Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I've heard recently from multiple friends who are gun owners but do not conceal-carry...When I am discussing conceal-carry holsters and drawing methods, they laughingly say, "Well, it isn't like this is the wild West or something where whoever draws first wins!"

Have any of you ever gotten this type of statement from somebody? I try to explain that most self-defense shootings are less than 6 seconds in duration. I explain that drawing quickly in that situation may buy you your life. They look at me like I'm crazy. These are pro-gun people. The type who own a lot of guns and go hunting but don't necessarily carry wherever they go.

·
Banned
455 Posts
I have a few times.Some don't take stuff like this seriously,until something happens to them,it seemsThat said, unless they are family members,each to their own.

·
Registered
20,563 Posts
Believe it or not, but most people do not worry about the same things, and we are a big minority.

I think that sometimes forum participation leads you to believe the whole world is here and we all think alike.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Well it's not the fastest draw that wins, its who makes the first accurate shot that wins usually.

But most people don't believe that anything bad can happen to them. It's only other people that bad things happen too.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
If they don't carry, why talk to them about drawing techniques? It's about as useful and productive as me talking to my wife about the hitches in my golf swing that cause me to hook the ball. It just wastes both our time and irritates her.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Something I've heard recently from multiple friends who are gun owners but do not conceal-carry...When I am discussing conceal-carry holsters and drawing methods, they laughingly say, "Well, it isn't like this is the wild West or something where whoever draws first wins!"
:blink:

They believe that being capable of countering a deadly strike is most advantageous only if that occurs sometime later?

I'd bet a few simple sessions of force-on-force (sticks, practice blades, Simunitions, Airsoft) could help cure them of their disbelief.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
OK well tell them to scratch the Wild West idea for a moment and try to put it in to terms they may understand since they're hunters. While hunting dangerous game and suddenly face to face with something that is going to kill them...(It has its similarities I guess)

And what pgrass mentioned above probably applied to the Wild West just as much as it would today. I am a bit curious as to how someone can win by simply drawing first. :headscratch: To win would usually include something happening very shortly after that I would think.

Reactions: perfection

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man / woman. If they cant / wont understand, ther eis nothing for me to discuss with them.

·
Registered
20,563 Posts
To put it in perspective, of all the people on this forum, how many, excluding military or LE, have actually been attacked, or had to use a firearm in self defense?
And how many here have and will live the rest of their lives without an issue?

Now compare that to over 300 million people. This country is actually pretty darn safe. After returning from South Africa, where I couldn't carry, I almost felt stupid carrying a gun again. But old habits die hard.

But the facts are, you will die of many health or accident related deaths before being a victim of a crime.
And I realize this is a Defensive carry forum, but sometimes I think people get a little over the top, to a point of almost silliness.

I'm a gun guy. I'm not even really into the SD side of it. I have lived it, and got the t-shirts. I carry always as a matter of habit and preparation and not with a concern that I'm going to get attacked.

And so, probably 90% of Americans will never wear a gun, or worry about SD, with a high probability that they will never need one. And it's a safe bet they are right.

·
Premium Member
37,427 Posts

Have any of you ever gotten this type of statement from somebody? I try to explain that most self-defense shootings are less than 6 seconds in duration. I explain that drawing quickly in that situation may buy you your life. They look at me like I'm crazy. These are pro-gun people. The type who own a lot of guns and go hunting but don't necessarily carry wherever they go.
I'm fairly certain I have never had a conversation regarding concealed carry holsters and drawing methods with someone who had no interest in concealed carry holsters or drawing methods.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
To put it in perspective, of all the people on this forum, how many, excluding military or LE, have actually been attacked, or had to use a firearm in self defense?

Now compare that to over 300 million people. This country is actually pretty darn safe. After returning from South Africa, where I couldn't carry, I almost felt stupid carrying a gun again. But old habits die hard.

But the facts are, you will die of many health or accident related deaths before being a victim of a crime.
And I realize this is a Defensive carry forum, but sometimes I think people get a little over the top, to a point of almost silliness.

I'm a gun guy. I'm not even really into the SD side of it. I have lived it, and got the t-shirts. I carry always as a matter of habit and preparation and not with a concern that I'm going to get attacked.

And so, probably 90% of Americans will never wear a gun, or worry about SD, with a high probability that they will never need one. And it's a safe bet they are right.
You and I disagree on a lot of things, but I have to say that was a well thought out post. Most will never have an issue. The few of us that have had an issue, want to educate those that haven't. To us it makes sense, maybe we are overzealous about it sometimes, but giving that kind of knowledge back to someone in hopes that they never need it is a good thing IMO. I fully understand that most folks live in a world were nothing has ever happened and probably never will...

·
Registered
42,899 Posts
I've had a 1911 shoved in my face, and my home was burlarized, but I agree that the odds are heavily in our favor to go through life with nary a problem. And the vast majority of "victims" walk away unharmed, although a bit lighter in the wallet. But there's just that one little time when not prepared that becomes a huge bump in the road. I'd prefer that "third time" not to be the charm that does me in.

Reactions: Ghost1958

·
Registered
412 Posts
You and I disagree on a lot of things, but I have to say that was a well thought out post. Most will never have an issue. The few of us that have had an issue, want to educate those that haven't. To us it makes sense, maybe we are overzealous about it sometimes, but giving that kind of knowledge back to someone in hopes that they never need it is a good thing IMO. I fully understand that most folks live in a world were nothing has ever happened and probably never will...
Yep, and it hasn't changed a lot; even in the "old west" was about the same as now. Most people never saw a gunfight or had cause to use a weapon to defend themselves. I would expect that there is more need for self defense in some places now than back in the "old days". Even most bad guys would have been taken back by shooting a baby because the mother had no money to hand over as happened recently. The person did such a thing would likely have never seen a court room in the "old days" because people took care of their own communities themselves. Not saying it was right or wrong just is the way it was. The men in the community would take the guy that was beating his wife and abusing his children out one night and teach him some manners.

Now we have to rely on the rule of law that says we may be liable in court if we hurt someone threatening us with deadly force. At the least we will be financially ruined defending ourselves against lawsuits. I saw on CNN recently that Michael Jackson's estate was suing because he was worked to death... just imagine Michael being totally exhausted and still "moonwalking"...what a guy.

Yeah, maybe they were the "good ol days"

·
Premium Member
37,427 Posts

My grandad was robbed and beaten during a home invasion back in the '80s, 22 miles from where I am typing this. My best friend from my army days was murdered on the job. Another best friend was found dead, drowned face-down in a ditch with severe head trauma two miles from here. We are in disagreement on this one.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
My grandad was robbed and beaten during a home invasion back in the '80s, 22 miles from where I am typing this. My best friend from my army days was murdered on the job. Another best friend was found dead, drowned face-down in a ditch with severe head trauma two miles from here. We are in disagreement on this one.
It does happen Mike. I know this first hand, just like yourself, and I am not disagreeing with you. However, most folks won't ever experience anything like that. I think he makes a good point on that...

·
Registered
20,563 Posts
I knew this would be a rebuttal. Over the last 17 years of LE duty I can probably think of hundreds of murders and assaults. However, when I think about many of them being criminals on criminals, or the type of people involved doing and being in places that people like us, on this forum don't do, or go, it's still a drop in the bucket compared to the general population.

Of course, anything can happen to anybody, anytime. But the fact remains that the vast majority of people live and die without any violent events occurring in their lives.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts