Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a box of Cor-Bon .380 in a retail gun shop. Box is labled .380 auto +p.

I was asking about +p ammo somewhere else and was told that this is a packaging mistake and the corbon is not +p.

I pull out the cartridges and low and behold the head stamp is:
R - P
380 Auto

Doesn't R-P indicate Winchester cartridges?

If so, what's Winchester doing in a Corbon box?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Bought a box of Cor-Bon .380 in a retail gun shop. Box is labled .380 auto +p.

I was asking about +p ammo somewhere else and was told that this is a packaging mistake and the corbon is not +p.

I pull out the cartridges and low and behold the head stamp is:
R - P
380 Auto

Doesn't R-P indicate Winchester cartridges?

If so, what's Winchester doing in a Corbon box?
The good news is those aren't Winchester cartridges; Winchester usually stamps "W-W" or "Winchester" on theirs.

Those are, however, Remington cases (R-P, Remington-Peters).

IIIRC, at least on my .500's, the headstamp does read "Cor-Bon" on their ammo.

Could be that they could only get Remington cases; not sure. Also, they should be stamped +P, as well...although since there is no true designation for +P in .380, there could be a reason why they aren't stamped as such.

Not much to go on...

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Those are, however, Remington cases (R-P, Remington-Peters).
Yes. Wikipedia has a short write-up on Remington ammo, in which Remington-Peters headstamps are noted. Remington purchased the Peters Cartridge Company back in the 1930's and apparently still uses the "R-P" designation on many headstamps today.

·
1951 - 2011
496 Posts
Hello. I asked Mike Shovel of Corbon about that a year or two ago. Seems that some of the .380 cases that were ordered mistakenly had the +P designation on them. He advised that the mistake was due to so many of their loads being +P that the brass manufacture assumed such was the case in .380 ACP as well. Mr. Shovel said that while their 380 JHP load is not "light", it is still within the listed limits of standard pressure for .380 ACP, adding that no SAAMI +P rating in that caliber exists. I have some old Corbon 380 90-gr. JHP's that are so-marked. They average about 1050 ft/sec over the chronograph from a Walther PP.

Best.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Cor-Bon just makes the ammunition, not the individual components.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
In general, Cor Bon is hot stuff, so I understand the +P error. Got some+P and +P+ stuff myself.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Yeah, I got a box of that stuff and it's labeled + p too. Not sure I want to use it in my LCP.
CorBon-.380+p.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts