Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
The first pic is from Libya, but similar in substance to the Liberia one. The second one is right. There is also one involving an Uzi and a feather duster.

My observation have been that old Warsaw pact weapons are seldom distributed with user-manuals in third-world countries, and as such, people use them how they work for them.

I know what the max range on an RPG-7 is supposed to be, and I knew an Afghan Army Sgt. who could hit 9 out of 10 times at almost twice that distance. He just angled it up, and somehow it made it there.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Obviously somebody there is a fan of "HEartbreak Ridge" by the unconventional use of that road equipment
Just a side note - a similar incident DID happen during the Grenada invasion (a bulldozer was hotwired to clear runway space for follow on air-landed troops), but it was done by Rangers, not Marines as depicted in the film.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Just a side note - a similar incident DID happen during the Grenada invasion (a bulldozer was hotwired to clear runway space for follow on air-landed troops), but it was done by Rangers, not Marines as depicted in the film.
Yes, I heard the story by a good pal that was there.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
But the Marines in the movie looked better doing it.

Really, breaching walls in combat is nothing new, as it goes back at least a couple of thousand years. It is much better to make your own hole where you want it, than run through the one the enemy wants you too.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
I know you get/got all hot and bothered over The Swede, buckeye, but you don't have to go telling everyone about it. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I know you get/got all hot and bothered over The Swede, buckeye, but you don't have to go telling everyone about it. :wink:
Ouch, good one...

Back to combat breaching/urban gunfighting techniques...

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
As stated most of these folks are followers of spray and pray.
As far as an RPG the warhead will self destruct at about 950 meters or 4.5-5 seconds. Since most are not issued with optics it is strictly a point and hope you hit type weapons system.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The Swede was played by Pete Koch, who played as a Defensive End in the NFL for the Kansas City Chiefs back then.

He now works as a Sports Trainer and has his own website. This is how he now looks with long gray hair:

Pete Koch FAST Fitness

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
One thing that we do need to be grateful about the conflicts erupting in the Middle East and North Africa, is that finally Muslim nations are coming to their senses with regards to extremist dictators and they are welcoming Democracy. The uprising began in Tunisia and from there it has spread to other nations like Egypt, Libya and Syria. I even saw in CNN the other day that the dictator in Yemen is now voluntarily accepting to give up his power in order to avoid a conflict. This is a positive development for the World since the Middle East has been historically a highly problematic area. I just hope that the US and NATO are able to support all these nations, but without getting too involved like they did in Iraq and Afghanistan and risking creating a new battle front for Al Qaeda.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Be careful what you wish for - like "democracy" in the Middle East. If the majority decides to vote in a religious nutcase who wants to start a jihad against the West and Israel - then what?

We're in a no-win situation, really. If we support the dictators to keep the religious extremists at bay, we anger the people and give the extremists legitimacy. If we support the people against the dictators, we encourage an outcome that could go against our interests.

Darned if we do, and darned if we don't.:redface:

Hopefully the people over there have had enough of dictators, and won't replace a secular one with a religious one. I have my doubts though...

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I'm just happy they are killing each other instead of plotting to kill us. Let's hope for a long Middle East struggle.

·
Super Moderator
18,262 Posts
Ignorance and greed are the two main problems in the Middle East and until they can lift themselves out of ignorance and overcome the vice that is greed then they will continue to have the ample measure of the strife to which they have subjected themselves since the fall of the Roman Empire.

Come to think of it, ignorance and greed are "doing a big job" on our nation right now.

·
Banned
1,725 Posts
I have a bit more hope in the younger generation, who seem to be the primary force behind at least some of the struggles. Some of them are largely sectarian (not youth-based), like in Yemen in Baharin. I don't know what will come of those two.

Even if it is somewhat Islamically-based, I hope it's more like Turkey. That is, not perfect, but still way, way better than say, Iran or Pakistan - both for the US and for its own people.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Seeing those pictures reminds me of training Iraqi sarwa in ambar when I was in the marines. It almost makes you feel bad smearing them on the ground, they'll never even stand a chance.

·
Registered
341 Posts
who said point and shoot techniques are not in common use should see these vids. the best part was at 4:16 - that guy nearly had his head taken off by the RPG. I wonder if some of their casualties are caused by their own comrades.

the chechens were good AK users during their early conflicts with Russia. fire teams of riflemen and RPG shooters made the russians wish to get out of Chechnya and made mincemeat of their lack of infantry support for their tanks - no good videos are really out there though.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts