Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought an iTarget Pro and it's an eye opener. I'm not inexperienced at shooting, having been at it for about 4 decades. But, I never put myself to a timer test beyond a couple of local shoots and regular qualifications for my duty weapons (M9 and M4 mostly, with qual times and scores not hard to meet; I've shot "expert" every time).

After setting up the iTarget and verifying it works, here are my first two timed targets. One is shooting from low ready, the other from a tight AIWB leather holster (not ideal, rides low, hard to get a grip, standard excuses apply).

I know I'm not as fast and accurate as I want to be, and this system provides a quantitative assessment of where I'm starting from. Now onto the process of getting better.

Based on a quick first session, I'm glad I bought this. It's not perfect, but looks like it will help me step up a few notches over time.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I had never heard of this. Needed to use the google. Pretty cool. Do you find that it mimics reality closely?

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's hard for any simulator to mimic reality. My preference for training is simunitions in a shoot house with a live role player as the opposition. Every time I've done that, though, has been moving against a known threat or clearing a building for military purposes, and we go in aggressively with guns up ready to fire. This system, though, should allow me to train/practice some of the skills I want for concealed carry.

So far, I like it. They key things it does it seems to do pretty well.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Graydude ... Congrats on your iTargetPro. I purchased mine 7 months ago and added the quick draw app when it became available about 2 months ago. I now use the quick draw app a couple times a week to help me stay sharp on my drawing/point shooting from beneath typical cover clothing. While I take my hat off to the guys on video who can get a shot off on target in less then a second from concealment, my "old guy" average with my primary EDC consistently clocks in at about 1.4 seconds. For those thinking about one ... I believe it's worth the money :smile:

Reactions: graydude

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I have always wondered if the weight of an empty vs full magazine makes a difference. If I dry fire regularly with an empty magazine I get use to the weight and feel so will I be less accurate when I have a full magazine?

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buck, 1.4 seconds seems respectable. That's half of what I'm doing, so hopefully I'll catch up.

Novarider, I suspect the result will be the same accuracy, but maybe not quite as fast with a full mag and full weight vs an empty gun. If that's a concern someone could probably hand load some heavy dummy rounds to replicate it better.

It occurred to me this may also be a good tool to help introduce non-gun people to shooting.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Buck, 1.4 seconds seems respectable. That's half of what I'm doing, so hopefully I'll catch up. ...... It occurred to me this may also be a good tool to help introduce non-gun people to shooting.
Graydude ... I suspect my times would increase if I took the additional time necessary to acquire the sights. I've been working on point shooting for several years now and feel very comfortable with the technique. Regarding the iTargetPro as an introductory tool, I've already successfully used it to entice a couple members of my extended family who had not been comfortable with the idea of going to the range. One of them has even accompanied me to the range several times in the past few months and is now talking about CC :image035:.

Reactions: graydude

·
Registered
266 Posts
I made a discovery that improved my iTarget fun. By mounting my smartphone on a separate base so the distance to the paper target can be increased I am able to use standard full size targets instead of the 81/2 X11 Targets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts