Defensive Carry banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new XDS. 45 a little over a month ago. So far I have fired around 75 rounds through it. I took it out yesterday to see if how it would handle the FTX ammo. I loaded the 6 round mag with the FTX ammo and the 5 rounder with Blazer fmj rounds. When I inserted the mag and racked the slide, the round jammed against the bottom of the feed ramp, something similar happened before with fmj ammo except the round went half way up the ramp and got lodged in the mag somehow. Anyway, while I was shooting the FTX ammo, I noticed debris flying around like chunks of the slug were tearing off. When I cleaned my gun, I noticed a lot of metal dust. I have fired a variety of fmj ammo and never experienced this. Is this common?

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Sometimes a gun just doesn't like a particular ammo. I had a P250 that wouldn't feed HST for some reason. You may just have to try something different to see what works.

Reactions: AmmoFan01

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I like to take new mags and load them fully then let them sit a week. New springs can possibly cause feed issues.
Or as Ianthin stated, could be the ammo. Check the smoothness of the feed ramp?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The chambering issue seems to occur when I try to chamber the first round by pulling the slide back and releasing it. It chambers fine if the slide is already in the rearward position. The FTX ammo cycled fine while firing, it just threw debris while cycling for some reason. I will definitely try a different kind of ammo. I may give gold dots a try this time.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
It is [not] unusual to have hiccups with certain brand/styles of ammo. You just have to find what works for you and stick with it. I never use anything with a aluminum case, I don't use reloads and I will only use JHP from Speer and Federal for carry. I will use FMJ ammo from S&B, IMI, SPEER and Federal AE , that's it. Its what runs in my gun

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
I had a case of Fiocchi that would not fire through my Glock G19 or my G17 without a failure to feed every few rounds, both of which were well broken in. But it fired PERFECTLY through my new Sig P938 this summer. Go figure.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've heard that the XD has a steep feed ramp that can cause problems with some loads, perhaps the XDS has the same issue. It sounds like the polymer tips are sticking to your feed ramp. Since your gun is new, try the FTX again after a few hundred rounds downrange. If all else fails, chose another load.

·
Registered
631 Posts
My Glock 20 doesn't like berry's bullets but shoots HSM bullets fine. I had a Sig 1911 that would get jammed up on XTPs but loved UMC. My mini-30 doesn't like wolf ammo.

I like women who are taller than me. I can't throw a baseball with my right arm anymore. These are things I learned by trial and error.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Is it unburnt powder you are seeing while / after firing? Either way some bullet shapes feed better than others . My Springfield Champion didn't like hyra shocks , but works well with hornady critical defense.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I bought a new XDS. 45 a little over a month ago. So far I have fired around 75 rounds through it. I took it out yesterday to see if how it would handle the FTX ammo. I loaded the 6 round mag with the FTX ammo and the 5 rounder with Blazer fmj rounds. When I inserted the mag and racked the slide, the round jammed against the bottom of the feed ramp, something similar happened before with fmj ammo except the round went half way up the ramp and got lodged in the mag somehow. Anyway, while I was shooting the FTX ammo, I noticed debris flying around like chunks of the slug were tearing off. When I cleaned my gun, I noticed a lot of metal dust. I have fired a variety of fmj ammo and never experienced this. Is this common?

Oh, like THIS, you mean ?

This is the same issue in my XDS 9mm. I had never experienced the problem in my XD9 Sub-Compact BTW, when using the same ammunition.

Strangely, these would run, even in the XDS. Mostly, this would happen during an administrative load of the first round.

I think it's a combination of that pointy, conical nose shape, in conjunction with that soft, pointy plastic nose.

I have a relative who experienced the same thing with her XDS .45. I quit buying that ammo. Problem solved.

This was posted in a thread here on Defensive Carry, a couple of years ago. Maybe I can find it...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Oh, like THIS, you mean ?

This is the same issue in my XDS 9mm. I had never experienced the problem in my XD9 Sub-Compact BTW, when using the same ammunition.

Strangely, these would run, even in the XDS. Mostly, this would happen during an administrative load of the first round.

I think it's a combination of that pointy, conical nose shape, in conjunction with that soft, pointy plastic nose.

I have a relative who experienced the same thing with her XDS .45. I quit buying that ammo. Problem solved.

This was posted in a thread here on Defensive Carry, a couple of years ago. Maybe I can find it...
Something similar to that, the other time it fed about half way out of the mag and stopped. The first round isn't angled right for some reason, unless the mag is inserted then the slide is dropped to chamber the first round.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts