Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious...I haven't filed for a permit yet. I'm 31 and when I was 18, did some stupid things. Paid court fees and did some community service. They said it was wiped from record.

Fast forward 13+ years....totally spotless record. What do they look at for obtaining a permit? I'd like not to waste money on an application if it's going to be denied.

Do anyone have knowledge to this?

thanks
matt

·
Registered
413 Posts
From what I understand as long as you don't have a felony or some sort of domestic violence charge(which you wouldn't have either if you have a spotless record) you are eligible to get a permit. So I would say that it would be safe to say you ARE eligible to get a permit. Congrats!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a friend who is going through this right now. He had a misdemeanor in 1995. It's the only thing on his record. He was turned down. He talked to a attorney about getting it exsponged from his record and was told if he did this he could probably get it. If you are turned down talk to a gun friendly attorney. Your CCW instructor probably knows one or contact the NRA.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, they said it was exsponged. So, if I bought my gun (with the normal check), I shouldn't have an issue with the permit...right???

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Here's the basic info from the state web site.

(1) (a) The division or its designated agent shall issue a permit to carry a concealed firearm for lawful self defense to an applicant who is 21 years of age or older within 60 days after receiving an application, unless during the 60-day period the division finds proof that the applicant is not of good character.
(b) The permit is valid throughout the state for five years, without restriction, except as otherwise provided by Section 53-5-710.
(2) (a) An applicant satisfactorily demonstrates good character if the applicant:
(i) has not been convicted of a felony;
(ii) has not been convicted of a crime of violence;
(iii) has not been convicted of an offense involving the use of alcohol;
(iv) has not been convicted of an offense involving the unlawful use of narcotics or other controlled substances;
(v) has not been convicted of an offense involving moral turpitude;
(vi) has not been convicted of an offense involving domestic violence;
(vii) has not been adjudicated by a state or federal court as mentally incompetent, unless the adjudication has been withdrawn or reversed; and
(viii) is qualified to purchase and possess a firearm pursuant to Section 76-10-503 and federal law.

That should tell you if you have any worries.

·
Registered
249 Posts
From what I understand as long as you don't have a felony or some sort of domestic violence charge(which you wouldn't have either if you have a spotless record) you are eligible to get a permit. So I would say that it would be safe to say you ARE eligible to get a permit. Congrats!
I think that's only in regard to owning a firearm. A CCW permit is probably on another level.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Moral turpitude...only in Utah! Do you need to get a letter from the Bishop?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would imagine that after 13 years you should be in the clear as long as it was nothing major. My brother-in-law who lives in Utah got denied for a CCW because of a criminal mischief charge (he slashed someone's tires). However, they said he would be eligble after 5 years.

I know Nevada also says after 5 years you are ok for certain things like a DUI.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I'll just say...I took some Playstation games from my, then employer...a lot of them.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Were you convicted of a Felony? If not, your probably going to be okay to go.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I was not convicted. I was going to be charged as a felony, but the restitution, community service exponged it. This should be a non-issue then...I'm hoping.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I had a class A misdemeanor 18 years ago,my record was expuinged but It will show up during a record search and you have to submit court records showing arrest conviction adjudication,the court will not give out information in an expunged record unless requested by the expungee with proof of identity

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
It will probably show you were arrested for the theft,but then you submit the court case showing that the charges were deferred after completing the requirements

·
Registered
541 Posts
With all that said, I guess that there is only one way to truly find out,

and thats to put in for the permit, i wouldnt sweat it that much, it was along time ago, a minor infraction and was supposed to be expunged.

If your that worried about if it was expunged or not, just got to the court house where you went to court and have them pull the record up..

If it was expunger there will be no evidence of it, if it wasnt expunged then your name will show up with the charge that you went to court for....

If you went to court then its a matter of public record,,, just go and check it out for yourself....

If the charge is still showing up, get a lawyer and file a motion for expungment,,, should cost around $500.00 to do that..

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Have you run a background check on yourself? You may try that, if it is going to show up to them it will to you on that also.

In my chosen vocation I run an annual Background heck on myself just to keep on file incase anyone asks. I know I am clean so I hide nothing from the parents of the youth at my church.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
there are a lot of good replies and info for you in this thread, however you need to hear from someone from Utah to make sure that everything is good to go concerning Utah's regs

1 - 20 of 28 Posts