Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife liked the dry fire trigger pull of a LCR she handled a while back, so I thought she should try (rent) a Ruger LCR .38 Special. Knowing my wife, her temperament and the fact that she is not a gun enthusiast, I’m thinking a revolver might be what’s best for her. Easy manual of arms and more forgiving of an improper grip that might cause a malfunction with a semi-auto are my reasons for a revolver for her.

She has shot a few mags through my G17 and G26, and did well. Even with training/practice, with her temperament of getting very flustered when she gets stressed, I don’t know how she would handle a malfunction in a semi-auto in a high stress situation.

I’ve started a few threads to get info on my next gun purchase (and more and more, that gun being for my wife primarily). I need to look at all angles...especially the financial angle. An .38 Special LCR plus the cost of starting to stock a new caliber, for me, is a pretty good expense.

Now I'm thinking about buying a .22 semi-auto (possibly a Walther PPQ 22 at the right price) instead and adding to my small stock of .22LR ammo. With having a .22 semi-auto, and her still being a ‘newer’ shooter, it would be good, low recoil, and cheaper practice. Also she could work on racking a slide (even though it would probably be easier than my Glocks), and practicing malfunction drills (including snap caps mixed in with live rounds at the range). Who knows, she might become proficient enough that she would feel confident handling my Glocks...proving me wrong that I thought a revolver would be better for her. A .22 handgun would also be nice for our girls to shoot when I feel they are ready. Besides, every family needs a .22 handgun of some sort...correct? :) I have a .22LR rifle already.

A gun for my wife would be for in the house initially, so the G17 in a quick access safe (we have 2 girls, 9 and 3 years old) would be nice. If she ever decides to try carrying, we’ll cross that bridge when we get there (complete with her trying and picking out her own gun to carry).

So...is this sound reasoning?

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
I would say it should be entirely up to your wife. You're inserting yourself into the picture too much.

You talk about stocking up on another caliber, but reading between the lines, I can't see your wife shooting more than 500 rounds ever. She's got other interests. So the expense wouldn't be that great, actually.

I would agree that shooting a .22 Revolver might not be a bad idea, because given the LCR is a relatively light frame, it's not without some pain and recoil in small hands.

The best idea, I think, is to take her to a range where you can rent both the .38 LCR and a .22LR revolver and let her shoot both and choose.

The more difficult task will be getting her to carry it on-body and not stash it in the bottom of a purse.

Good luck.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yeah, I agree. You're totally inserting yourself in there too much. Is your wife 11 years old? Because a 22lr is a fine round for a new shooter when they are 11. But if she's an actual adult, she can handle and use a .38 spl as a new shooter. Want her to shoot? Get the gun/caliber she wants. Want her to not shoot or be involved in that aspect of your life? Buy her the gun you want her to have. That will keep her away pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I agree with Badger3 that it needs to be your wife's decision. Recoil in a .38 LCR is not bad at all if you don't use +P ammo. .38 is going to be much more reliable than .22 and will provide a lot more protection.

Reactions: CDW4ME

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
I would go with the LCR in .327 magnum. Then she could run .32 short, long, HR mag or .327 mag. Four power levels to pick from. Even the lowest is far better than the maybe it will fire rimfire.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I would say it should be entirely up to your wife. You're inserting yourself into the picture too much.

You talk about stocking up on another caliber, but reading between the lines, I can't see your wife shooting more than 500 rounds ever. She's got other interests. So the expense wouldn't be that great, actually.

I would agree that shooting a .22 Revolver might not be a bad idea, because given the LCR is a relatively light frame, it's not without some pain and recoil in small hands.

The best idea, I think, is to take her to a range where you can rent both the .38 LCR and a .22LR revolver and let her shoot both and choose.

The more difficult task will be getting her to carry it on-body and not stash it in the bottom of a purse.

Good luck.
All of this.^^^^

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point. Thanks.

To the other replies, thanks also. Good advice...should have known about her doing the choosing completely after reading here on DC in the past.

Depending on what she would choose, it might be quite a while before I can afford that particular gun. At least I could start buying the ammo for what caliber it turns out to be.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
My wife liked the dry fire trigger pull of a LCR she handled a while back, so I thought she should try (rent) a Ruger LCR .38 Special. Knowing my wife, her temperament and the fact that she is not a gun enthusiast, I’m thinking a revolver might be what’s best for her. Easy manual of arms and more forgiving of an improper grip that might cause a malfunction with a semi-auto are my reasons for a revolver for her.

She has shot a few mags through my G17 and G26, and did well. Even with training/practice, with her temperament of getting very flustered when she gets stressed, I don’t know how she would handle a malfunction in a semi-auto in a high stress situation.

I’ve started a few threads to get info on my next gun purchase (and more and more, that gun being for my wife primarily). I need to look at all angles...especially the financial angle. An .38 Special LCR plus the cost of starting to stock a new caliber, for me, is a pretty good expense.

Now I'm thinking about buying a .22 semi-auto (possibly a Walther PPQ 22 at the right price) instead and adding to my small stock of .22LR ammo. With having a .22 semi-auto, and her still being a ‘newer’ shooter, it would be good, low recoil, and cheaper practice. Also she could work on racking a slide (even though it would probably be easier than my Glocks), and practicing malfunction drills (including snap caps mixed in with live rounds at the range). Who knows, she might become proficient enough that she would feel confident handling my Glocks...proving me wrong that I thought a revolver would be better for her. A .22 handgun would also be nice for our girls to shoot when I feel they are ready. Besides, every family needs a .22 handgun of some sort...correct? :) I have a .22LR rifle already.

A gun for my wife would be for in the house initially, so the G17 in a quick access safe (we have 2 girls, 9 and 3 years old) would be nice. If she ever decides to try carrying, we’ll cross that bridge when we get there (complete with her trying and picking out her own gun to carry).

So...is this sound reasoning?
It's always good to have a couple of good .22's around. They can be good for training and fun for target shooting. The Walther PPQ M2 would be a very good choice for target shooting. It has a real nice trigger. It's accurate, probably on par with am MK II or III. Unlike a number of .22's It feeds most standard velocity .22lr very well. It's has a longer barrel than most other .22's in it's class at 4". I wouldn't consider that a drawback depending on the intended use. It also holds 12 rounds while most only hold 10.
Like most Walther's they have an ergonomic grip that feels great in most hands. It is somewhat more expensive than most other .22's but it is a Walther after all. I don't think you would be unhappy with a PPQ M2 .22. about $350-360.

Other .22's you might want to compare would be Ruger SR22 3.5" bbl. for under $300. S&W MP22 for about $285 or even a Walther P22 with a 3.2" bbl. Not bad for about $260. It's been around for some time. Modeled after the P99 but 3/4 size. It was the first .22 I bought for my wife but I like shooting it too. Mine prefers CCI mini-mags and Federal Premium. Just about any copper clad 36-40 gr .22 normally works fine though.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is your wife 11 years old? Because a 22lr is a fine round for a new shooter when they are 11.
LOL...11 year old wife...I know what you're trying to say...but the first time I took her shooting, we started with a Colt Woodsman that day. After a few mags through it, she went to the Glocks. I don't remember exactly how she put it, but I think she had been glad to start with the .22 pistol before shooting the Glocks.

As mentioned, I do have a 9 yr. old that I would like for her to try shooting when I feel the time is right. Eventually I do want a .22LR handgun...just trying to find as many uses for my next gun purchase as possible (no, I won't be able to buy 2 guns at one time).

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Good point. Thanks.

To the other replies, thanks also. Good advice...should have known about her doing the choosing completely after reading here on DC in the past.

Depending on what she would choose, it might be quite a while before I can afford that particular gun. At least I could start buying the ammo for what caliber it turns out to be.
Do yourself a favor. Unless it's a caliber you already own, don't buy ammo until she has the gun in her possession. You could get stuck with ammo you'll never shoot.

Reactions: rcsoftexas and Remy

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Yeah, I agree. You're totally inserting yourself in there too much. Is your wife 11 years old? Because a 22lr is a fine round for a new shooter when they are 11. But if she's an actual adult, she can handle and use a .38 spl as a new shooter. Want her to shoot? Get the gun/caliber she wants. Want her to not shoot or be involved in that aspect of your life? Buy her the gun you want her to have. That will keep her away pretty quick.
FWIW, Mrs Thin would have never developed her current interest in guns had I not been totally open and OK with her belief that 22LR was the only round she felt she could handle. The SR22 she picked out was no doubt underpowred, but she was comfortable with it.

Never rule it out until she does. Mrs Thin has slowly progressed to loving to shoot 9mm, and shot my P229 in 357Sig very well our last range trip.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
If she likes a revolver and will CC with that might I suggest you get a .22 revolver to practice with vice semi auto?

Reactions: Sister

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If she likes a revolver and will CC with that might I suggest you get a .22 revolver to practice with vice semi auto?
The range that rents guns near us has both .22 semi-auto's and revolvers, I'll see what she likes and go from there. I'll also want her to try the other calibers and sizes of guns they have there.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Take her to range, rent LCR 38 revolver, see if she likes it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hmmm...I agree with others that it really needs to be your wife's decision because she will only use what she decides to use, if my wife's eccentricities around the subject would apply to most. In fact, my wife decided on a p938 after shooting her friends p938. But then she injured herself such that she cannot rack the slide on the p938. She then tried a 238, which has softer springs, and decided herself that she wanted one, with a pink grip (the pink was more important than the caliber to her). Now that her injury has had a couple years to get better, I think she could use the 938, but now that she has "pinkie" she'll likely never use it. That's ok though, because I really like the 938 and use it often.

My own personal suggestion would be to introduce her to the p938, renting one for her to try. IMHO, while the p238 is easier to rack, it seems to kick a little more than the p938. If you are able to get her to like the p938, then you'll be able to stock just one caliber, instead of having to add another. The 22lr option is not a bad one, and may be necessary for her to get used to, and begin to like shooting. All of that said, if you can find a female friend of hers that likes to shoot, that will be the factor that encourages her to shoot more than any other...worked best for my wife.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
If my Wife wanted a gun for home defense, I would respect her enough to allow her to qualify her own decision. If she has questions, I would answer them but I would never presume to inquire for her, consider for her or decide for her in regards to what is best for her. It aint rocket science.

My Wife told me she wanted to go shooting.. I took her and after a few trips to the range she settled on a Taurus 85 snub 38 (ported barrel) for her house gun. Its not what I would have chosen but its not a bad choice and its what she wanted. I think life goes a lot easier when we as men stop trying to tell women what is good for them. Secondly, you don't really unlock a persons potential by doing everything for them.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm...I agree with others that it really needs to be your wife's decision because she will only use what she decides to use, if my wife's eccentricities around the subject would apply to most. In fact, my wife decided on a p938 after shooting her friends p938. But then she injured herself such that she cannot rack the slide on the p938. She then tried a 238, which has softer springs, and decided herself that she wanted one, with a pink grip (the pink was more important than the caliber to her). Now that her injury has had a couple years to get better, I think she could use the 938, but now that she has "pinkie" she'll likely never use it. That's ok though, because I really like the 938 and use it often.

My own personal suggestion would be to introduce her to the p938, renting one for her to try. IMHO, while the p238 is easier to rack, it seems to kick a little more than the p938. If you are able to get her to like the p938, then you'll be able to stock just one caliber, instead of having to add another. The 22lr option is not a bad one, and may be necessary for her to get used to, and begin to like shooting. All of that said, if you can find a female friend of hers that likes to shoot, that will be the factor that encourages her to shoot more than any other...worked best for my wife.
The range where we will go does have a P238 for rent but not the P938. If it is the P238 she likes...it'll be quite a while before I could buy it for her...but I'd do my best to get it for her.

She does have friends that carry, but they don't live near us. She has another close friend who had a pistol for a while, but I don't believe has shot it yet. Maybe a pistol class and girls night range trips might be in there future.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would respect her enough to allow her to qualify her own decision.
I don't think you're implying that I don't respect my wife...cause that is far from the truth. I'll be heeding the advice of letting her try and pick which handgun she is comfortable with.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I don't think you're implying that I don't respect my wife...cause that is far from the truth. I'll be heeding the advice of letting her try and pick which handgun she is comfortable with.
I am speaking to [my] relationship dynamic.. not yours.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts