Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, I want to say that wow this site has exploded since I was here last. It's great see!

Now, on to my question(s). I've recently moved to Israel and I'd like to bring one of my firearms (handgun) here (which I know I need an import permit). I know what the laws say regarding who can be issued a permit and I do NOT meet all of them, however I've heard from multiple people that they sometimes will waive these laws.

1. How likely is it they will waive the following:
a. <3 years residency (am a citizen though)
b. no specific "need", under the categories listed at least.

2. If I go to work for a security company, will they allow me a firearm at this point?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I think you better call the Embassy and ask them, unless someone here is an expert in International Firearms laws

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I posted here because I know there are Israelis on this forum, as well as generally knowledgeable people :( oh well.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Are you an Israeli, US or dual citizen (US/Israeli)?

·
Registered
911 Posts
The permit you are reffering to, is it the federal import permit or a Florida concealed weapons permit?

Since you are a dual citizen (US/etc) you should be good to go for the Florida concealed weapons permit. Use the elegibility wizard for that. Contact BATFE/CBP for the import permit.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
No specific knowledge of situation or laws. I had the impression the import permit was to bring a weapon (import) into Israel, and that would be covered by their law.

I think your best source of information would be, not our Embassy, but the local authorities where you now live. Whether or not you will be allowed to carry there, is strictly a matter of the law over there.

There may also be some issues of obtaining permits here to export a weapon from the US to there. That would be controlled, most likely, by the commerce department. in other words there might be two permits you need---a) an export permit from the US and b) an import permit from Israel. Then, you need a permit from Israeli authorities to possess and probably to carry.

Again, start with the local authorities where you live, or with a local lawyer where you live.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No specific knowledge of situation or laws. I had the impression the import permit was to bring a weapon (import) into Israel, and that would be covered by their law.

I think your best source of information would be, not our Embassy, but the local authorities where you now live. Whether or not you will be allowed to carry there, is strictly a matter of the law over there.

There may also be some issues of obtaining permits here to export a weapon from the US to there. That would be controlled, most likely, by the commerce department. in other words there might be two permits you need---a) an export permit from the US and b) an import permit from Israel. Then, you need a permit from Israeli authorities to possess and probably to carry.

Again, start with the local authorities where you live, or with a local lawyer where you live.

Didn't know about the export permits.....thanks for the heads up.

The permit you are reffering to, is it the federal import permit or a Florida concealed weapons permit?

Since you are a dual citizen (US/etc) you should be good to go for the Florida concealed weapons permit. Use the elegibility wizard for that. Contact BATFE/CBP for the import permit.
Ya I have a Florida resident permit, but I'm not a resident anymore and not even living there so it does me no good. I'm gonna run by the department this week and speak to them in person and see what I can find out (here in Israel).

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Based on what I remember (and that's based on what was 10-15 years ago), unless your job requires frequent travel to the West Bank or you live there chances of getting a permit are pretty slim.
I did get a permit when I worked for security company, but that was revoked as soon as I stopped working there.

I can make some inquiries for more up to date status with friends who are carrying there, though. PM me.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Can't help much with advice...But, Good Luck and keep us informed of your progress...

·
Registered
756 Posts
1. How likely is it they will waive the following:
a. <3 years residency (am a citizen though)
b. no specific "need", under the categories listed at least.
Is the threat of homicidal Palestinians not a "specific need"? I know its probably not the "politically correct" thing to say, but at least from what we see on TV, it appears to be a pretty legit concern.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Just a few questions, do you see open civilian carry in Israel?

Is there CC in Israel?

What weapons do you see in the hands of civilians?

What handguns and calibers are popular in Israel?

Hope it not to many questions but it is rare that I can get first hand info about Israel from someone who knows firearms.

Stay safe and blessing be upon you!!!!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Didn't know about the export permits.....thanks for the heads up.

Ya I have a Florida resident permit, but I'm not a resident anymore and not even living there so it does me no good. I'm gonna run by the department this week and speak to them in person and see what I can find out (here in Israel).

Thanks guys :)
I thought you were inbound to the US, you want info on CC at Israel, my bad.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: Carrying in Israel

אני גר ברחובות

Join the Auxiliary Police wherever you live. That's what I did and my commander wrote a letter that got me a permit.

For those of you that aren't familiar with life in Israel, it's actually very very difficult to get a handgun permit. There is complete gun control here outside of the army, police, people with need and those with connections. There is no concealed carry. It wouldn't make any sense, since you are searched before going into most stores, malls, etc.

jb

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. Sorry, I was traveling and just got back and saw all the posts!

Is the threat of homicidal Palestinians not a "specific need"? I know its probably not the "politically correct" thing to say, but at least from what we see on TV, it appears to be a pretty legit concern.
Political correctness is not so much a big deal here. You're correct, that's my main reason. I assure you, TV blows it all way out of proportion, but "rather safe than sorry...".

searcher 45 said:
Just a few questions, do you see open civilian carry in Israel?
Yes. Mostly/all people in the security field. I've seen a good share of people OCing in regular clothes, but you don't know if they're just not in uniform. Even off duty soldiers in civilian clothes walk around with their military issue rifles on the backs. You never really know to be honest.
Is there CC in Israel?
I BELIEVE that once you're licensed to carry, you can carry however you want. Here though, CCW is less common I'm sure because everyone knows that - for sure - at any given time there are armed people around them (ie soldiers). The one odd guy CCing won't really be helping himself too much. Also, the massive amount of OCing also acts as a deterrent. You see people everywhere walk rifles and handguns on their sides - you know if you try something, you won't make it very far.
What weapons do you see in the hands of civilians?
I've mostly seen 1911s of various forms. I also know that the Jericho (aka baby eagle) and Glock are popular here.
What handguns and calibers are popular in Israel?
Don't know this one, sorry. Part of me wants to say 9mm since if they were used, it would be with other people around to avoid collateral (people directly behind the BG), however the other part of me says larger cal's for better stopping power.
Hope it not to many questions but it is rare that I can get first hand info about Israel from someone who knows firearms.

Stay safe and blessing be upon you!!!!

backandblack said:
I would think that carrying would be a must in Israel...
Unfortunately not too may people see it as such because there are so many soldiers and security guards who are armed. I guess in their eyes it's overkill. My philosophy is that if someone served in the army, especially in a combat unit, and honorably discharged, they should have the right to carry.

Something that irks me is this: I'm supposed to be enlisted in the military soon. They will happily give me some rifle - Galil or M4A1/equivalents, yet at the same time, I am not eligible to carry a gun I own otherwise. So they'll give me one to use, but not let me use my own? Makes little sense, to me at least.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts