Defensive Carry banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of Jerry Miculek's videos about competing with the AR and watched as he explained a malfunction I had never heard of, the - round over the bolt.

So in literally tens of thousands of rounds I've shot through ARs I've never seen this - well this past summer it happened! I don't know how or why, but I had no recall of how to clear it and it was a mess. The embarrassing part is, it is very simple to clear.

Here's a video I did that explains the mal and the easy fix. If you have this mal, you can make it worse by immediately going to a "reflex" drill, like a tap-rack etc. Always look at/in the ejection port first. While it looks straightforward enough in the video, and it is, if you haven't seen this before, it can get pretty perplexing to clear.

[/QUOTE]

Premium Member
Field fix tool: Top round of the mag you dropped to access the stoppage.

Just be sure to put that round in your pocket, not back in the mag

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Field fix tool: Top round of the mag you dropped to access the stoppage.

Just be sure to put that round in your pocket, not back in the mag
Yeah, a round will work but like you say, you sacrifice the round. A buddy actually used a fired case to fix this when it happened to me so we wouldn't mess up a round. A strong stick, etc. just about anything strong enough to overcome the buffer spring would work.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks R&G!

Registered
I've never experienced this malfunction nor was I equipped to clear it until watching your video. Thanks Tangle for a good lesson!

Registered
Your kindness has benefitted several of us.
Many thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts