Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with pocket carry (also applies to my SmartCarry) which I know is mostly psychological, but just wondering if anyone else shares the same problem. For example, when I am seated across from my wife in a restaurant, the muzzle of my loaded weapon is pointed directly at her (and/or other restaurant patrons). Intellectually I know it will not discharge on it's own, but it was so beat into my head growing up that you NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES point a gun at ANYONE, that it bothers me and makes me not want to carry in those circumstances.

Unfortunately the obvious solution, a hip holster, doesn't work all that well for me due to my size and shape (think pear!) My spare tire pushes everything out pretty badly, not to mention banging into chair arm rests and just not fitting into many chairs period. Pocket and smartcarry holsters work so much better for me that it's my preferred method at this point.

Just wondering if anyone else has shared a similar issue, and what you did to overcome it.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
I would shift it in my pocket to point it in a slightly different direction.

I have the same mindset; even though I intellectually know that it can't fire on its own, I never allow it to point at someone.

It's a good mindset to have.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I never really think about where the muzzle is pointing when pocket carrying. The gun is in a holster, and in my pocket and no way it is going to go bang unless I pull the trigger, so I really don't give it a second thought. This also comes with 14+ years of carrying, when I first started CCing I thought about it much more than I do now, now it's just second nature.

NCH

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
In a proper holster that covers the trigger guard, I wouldn't worry. It's when you draw that muzzle control becomes an issue.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
When I pocket carry I try to wear cargo style pants, the kind with the cargo pocket on the side of the pant. I can easily point the muzzle in a downward angle with little effort if need be.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My J frame Smith & Wesson 642 has a fairly hefty trigger pull and always sits in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. I honestly don't ever thing about it being pointed at someone or my self.

·
Registered
199 Posts
When properly holstered, it doesn't matter what direction the muzzle if facing. You have to differentiate between "pointing" the gun at something, and having the gun facing a certain direction. You're gun is only "POINTING" at something when it is NOT holstered or in a case.

·
Banned
160 Posts
You already know that your fear is irrational and illogical, get over it.

I would shift it in my pocket to point it in a slightly different direction.

I have the same mindset; even though I intellectually know that it can't fire on its own, I never allow it to point at someone.

It's a good mindset to have.

Why would an irrational fear be a good mindset to have ? :boese51:
You lost me there.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I can understand where it is you're coming from. My preferred method of carry is a horizontal shoulder holster. I always used to worry about how I was "sweeping" everyone who was behind me.

However, in the 13 years I've carried, my weapon has never magically discharged. The trigger is covered by either leather, nylon, or kydex no matter how I've carried. It would take a miracle to actually be able to pull the trigger while it's in it's holster.

Just try to think of it this way, you're only pointing it when it's out of the holster. If you also carry OC spray, do you worry about how the nozzle is pointed? You're good to go, and I know it goes against a lifetime of reinforcement, but you need to realize that you're not technically pointing it in any direction if it's holstered.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
As long as the weapon is properly holstered it will not go off. As others have mentioned, a holstered gun is going to sweep others, or yourself at times. As long as the trigger is not touched your fine. Now if you have the weapon in your hand, that is a different situation. In those circumstances DO NOT point it in the direction of a person, or anything else you do not intend to shoot.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Trust me, I understand your feelings! It was just last week I typed here on this site my exact same feelings!

After reading all of the replies, I realized that I was PARINOID for no reason. Now when I pocket carry I don't have a problem with my weapon going off. One solution I used was I went to the range and actually pulled the trigger on my revolver SLOWLY and FELT how much pressure was needed for the trigger to activate the gun to discharge. After doing this for several rounds, I realized that alot of pressure was needed and that yes I was PARINOID for no reason!
Now I just put my set-up (revolver & holster) in my pocket and go about my business. Sometimes forgetting it's even there! I will admit that I am very careful not to bump that pocket or put anything on top of that pocket while sitting down.

Once again I would like to thank all of those DC members who replied and assisted me with my unnecessary PARINOIA!

Hope this helps you!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have carried a Smith bodyguard in my right front pocket for close to 15 years. It is loaded and in a holster and has never been an issue. What about the hundreds or maybe thousands of loaded guns that are in police holsters that have been "pointed" at people for years and have never gone off? Don't let fear paralyze you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input! I know this is something I just need to get over, but I do like the suggestion of shifting it in the pocket to minimize the effect when possible.

It's a subtle differentiation, but I'm not worried or paranoid it's going to magically go off on it's own inside a quality holster with the trigger covered, it's just fighting years of safety lessons ingrained from my father and others that every gun is loaded (even if you just checked it and found it not to be) and you never point it at anyone under any circumstances (aside from the obvious of course.) Also, there's always that what if...what if it somehow came unholstered from my quality holster during normal activity and I did not know about it. However remote the chances, this sort of thing could happen and it's something that I consider.

I read a while back on another forum about a guy who posted that he bought a SmartCarry knockoff at a gunshow, and as I recall he shot himself when kneeling down with an auto of some kind, I believe it even had a manual safety. I know, it was probably a fluke and not a 'good' holster to begin with, but freak accidents can happen and the consequences are obviously very serious.

Anyway, thanks again for all the responses.

·
Registered
545 Posts
We often have a problem with anti-gun people because no matter how logical our arguments are the anti-gunners can't overcome their ingrained fears and emotions. We can't believe that logic doesn't overcome fear, emotion, and brainwashing.

Seems to me this is the same situation as questioned in this thread. The logic that the gun will not go off without pulling the trigger can't overcome the ingrained (brainwashed) safety rule.

Just goes to show - some people tend to be ruled by logic, others by brainwashing, and others by emotion. It's wonderful that we're not all the same - that would be totally boring!

Bobo

·
Registered
641 Posts
The OP's concern is, as he suggests, irrational and only time and experience might deal with it. Remember, no matter what kind of holster you wear, or where it is placed on your body, or how the gun is carried the muzzle is always pointing somewhere:gah:

An AD could result in someone getting shot, particularly the one who is carrying the gun. It will always be a problem and fear of it will always be somewhat irrational. Deal with it!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
So, when you have a regular IWB or OWB and the muzzle is downwards, do you realize you are technically pointing it at everyone below you if you're on a floor above ground level, or you have a basement?

Or what if you have a shoulder holster that points the muzzle to the rear. You're sweeping everyone behind you at all times. How about when you walk into the gun shop and all the pistols in the case are pointed out, sweeping everyone who walks by! :gah:

See my point? It's when you have the gun in hand, you need to be really cognizant of where that muzzle is pointing, but if it's secure in a good holster, with the trigger covered and your hand nowhere near it, you don't need to let this rule bother you so much.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
The gun barrel is pointing at your wife when you are sitting across from her and you are wearing your SmartCarry? The gun is actually almost horizontal?

I'm just surprised because my gun points somewhere between my feet when I'm sitting.

I suppose we are all different, with different body types, pants, etc., but it's still surprising to me.

Are you wearing the SC low in the crotch area as it is designed to be worn?

I can more easily understand your point about pocket carry. When I'm sitting across from my wife, if my knees are spread, then the barrel won't be pointing at her.

As others have said, a good pocket holster should ensure safety, but it's still not a bad thing to be cognizant of where the barrel is pointing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, when you have a regular IWB or OWB and the muzzle is downwards, do you realize you are technically pointing it at everyone below you if you're on a floor above ground level, or you have a basement?

Or what if you have a shoulder holster that points the muzzle to the rear. You're sweeping everyone behind you at all times. How about when you walk into the gun shop and all the pistols in the case are pointed out, sweeping everyone who walks by! :gah:

See my point? It's when you have the gun in hand, you need to be really cognizant of where that muzzle is pointing, but if it's secure in a good holster, with the trigger covered and your hand nowhere near it, you don't need to let this rule bother you so much.
Yes, a horizontal shoulder holster would have the same 'problem', but I don't really use one so I didn't mention it. A hip holster is pointed down and is not DIRECTLY pointed at people, whereas a pocket holster when seated is direct line of sight. Like I said above, I know this is psychological and I know the gun isn't just going to go off magically while sitting in a proper holster, but ingrained gun safety doesn't give up easily, and I'm frankly glad that it doesn't. I would much rather be overly safe than not safe enough. I see unbelievably sloppy gun handling at public ranges and in gun shops all the time, and I would much rather err on the safe, cautious side than on the careless side.

The gun barrel is pointing at your wife when you are sitting across from her and you are wearing your SmartCarry? The gun is actually almost horizontal?

I'm just surprised because my gun points somewhere between my feet when I'm sitting.

I suppose we are all different, with different body types, pants, etc., but it's still surprising to me.

Are you wearing the SC low in the crotch area as it is designed to be worn?

I can more easily understand your point about pocket carry. When I'm sitting across from my wife, if my knees are spread, then the barrel won't be pointing at her.

As others have said, a good pocket holster should ensure safety, but it's still not a bad thing to be cognizant of where the barrel is pointing.
Yes, I wear it as low as it will go (it bottoms out at the bottom of my pants crotch seam.) When worn in the middle as recommended, it's probably pointing at her knees, but when worn at about 11:00 (much more comfortable for me), the barrel sits under my pocket on top of my leg, so basically the same as a pocket holster would be.

I hesitated about whether or not to even post this question as I figured I would get slaughtered as being paranoid, but I figured I can't be the only one who has the same concern and thought it might help me to overcome it. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We often have a problem with anti-gun people because no matter how logical our arguments are the anti-gunners can't overcome their ingrained fears and emotions. We can't believe that logic doesn't overcome fear, emotion, and brainwashing.

Seems to me this is the same situation as questioned in this thread. The logic that the gun will not go off without pulling the trigger can't overcome the ingrained (brainwashed) safety rule.

Just goes to show - some people tend to be ruled by logic, others by brainwashing, and others by emotion. It's wonderful that we're not all the same - that would be totally boring!

Bobo
Bobo, I could make a similar argument that if I were to take a firearm and unload it, then point it at someone and pull the trigger, logic says there is no way the gun will fire, but the ingrained (brainwashed) rules say you should never ever do this. Technically an unloaded gun will not fire if pointed at someone and trigger pulled, but I will still not easily discard the rule just because logic tells me that it can't or shouldn't happen. Much of gun safety is founded in extreme caution, as I believe it should be.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts