1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
The unfortunate truth of the matter is that illegal gun possession is rampant in the drug dealing community. It (illegal possession of guns) would likely continue as a problem even if there was considerable legalization of presently illegal drugs.

It is the character of some people to decide they will do what they want to do, whether legal or not, and the legality of possession and carry is of no concern to such people.

The "extreme" response might be to take a hands off approach on both issues. There is even a constitutional argument to be made for doing exactly that. But, we do live in a practical world.

I can't really advocate hands off because too many of those presently illegally carrying are extremely dangerous individuals.

So, these two issues (illegal drugs and illegal gun possession) are indeed intertwined in a way that makes developing a coherent policy very very difficult if not impossible. That of course is repeating the obvious, as it is the reason we are where we are on these two vexing problems.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
It is a route that I fear the gov is attempting, they may also attempt the do the same thing through health care...stay tuned, read...vote!:blink:

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
It is a route that I fear the gov is attempting, they may also attempt the do the same thing through health care...stay tuned, read...vote!:blink:

Yeah , something like , hey guns are dangerous/hazardous to the general publics well being and health, get rid of them!!!

The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; the second is war. Both bring a temporary prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunists. - Ernest Hemingway

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
We already have all the laws in place to get guns out of the hands of crimminals. Why not just enforce them?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
We already have all the laws in place to get guns out of the hands of crimminals. Why not just enforce them?
The way I see this and this is just my view is they can't enforce those laws on the criminals because they can't find those criminals to enforce those laws on. So, since they can't do that, they have to find someone to show that their laws are not weak and inefficient so they come after the law abiding and try and take ours knowing if they can, we will not become the criminals to counter them or most won't.

Does that make sense. I'm not gearing this to you Stevew. I'm just using your comments as a starting block my friend for my rant. Thanks for the loan of your comments.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Legalizing drugs, and making guns illegal. The world upside down.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Im moving to Montana very soon anyways...

Im going to build a escape camp deep in the mountains out there.... ill live for the rest of my life if I have to if it ever came down to the necessity sigh

·
Banned
1,725 Posts
It happened before. The failure that was Prohibition gave politicians the political footing to pass the NFA and we are still living with that today. The drug "war" is unfortunately very much so the same.

Any further discussion would delve into the topic of drug legalization, which is probably pretty political and I'm guessing would not be acceptable here.

·
Registered
509 Posts
First off, it's important to realize that a "war on guns" is part and parcel of every Western-style "democracy." Most "representative" governments have already succeeded in almost completely rendering their host populations defenseless.

Second, gun owners seem to have slightly more political pull than do illegal drug users.

Third, the "war on drugs" is an utter disaster on a scale only the government is capable of creating. It is a multi-billion dollar sinkhole that creates animosity toward the police and government in large groups of Americans. It also helps the gov't to imprison both a higher percentage and a higher number of people than anywhere else in the entire world. And still, just about any drug you might desire is available. Even in prisons. There is no reason to believe a "war on guns" would be any more successful on their part or palatable on ours.

Let's make both guns and drugs completely legal. I'd give the US about 6 months before armed citizens would have cleaned up all the violent drug crime.

Mel

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't forget the how much the "war on drugs" has eroded our 4th amendment protections as well.

Also, ever wonder why a constitutional amendment was needed to prohibit alcohol, but wasn't needed to prohibit other drugs? Most of the American public doesn't, either.

The war on drugs is nothing more than a war on individual freedom. It should come as no surprise that the 2nd amendment would suffer along with other important liberties.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I never understood the "the laws we have aren't working so let's make more" plan. They just don't get the fact, that no matter how many laws they make, the crimminals are not going to follow them! That's why their called crimminals!:blink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts