Defensive Carry banner

Is your main carry gun an automatic or a revolver?

• Automatic

Votes: 57 81.4%
  • Revolver

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry an autoloader but am curious what type you all carry.

·
Registered
251 Posts
90% of the time, a M642 in my pocket. 5% of the time, either a NAA Black Widow .22 WMR in my pocket (when I'm in a REALLY safe environment) or a Kimber .45 Ultra CDP on my hip.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Revolver. S&W 649 Bodyguard .357, belt holster and/or S&W 342 .38 with Crimson Trace laser in pocket or ankle.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
S&W 624 44 Special.

Sometime a S&W 629 with 44 Specials.

I now had a S&W M27 in 357 that I would like to carry.

BUG is a S&W 642

So I guess mainly revolvers.

-Scott-

·
Registered
742 Posts
Always at least two guns, usually three, so my answer was other....but usually both+.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Scott, I would never have guessed that. Maybe it is the avatar.

For me it is all about da A U T O

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
for those responding other, Sticks & Stones??? JK but serious, what else is there?

~A

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
APachon said:
Scott, I would never have guessed that. Maybe it is the avatar.

For me it is all about da A U T O
Well I do carry a Sig as my weak side gun when I carry a weak side. But right now my primary is a revolver. Once Spring gets here I'll likely be carrying a 1911 as my primary. I am still getting comfortable with the 1911 around the house.

-Scott-

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glock 19 90% of the time, S&W J frame airweight 10%.

APachon said:
for those responding other, Sticks & Stones??? JK but serious, what else is there?

~A
Double barrel Derringer for one.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Mack, I had not thought of that. BUG's Hmmm

Thanks for the insight.

~A

·
Registered
370 Posts
I wind up carrying a semiautomatic most of the time. My small revolvers just don't give me the same sense of security, unless I carry two. Since so many violent encounters have multiple assailants, since multiple handgun hits are often required to put down an assailant and since I can't reload a revolver particularly quickly, I just don't feel prepared with a small D- or J-framed revolver. My micro-Glocks are the same size and hold about twice as many rounds, and reload in a flash. They all hit with right about the same power, and the semiautos are probably easier to shoot quickly.

I prefer the look and feel of a blued-steel D- or J-frame to the Glock, though. But as a tool . . . I use the Glocks a lot more.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
Grendel P-10 (.380 auto) BUG
Glock 19 most of the time
Glock 20 (10mm) for high threat
Para-Ord. P-14 .45 some times

So that make me 100% auto

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
my first 2 carry weapons are autos. my last ditch gun is a 5 shot NAA revolver.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
wow almost 75% prefer the semi auto to the wheel. Interesting.

Those of you that have opted for the wheel, can you express why?

For me the reason I chose semi's is because that is what I have always trained with so for starters there is familiarity and confidence and by no means does that mean I do not have confidence in the wheel. Second, there is increased round capacity with the semi. Third, there is ease of function and reliability (no flames please I know 1911's have a bad rep) but really, reloads I kno wI can perform much quicker and tactical reloads are also easier with a Semi, and Fourthly, checks dig the semi's. JK. But in all seriousness, My body reacts instinctively with a 1911 and as such I have built up Muscle memory with this given platform. That is why I have chosen a semi and I do think my biases have been transfered to my wife and several of my friends. For my wife I started her out with a semi Browning .22 and she graduated to a 1911 of mine within 30 minutes.

~Andy

·
Registered
742 Posts
I replied 'other' because of my objection to the way the poll is set up. Many of us carry more than one gun, some carry two primary firearms.

A properly organized poll allows multiple answers. This poll could have done so just by adding the category named 'Both'.

Same problem was noted in the recent holster poll.

For many of us, it is not either/or, it is more 'and'.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts