Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just returned from the 4 day American Legion California Convention in Fresno. The second evening there some donkeyhole came around the corner and shot someone in the head just outside in front of our hotel, The Radisson in Fresno. it was about 10:30 at night. One Auxiliary member was so close she got blood splatter on herself. (The person shot was not a legion member.) My wife heard the shots from our room on the 4th floor. I was up on the 9th floor networking with other legion members from around the state. I found out about the next morning. I carried to the convention, but locked up my piece before the social activities of the evening. Just goes to show that you never know when something might happen.

Saturday evening I was back up in the hospitality room. Another member of the district I'm from (but not my post) and I were talking about it. He's in his early 70's and a former Oakland LEO who was also a range instructor. First he showed me his credentials and then quickly flashed his piece which was in a leather case on his belt. He knows I have a CCW. He asked me if I was carrying and I told him not at that moment. He asked me why. I told him because I had a cocktail in front of me. When this comes out, I put that away. Oh he said. The thing was he had a couple himself at that point.

Of all the people who should know better not to carry when drinking you'd think an ex-LEO would know better. He even showed me his loaded spare clip, pointing out the hollow point.. I said, "Let me guess, Speer, God Dot, 9mm". He looked a bit surprised that I knew and made a comment about the loads capability. I quickly changed the subject and moved on.... Today as the convention closed he acted like none of it happened. Man, booze sure can mess with one's guarded stance....

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
"A couple" might or might not impair your judgement, but if SHTF and you're involved in a shooting, even a righteous one, and alcohol is on your breath, unless you know the LEO's investigating the shooting, it's probably not going to help your case any.
True, bit it is better than dead and sober. Obviously, "a couple" shouldn't mean 6 or 8.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
"A couple" might or might not impair your judgement, but if SHTF and you're involved in a shooting, even a righteous one, and alcohol is on your breath, unless you know the LEO's investigating the shooting, it's probably not going to help your case any.
Kinda what I was going to say.
A couple may not impair you that much. But, if you are involved in a shoot, (esp one that may not be cut & dry), I don't see how any alcohol in your system could be of any benefit. (It would be just another thing you'd have to try to explain and defend in court.)

-

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,376 Posts
When I was in the Navy, I had a friend who was around 6' 6" and 300 pounds. One twelve-ounce glass of draft beer would put him giggling under the table. When, we went to a major league baseball game he could have one or two beers, be drunk, sober up, and have a hangover in nine innings. I also had a female friend who was around 5' 5" and 120 pounds. She carried a bottle of Everclear 190 proof alcohol in her purse. She would drank multiple screwdrivers and top them off with Everclear. I never saw her display any signs of being drunk.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thoughts:

The shooting sounds like it was an execution and not some happenstance random event.

The incident goes to show that no matter how strict or restrictive or selective laws are, criminals don't play by the rules of law and order, nor do they play fair.

I wonder what it is about alcohol that causes some to choose alcohol over self protection. The officer in the story chose both. I would choose to not drink. One can still socialize and network without alcohol. But not my place to judge the OP, even though the OP seems to have greater concern over the drinking officer than the execution outside.

Just an observation on the choices people make and the things some focus on. I want to know if the shooter was caught, what type of firearm was used, and if the executed person was armed or had some history making them a target of the shooter. Oh well. Life is full of choices.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm not going to post what I may or may not do when I may or may not be drinking or carrying a firearm. Public forum and all...

BUT... everyone has to make their own decisions. Know your limits and what they mean, and decide if you want to drink, drink a lot, carry a firearm, assess the threat level and if that is even necessary... and go from there.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Motorbones,

A comment and a question. I agree with you putting you gun away your gun when drinking. Alcohol along with a lot of other substances will affect your decision making ability along with physical skills. Not a responsible decision to mix a deadly object and alcohol, even in small amounts. Take a designated shooter with you. :smile:

My question: I live in the peoples republic of CA and even and if I was on the top of the fanatical Islamist hit list I couldn't get a CCW in Santa Clara county. How did you get one?

Sam

·
Registered
197 Posts
My wife and I just returned from the 4 day American Legion California Convention in Fresno. The second evening there some donkeyhole came around the corner and shot someone in the head just outside in front of our hotel, The Radisson in Fresno. it was about 10:30 at night. One Auxiliary member was so close she got blood splatter on herself. (The person shot was not a legion member.) My wife heard the shots from our room on the 4th floor. I was up on the 9th floor networking with other legion members from around the state. I found out about the next morning. I carried to the convention, but locked up my piece before the social activities of the evening. Just goes to show that you never know when something might happen.

Saturday evening I was back up in the hospitality room. Another member of the district I'm from (but not my post) and I were talking about it. He's in his early 70's and a former Oakland LEO who was also a range instructor. First he showed me his credentials and then quickly flashed his piece which was in a leather case on his belt. He knows I have a CCW. He asked me if I was carrying and I told him not at that moment. He asked me why. I told him because I had a cocktail in front of me. When this comes out, I put that away. Oh he said. The thing was he had a couple himself at that point.

Of all the people who should know better not to carry when drinking you'd think an ex-LEO would know better. He even showed me his loaded spare clip, pointing out the hollow point.. I said, "Let me guess, Speer, God Dot, 9mm". He looked a bit surprised that I knew and made a comment about the loads capability. I quickly changed the subject and moved on.... Today as the convention closed he acted like none of it happened. Man, booze sure can mess with one's guarded stance....
Well....just my opinion, I'd have skipped the drinks and carried. Especially if someone had just been shot in the head outside my hotel.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I spent half my life drinking to excess and chasing women. The rest, I wasted.

Seriously, I wonder of someone would have a better chance with a jury if they had 30+ years of experience behind their judgement decision. I don't have that resume, so I agree with the OP. Maybe it's my old school hunter safety education. When the bottle comes out, the gun goes away.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Not surprising to me one bit. I used to drink heavily and be a regular on the local bar scene. I've run into quite a few cops at the bars, and they're not all straight laced types. Some like to party and party hard. When they do, they don't call cabs and they don't leave their guns at home.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts