Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I am currently training in Haganah, which is an Israeli combatives art. One of the types of training offered is I.P.T.T. tactical pistol training. It's typically a 3 hour class, both hands on scenario based and then a trip to the range to put the training into live fire. At the last training class I attended, while at the range we did either push ups or squats to elevate our heart rate and induce an adrenaline dump. This is obviously not the same as a violent encounter, but it did serve a purpose. After the calisthetics, we approached the line and waited for the instructor to call "threat". We then drew from concealment and shot 3 to the chest and 1 to the head. We have run similar drills before without the calisthetics, but my time and accuracy noticeably decreased on my first few cycles. It was very eye opening training, similar to the full contact knife session I just had. This is not meant to be a condition 1 vs condition 3 thread. Just about adding the physical stresses to the drill. I carry condition 1. I am trying to take as many different training classes as I can in order to determine what works best for me. These 3 hour classes are very reasonably priced to students and allow hands on training and instruction. All live fire is done drawing from concealment. For those of us that don't have access to private ranges, that alone is worth this cost of admission.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Getting the heart rate up, can simulate the adrenaline dump. When we do active shooter drills they have us start at zero, and run to the 75 yard mark, put your rifle together and get to work. Sounds like a great class....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Getting the heart rate up, can simulate the adrenaline dump. When we do active shooter drills they have us start at zero, and run to the 75 yard mark, put your rifle together and get to work. Sounds like a great class....
It was! They also do it with sprints and kettle bells when they are at outdoor ranges. I think it's a 70 or 75 pound kettle bell with 10 over head swings. Not sure how far a sprint they do.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
It was! They also do it with sprints and kettle bells when they are at outdoor ranges. I think it's a 70 or 75 pound kettle bell with 10 over head swings. Not sure how far a sprint they do.
At the end of the day, I was tired, but performed well. Sometimes folks do not understand the physical side of training....I hate kettle bells, my arms always feel like jello...:smile:

Reactions: Kinzei

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At the end of the day, I was tired, but performed well. Sometimes folks do not understand the physical side of training....I hate kettle bells, my arms always feel like jello...:smile:
The Israelis and the Russians love their kettle bells. What's the quote? Better to sweat in training than bleed in combat? :embarassed:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts