Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
You just missed a great discussion on this holster. Some people will argue that the holster is going to cause you to shoot yourself in the leg, some people will say the retention isnt good enough. Personally, I like the holster, but the retention isnt the strongest.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I have one for my Beretta.
I really like it.
The only thing I don't like is that I can't draw with my weak hand.
Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
some people will say the retention isnt good enough.
Is it the aria of the retention for the trigger guard that's insufficient , the Strength
of the plastic, or the spring that isn't good enough ? Like that carbon DIY flash suppressor
on the end of the barrel; i can make a new retention out of carbon rather easily, and
already have the materials.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Used a Serpa early on in my carry days. Works ok and I never experienced any close call negligent discharges because my training was at the point where my finger NEVER was in a position to touch the trigger on the draw. So it depends on where you are at in your training. Google serpa negligent discharges and you will get some youtube videos of a very experienced and competitive shooter nail himself in the leg. Practice practice practice:nono:

By the way WELCOME! Glad to have you in the forum. Furthermore I want to congratulate you on overcoming your challenges.

By the way, Bonaire and Deercreek reservoir in Utah have world class wind kiting (hint, Utah is much easier to get to than Bonaire:urla9ub: :smile:) and the people are very friendly.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have one and never had an issue. If you keep your finger where the release is the finger never comes close to the trigger. So when used properly you will never shoot yourself in the leg.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I've got one for a Beretta 92FS that I open carry with from time to time. I prefer leather with a thumb strap, but I like that style over most kydex holsters.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Is it the aria of the retention for the trigger guard that's insufficient , the Strength
of the plastic, or the spring that isn't good enough ? Like that carbon DIY flash suppressor
on the end of the barrel; i can make a new retention out of carbon rather easily, and
already have the materials.

Well the mechanism has been known to get jammed up with dirt, gravel etc. I've used the holster a lot and have never had it happen, but there are plenty of people who have said it has happened to them. It's also just a little piece of plastic holding the gun in compared to some holsters that have a metal band that runs over the top. I have 2 of them, but I don't OC so I can't say if it's the best for day to day wear.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK -- i'm keeping this holster ; jamming from dirt i can deal with, because
i have the same problem with my fake legs, (I just keep them clean).

A quick off topic question :

This is 20 yards out , and the red marked ones are one hand, and the white
are two handed ; how do i know if it's me with bad technique, or the rear sight
that needs moving ?

And second -- my shoulders hurt after 200 rounds ; is that normal , or am i
just an old-fart that needs more exercise ? :frown:

DSC00659.jpg

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
OK -- i'm keeping this holster ; jamming from dirt i can deal with, because
i have the same problem with my fake legs, (I just keep them clean).

A quick off topic question :

This is 20 yards out , and the red marked ones are one hand, and the white
are two handed ; how do i know if it's me with bad technique, or the rear sight
that needs moving ?

And second -- my shoulders hurt after 200 rounds ; is that normal , or am i
just an old-fart that needs more exercise ? :frown:

View attachment 162634
You never mentioned your experience level. By your answers I will assume you are fairly new to defensive shooting, as such @ 20 yards your group is fine. The Serpa is fine, though I am no fan of OC. Fatigue is normal when shooting. The problem with marathon shooting sessions is that as you start to fatigue you get sloppy. You are much better off to break that into 4-50 round sessions, you will see better improvement because you are not practicing bad form.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Good for OC in what respect? do you mean in its retention capability or do you mean simply drawing the gun?

I think if you train(a lot) with that type of holster, it would be fine. (generally)

I think if you have concerns about weapon retention during a gun grab, that holster does not seem like the answer.

If you frequent a dusty, dirty, wet or sandy environment, that holster does not seem like the answer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I shot a lot when i was young ; never a hand-gun.

The groping on target that you see in the shot of my last post, has everything to do
with the 4.72" storm Lake barrel, and the extra 44% sight length i get from placing the
front sight out on the end of the home-made carbon flash suppressor.

That advise Ya gave me "You are much better off to break that into 4-50 round sessions"
I'll be following it, Thanks !!

Also -- i just fond an instructor to help me today , at an indoor gun range ; hopefully he has
some good advise for me to follow.

Bille

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
I don't see a problem either.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Wait until you dream about it when you are asleep as well. .

Reactions: Spark456

·
Registered
418 Posts
Get the CQC version and avoid the Sportster version at Walmart. The CQC is made out of a stronger plastic. As for suitability, almost all plain clothes officers I see around here use it. If it's good for them it's good for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And I thought there no way you could make a Glock look any worse. Hats off to you :35:
I Totally agree with you (sad) ; but yesterday, the range master placed a full clip of rounds into a
quarter size pattern at 10-yards , (then asked me to make him one) .
Go Figure ...

I still remember the day in high-school, when this girl told me that smoking was COOL ; 20
years later it took me 40 tries to quit because i got so hooked. So you see it doesn't bother
me now ; when someone holds a different option. Next up , your going to tell me that i'm a
goonball because i won't wear my pants down below my butt, (like the young kids do now-days. HA !!

Where would technology be today , if everyone liked and thought the same (?) ; i think
it would be somewhere about in the 11'th century. Did you know that the sum total
if Mans knowledge is doubling at a rate of every year now ? Do you know what that means ?

Hope i got my point across ; without making you Mad ?

Bille

·
Registered
898 Posts
Not mad at all we don't get mad on this site. I love picking on Glock and I do all the time just for fun. As far as your point getting across you almost had me. But being a older guy our minds not what it uses to be and we do forget a lot these days Where you lost was the (clip of rounds) not sure really what that is. Think you could help me out on that one? :blink: :confused:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts