Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
301 - 320 of 569 Posts

·
Registered
34,560 Posts
Okay, I'll take the opposite side on this one. Her sentence was appropriate. The government has the legitimate authority to decide between economic interests and disease control, it decided, she acted against the decision, she was lightly punished. Her actions created risk of death, and regardless of whether she thought the risk was significant or not, it's not her decision to make. She has to operate her business within the law like everybody else.

*zips up flame suit*
And the British had the right to tax tea however they liked. From there, it quickly went downhill.

Reactions: The Old Anglo

·
Premium Member
7,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
Okay, I'll take the opposite side on this one. Her sentence was appropriate. The government has the legitimate authority to decide between economic interests and disease control, it decided, she acted against the decision, she was lightly punished. Her actions created risk of death, and regardless of whether she thought the risk was significant or not, it's not her decision to make. She has to operate her business within the law like everybody else.

*zips up flame suit*
She paid the fine. "Luther was given the option to avoid jail time if she admitted she was “wrong” and “selfish” for opening up her business."

But she would not admit she was "wrong" and "selfish." So off to jail she went.

It appears she went to jail not for opening her business (she paid the fine), but for refusing to apologize to the state.

Bizarre.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts

*zips up flame suit*
Not gonna flame you.
We all make our choices. If you feel so strongly that you think a law is unconstitutional it is your duty as an American to fight it.
If the English subjects in the 1770's had not rebelled against laws that they thought were unjust we would still be speaking "English"
If you wish to follow any law the authorities throw down and use the excuse that it is for your own good, you are free to do so.
She knew what she was doing, she stuck to her guns to make a point using civil disobedience . She now will take her punishment.
It is up to each of us to decide what our "Rubicon" will be.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
She paid the fine. "Luther was given the option to avoid jail time if she admitted she was “wrong” and “selfish” for opening up her business."

But she would not admit she was "wrong" and "selfish." So off to jail she went.

It appears she went to jail not for opening her business (she paid the fine), but for refusing to apologize to the state.

Bizarre.
It's fairly common that a criminal who shows a lack of remorse and empathy will face a harsher sentence.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Not gonna flame you.
We all make our choices. If you feel so strongly that you think a law is unconstitutional it is your duty as an American to fight it.
If the English subjects in the 1770's had not rebelled against laws that they thought were unjust we would still be speaking "English"
If you wish to follow any law the authorities throw down and use the excuse that it is for your own good, you are free to do so.
She knew what she was doing, she stuck to her guns to make a point using civil disobedience . She now will take her punishment.
It is up to each of us to decide what our "Rubicon" will be.
Fair enough, but she's rebelling against her own state, when it's enforcing rules from a governor elected by the people of the state, designed to protect the lives of people of the state. That's not really comparable to rebelling against an imperial government that's taxing an unrepresented populace.

There are cases where civil disobedience is called for. In this case, better to follow the rules and bring your objections to the ballot box.

Reactions: The Old Anglo

·
Registered
34,560 Posts
Reactions: KILTED COWBOY

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Fair enough, but she's rebelling against her own state, when it's enforcing rules from a governor elected by the people of the state, designed to protect the lives of people of the state. That's not really comparable to rebelling against an imperial government that's taxing an unrepresented populace.

There are cases where civil disobedience is called for. In this case, better to follow the rules and bring your objections to the ballot box.
That whole unrepresented populace is a bit of a misnomer. We did have some representation.
The big part of the revolution was England was interfering with our free trade and getting in the way of our business and making a living.
Yes mostly by the rich merchants and land owners. But it was about our rights to conduct our business and financial pursuits without a heavy handed government.
Just like it is now.
Our government right now is acting quite imperially

·
Premium Member
33,873 Posts
Reactions: KILTED COWBOY

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
And therein is my major objection to all of this CV hoopla.

The TX governor should have her pardon signed, sealed, and delivered before the sun set on this case, and a whole stack of them on his desk, ready to be issued for each case that may come up.
Think you may get your wish.
AG Paxton sent a letter to the judge requesting he release her.
Governor Abbott also sided with her.
Lets see if the judge will listen.
If not lets see if Abbott will go further and grant her a pardon
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/texas-ag-tells-judge-to-free-dallas-woman-unjustly-jailed-for-operating-salon

·
Premium Member
7,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
It's fairly common that a criminal who shows a lack of remorse and empathy will face a harsher sentence.
Interesting use of "criminal."

Sometimes I think you're just trying to be a contrarian. :smile:

·
Premium Member
33,873 Posts

"Criminal" in the fifty-seven in a fifty-five zone sense, perhaps.

Reactions: CWOUSCG and PEF

·
Registered
34,560 Posts

Washes with dirt, dries with water?

OIP (10).jpg

·
Registered
34,560 Posts
Things are definitely starting to unravel down here in Texas.
I was checking the mug shots to see if @OldVet was among them, then i remembered he wouldn't be caught dead in Texas.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-bar-owner-armed-gunmen-swat-standoff-reopening-coronavirus
Calling out SWAT for a business reopening? Really? Time for the militia to arise.

I've been to Texas several times, but I made sure not to leave any Christmas cards behind so I wouldn't have to go back and get them.

Reactions: Havok
301 - 320 of 569 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.