you can do the same with most pistols . So I sure you will stay confused with my replies . I'm gone .

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Naw! I have a Walther PPQ "classic" (M1) and I absolutely love shooting and carrying it along with my HK's. It's a very smooth shooter. At least to me!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have nine different pistols in 9mm. Everything from a S&W 5906 to a Sig P365. The PPQ M2 is one of my favorites and no more "snappy" than any of the others.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I wouldn't call it "snappy". My Kahr CW380 is snappy. A 40SW Shield is snappy. The PPQ is actually a very soft-shooting pistol. I've done multiple 500+ round courses with either my 4" or my 5" PPQ and didn't feel particularly fatigued.

I would call a PPQ "flippy" instead. While the recoil impulse is soft, it generates more torque upwards due to its higher bore axis. So the sights will move off the target somewhat more than something like an M&P or Glock during each recoil cycle. But if your grip is good, the sights will snap right back to neutral. I think for tournament shooters, and people who are going to be routinely doing sub-0.25s splits this would make a significant difference. But for casual shooting, home defense, concealed carry, or even moderate competition, I think it's unlikely to be any worse, as long as you're used to it and know how to grip a pistol.

That's it! Flippier!

And I agree, the vast majority won't even notice unless on a timer and even then in my case whichever one I've been practicing with more wins out.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
I’ve shot both but own neither of them. I agree with the PPQ being a little “flippier”. But only slightly and not really enough to make me like or dislike one or the other on that basis.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is how I would classify it. PPQ (M1....sorry but the paddle is king) was my first gun.

when I think of M&P or Glock 19 etc I’ve shot. Yeah PPQ is snappier.

it isn’t bad. And I absolutely don’t care. I can put the shots through the same hole with this thing. I’m not a trigger snob. But some combo of the grip, the way it fits my hand, the trigger, the quality parts.... it’s a superb gun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts