Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any tactical/survival training available that teaches skills besides simply becoming proficient with a firearm?

I am not a die-hard paranoid survivalist, but you can see that it really wouldn't take all that much for a major-league SHTF situation to occur. Heck, it already happened in New Orleans during Katrina. And the whole country (maybe even the world) was pretty darn close to a complete economic collapse last Fall.

I would like to learn general survival skills - things like proper planning, first aid, weapons tactics (of course), procuring or growing food, choosing the right people to join up with, etc, etc, etc.

Any places that teach that sort of stuff to civilians?

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
For what it's worth. There's a TV show on every Wednesday night at 8, or 9pm called Best Defense Survival. On that show I think they mention some locations around the states that offer that type of training from time to time, plus they go over several scenarios on the show itself. I found it pretty interesting on the times I watch it.

I think it's on the Out Doors channel, 153 on the Dish network. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh, looks interesting, thanks. I have DirecTV, so I just called them and am now paying an extra $3.50/month to get the Outdoor Channel. I'll check out that show.

Plus, there's lots of great stuff on that channel anyway.

thanks

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
For what it's worth. There's a TV show on every Wednesday night at 8, or 9pm called Best Defense Survival. On that show I think they mention some locations around the states that offer that type of training from time to time, plus they go over several scenarios on the show itself. I found it pretty interesting on the times I watch it.

I think it's on the Out Doors channel, 153 on the Dish network. Cheers.
+1 :bier:, I find this show very informative, wish I had caught more of them.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Don't laugh. Boy Scouts. Don't know how old you are but maybe you could
become part of the adult leadership. If you have a son in the scouting age group, Cub through Explorer, be active for both your son's sake and your own learning.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Let us know what you find out.

I think about this exact think from time to time.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
"I have DirecTV, so I just called them and am now paying an extra $3.50/month to get the Outdoor Channel."

There ya go! :king:

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Emergency Essentials as the name implies is an excellent source for emergency supplies, survival supplies and equipment, long & short term food & water storage. I have purchased from them several times over the years and they are simply top notch! You can find them here.

The same company has recently started their own blog called Preparedness Pantry which has a wealth of information you should find useful, including a lot on food prep and recipe's from your long term food storage. Lots of information on evacuation and sanitation as well can be found within the pages of both these websites. You can get to the Preparedness Pantry blog here.

I hope this helps with some of the info you are looking for. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
No medical training there, you have to join the Navy that. :tongue:
Not true at all.

While we love our Navy Corpsmen to death, every Marine undergoes extensive and recurring combat first aid training.

After all, Doc can't be everywhere at once!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Not true at all.

While we love our Navy Corpsmen to death, every Marine undergoes extensive and recurring combat first aid training.

After all, Doc can't be everywhere at once!
Now that you mention it I do remember something like that, I just don't remember how extensive it was.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just discovered a new show on Discovery Channel called Survivorman. It's on Friday nights. Seems they are running two hour-long episodes back to back, one was at 9pm and one at 10pm eastern. Anyway, this show is great. It's one guy who goes into the wilderness with almost nothing. Not even a camera crew (he brings his own camcorders, later a production crew edits the raw footage). He lives off the land, forages and hunts for food, etc, and explains what he is doing the whole way. Very good show.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It would be difficult to find one all-inclusive course or program that covers all the topics the OP mentioned.

However, quality training is available in all those disciplines.

The American Red Cross offers a variety of good first aid courses at an affordable price, and they have facilities all over the country.

Massad Ayoob's Lethal Force Institute is based in Concord, New Hampshire. Massad offers some of the best firearms training in the country, and also does seminars in a number of different states.

Plenty of good preparedness and survival books are available on Amazon or Barnes & Noble. For anybody willing to do some googling, I'm sure they could find quality courses of this nature in several places around the country.

·
Registered
195 Posts
While I haven't actually been thru any of their courses yet I have been researching the programs at Tactical Response in TN. They have courses in all of the areas of interest to you. I have read some good things on this outfit in this forum.

You can check out their offering here: Tactical Response

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts