Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times have we heard or even thought that "It isn't going to happen to me, I live in a good area"?
Last night, we got a call from my 23 year old son, who lives in Fort Collins. They heard a noise at their back door around midnight. They looked out and saw footprints in the fresh snow. It sounds like them turning on lights scares the potential intruder away. They did call the police who did show within about two minutes, not bad. I know I feel better knowing that he had his Christmas present in his hand after they heard the noise (H&K USP .40).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Glad your son and his family are safe.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
They heard a noise at their back door around midnight. They looked out and saw footprints in the fresh snow. It sounds like them turning on lights scares the potential intruder away.
Might be an opportunity to swap the manually-switched lighting to motion-sensing security lighting.

Glad your kid's okay.

Anytime, anywhere. Even at night when you're winding down, even at your own home.

·
Registered
45,325 Posts
Anytime, anyplace--even a murder in military base housing...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I lived in SE Fort Collins for 9 years. It's not a bad place to live but it is not crime free.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
I ask people how they would feel if they won $20 million dollars.

Then I tell them how being the victim of a violent crime (rape, murder, strong arm robbery etc, etc, etc) would be pretty much the opposite.

Sometimes they actually get it.

Glad your family is alright.

·
Super Moderator
50,612 Posts
Anytime, anyplace--even a murder in military base housing...
Heck, they've had murders in police station lobbies!:yup:

·
Registered
744 Posts
How often do we "all" have our guard down?

I have my guard down and condition "white" when at home, doing yard work, sleeping.

I have my guard down when I'm in a crowd of people.

I have my guard down at the store shopping, looking for what I want, checking the price, my list, etc. etc.

Seems to me we can't practice situational awareness (SA) 100% of the time, even at home. Heck, you can't even practice SA in combat when the enemy is near 100% of the time. A persons mind can not stay on alert for long periods of time and focus on a number of other things. Just human nature?

Anyone disagree with my life experience?

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Career felons, especially the sociopaths, often laugh about a single consistency. The look of disbelief on the face of ALL of their victims. Folks, we've gotta' believe there are predators in our midst. In traffic, at church, in the Post Office and at the mall. Let's surprise 'em by being (God forgive me) READY TO KILL 'em. 'Cause rehabilitation ain't working.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
How often do we "all" have our guard down?

I have my guard down and condition "white" when at home, doing yard work, sleeping.

Seems to me we can't practice situational awareness (SA) 100% of the time, even at home. Heck, you can't even practice SA in combat when the enemy is near 100% of the time. A persons mind can not stay on alert for long periods of time and focus on a number of other things.
I disagree that a person cannot maintain some situational awareness at most waking moments, at minimum to the point of taking in surroundings, being aware of the major elements swirling around us, taking standard, well-practiced precautions (which don't take barely a thought, any longer, due to experience).

Of course, during sleeping and certain times around the house, one's attention level isn't going to be above a flicker, if that (ie, when sleeping). But we can easily be open to unexpected/unfamiliar sounds during most waking moments, and while heading outside paying attention to basic surroundings isn't hard to do. Condition white? IMO, I am rarely in that mode, completely devoid of attention to anything around me. But bouncing around in yellow isn't tough to do when up and about, with the occasional jump into a higher mode when specific situations/indicators arise.

You're right, such higher-intensity SA strains our ability to remain actively, heavily alert for more than short periods. But remaining out of condition white for much of our waking time shouldn't be a stretch, with practice.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
I visited Fort Collins many years ago. Seemed like a nice place. Just proves crime can touch us anywhere anytime. Good to hear all turned out well. Police response was super.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sleep with one eye open. Eyes in the back of your head. Blip on my radar. Spidey senses tingling. Feeling of being watched or something wrong or off.
Take your pick. Most humans have learned to ignore their sixth sense. It's not always being on alert. Just be attuned to something different or out of place. Like cheap gas in a high performance engine. Still runs just not hitting on all cylinders. Little things clue you in.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts