Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I was thinking about this yesterday. Where could I possibly go and be able to completely relax and not think about CCW and responsibilities, etc?

My first thought was camping in the woods but that doesn't work. Wild animals, fellow campers, the elements.

Then I thought about boating as a kid. Still no good. You have to keep a lookout for other boats, etc.

Church? No good either. School? Nope. Not even my own bedroom. As I drop off to sleep, I listen for sounds that don't belong.

I can't think of it. Does anyone have a sanctuary where you can let your level drop and be safe?

I love the feeling that I have made an active choice to defend my kids and loved ones at all times but sometimes I miss the ignorance that I once enjoyed.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
well there is this little cathouse outside reno , but then that would be a story for another board wouldnt it LOL

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
You could be like paranoid celebrities. They have "safe rooms" built into their houses. Concrete walls, floors, ceilings, time lock doors on some.

My recommendation. Don't let paranoia get you.

XD, I don't know you, and I don't mean to offend. From the "location" you have on your profile...You may have a case of the paranoias. Cut loose.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jarhead79 said:
XD, I don't know you, and I don't mean to offend. From the "location" you have on your profile...You may have a case of the paranoias. Cut loose.
No offense taken and I didn't want to come across as paranoid because I'm not. And yes, somewhere in Utah is relatively safe compared to other parts of the country but we have our share of violence.

The point of the post was to find out where the group feels the safest. We all need downtime and I am wondering where you go to find it.

I just thought of a place. Shooting in the Utah west desert. I can see for miles around, I have my guns out and ready to go, and nobody cares that you are banging off a few rounds. I think I know what I am doing on my next day off.

·
Registered
810 Posts
For me, it's at home (sometimes), though I do still carry there. I try to occasionally just sit back and smoke a cigar and completely relax, figuring that between the lights, alarms, sensors, cameras and eight dogs --- something will warn me to get alert.
And, thinking about all the stuff at home designed to warn me, I'm wondering if maybe I am a bit too paranoid...

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
At home. I carry 24/7 but I am in condition white when relaxing at home with my wife and my dog. I can count on my dog to warn me of anyone approaching so I just don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
There are two sides to this I think.

If we are all practiced at con' yellow then in a way, it is a mode of life and IMO need not be stressful.

Part of yellow is sensory acuity - a sharpening of senses and disciplining of self to be aware of that input. If that is achieved then I doubt in a way that we ever go quite 100% white - not like the sheep!

Therefore, if I am in a ''white friendly'' situation, of which there could be many - I will still expect my ''spidey sense'' to kick in unbidden should something seem out of place.

All that said, I have little doubt that periodically I will perforce be effectively con' white simply due to stuff like sleep!!

·
Registered
810 Posts
P95 -- good points on if you practice yellow as a way of life, then it's likely that you'll lean that direction even when relaxing.
Sleep? We sleep with four dogs on the bed with us! We got "surprised" once years ago and that's what started us into having dogs all the time. I'm confident that one or more will wake us if there's something we need to check out. I must admit, though, that sometimes a wet nose in the ear wakes me and I didn't need that at all!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The pistol range at our local gun club (Palm Bay, FL) is the perfect place to relax; you are inside a locked fenced area, and you have all your pistols [loaded] with you. It would be hard to find a safer place than that. =)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I go "white" all the time. I'm a bit introspective anyway, so once I settle down in my office at home or at my favorite hunting spot in the family deer woods, I take a breath and move towards 100% relaxation. I have no problem reading or thinking in peace and quiet and blocking out the rest of the world. And if I hear a car door slam, or the front gate squeak, or knocking at the door, that's enough to bring me back to my senses.

If you're tense and paranoid all the time, chances are for most that you'll kill yourself with a heart attack before any BG even gets close to you.

·
Registered
574 Posts
For me, I have two places. At home, because like some others, I have a dog who gets anxious when there's squirrels outside. :wink:

And when I'm driving down the highway. When I'm driving, I am visually aware, for the usual reasons. You know, when you're driving, you HAVE to be aware, so some bozo, who's not paying attention doesn't slide into you. But I am relaxed otherwise.

Like P95 said though, I pretty much "live" in condition yellow. So for me, it's no big deal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I live on a farm 6.5 miles from the nearest town. On a gravel road. Surrounded by cattle and grain farms. It is quite safe out here. We are in a small, rural, agricultural county, very gun freindly. You can hear any car on the road 3 minutes before it arrives. I have four large dogs. Have you ever heard of guniea fowl? They make more racket that the dogs do if someone (anything really) comes on the farm. I, and all of my friends (especially the city dweelers that visit) feel very safe and contented here. In ten years we have only had one tresspasser ( a rabbit hunter ) and the law was out here fairly quickly to apprehend him.
Now, you can't say never. And I do carry while on the farm. But I feel about as safe here as I can anywhere, and with all the alarms systems available, I think I will have enough notice if something is up.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Gotta agree with P95, condition yellow as a way on living. No stress to it, just awareness.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Maybe under my bed would be alright, but I don't like the looks of those dust-bunnies! :ahhhhh:

I don't think I've been in condition white since I was 12. Not actually paranoid, just continually "situationally aware."

And I'm sure P95 is right, it does no harm to stay in condition yellow.

Really.

I'm OK.

I really Am.

And DON'T pay any ATTENTION to those who are OUT TO GET ME! :comeandgetsome:

mm

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
havegunjoe said:
At home. I carry 24/7 but I am in condition white when relaxing at home with my wife and my dog. I can count on my dog to warn me of anyone approaching so I just don't worry about it.
Same here - only three dogs, and a wife that carries too. Plus we live in an isolated area, so that's a plus. We used to go to the beaches in Belize, but they're scary now too.

Your western desert "shoot off" sounds pretty good. Do you camp out overnight too?

Still working on my Condition Yellow thinking - hanging around here helps. :image035:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Aught Six said:
I go "white" all the time. I'm a bit introspective anyway, so once I settle down in my office at home....

Taking a few precautions, I don't really see a problem going white.

1. You lock your doors.

2. You have a loaded gun on your person.

3. You have training and likely practice quick reaction drills.

4. If a BG was "near," it's not like you're gonna shoot him instantly, you'll still assess the situation though it may be in a split second.

5. If the BG's plan is to walk up and wax you, it's likely that he'll have his gun ready to rock and be successful before you realize, Unless of course you're that speedshooter on the video we were passing around yesterday.

So, I say relax a little. Be aware of your surroundings, but don't consider every person in view as a BG. You'll likely spot a BG from a mile away, regardless of your "color."

If anything happens, the results will be completely controlled by the Big Guy upstairs. Just hope for your sake, you know him and he likes you. (Betcha didn't know I was a gun-totin' Bible thumper!) lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts