Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from the obvious drawback of not having the gun on your person, has anyone experimented with this method? All input is welcome.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
No, I have not.

Well, the first question is why?

If you are going places that do not allow CC then I am sure they don't allow OTB as well.
There have been times, I admit, when I have carried OTB, off the body. In a small shoulder bag not a backpack.
At my side and accessible without too much fuss.

·
Premium Member
8,132 Posts
Several years ago we went to a shooting range owned by some LEO's, one of which was a woman. She carried off duty in a back pack. I never understood why on earth she would do that. Still don't.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I have not.

Well, the first question is why?

If you are going places that do not allow CC then I am sure they don't allow OTB as well.
There have been times, I admit, when I have carried OTB, off the body. In a small shoulder bag not a backpack.
At my side and accessible without too much fuss.
Because I used to carry my backpack everywhere I went and I can see myself carrying a pistol in it if and when I don't want to or can't dress around my pistol. Say if I were at the beach or some other set of extraordinary circumstances. Thanks for the input sammeow.

It's not impossible to train to carry that way. It's unorthodox as all hell. It's difficult sure. But not impossible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response ShooterGranny. Did she actually train to draw it from the backpack or just transported it in there?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tried it, not a fan of the whole off body thing as access is limited and well bags can get stolen a lot easier than my IWB.

Used an Vertx Gamut for bike rides and day hikes on populated areas. Didn't work well for me anyway. Too hard to access for the most part.

For the times. I need to carry in a bag, I think something like a Hill People Gear kit bag. Haven't bought one yet as the times where my regular carry mode doesn't work are limited.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I have carried a firearm in a backpack before but never about town as a CCW, just while I was hiking or camping (and then I had another one on my belt). Personally I don't think it's a good idea. Probably better than being unarmed. Generally it's going to be slower to draw from a backpack than from a holster. I know that some, like my Maxpedition Kodiak, have a special compartment for the gun that's quicker to access than getting into the main body of the pack but it's still much slower than IWB. Perhaps the greater concern though is that it's much more vulnerable theft. Much easier to snatch and run away with a pack than to get it out of your concealment holster. Will you wear the pack all day? To the bathroom? What will you do if you go out to dinner in a restaurant? Will you unsling the pack and set it by your chair? Kind of hard to keep an eye on it. Wear it throughout dinner? That's probably going to garner unwanted attention.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Back in 2012, I bought a very nice tactical backpack especially designed for ccw.

Still haven't used it, and it's unlikely that I ever will. (I have learned much about the weaknesses of off body carry in the intervening years.)

Maybe one of these times, I'll use it to carry a nice lunch on a hike.

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
I've built lots of gun specifically for back backs.
Most of for hikers or wilderness campers. Some have been built specifically to be 'bugout' guns...which are meant to be low profile but lethal if needed.

There is a whole industry devoted to such things and you have to be looking specifically for it to find it.

Backpack guns are a fact of life and I'd be willing to bet that most people would be very surprised if they had a clue what was carried in some of them.

Some carry handguns. Some carry take down rifles that can be assembled in a moments notice.

Some backpacks are meant to be stored in a vehicle until needed. I know several people that have the basic survival kit in their vehicle, water filter, couple of space blankets, a few fire starters, a military poncho or two a big knife and maybe a couple of MRE's in case they get stranded somewhere. Not too heavy to carry but could be the difference of living or not.

I dont expect many here to understand why exactly, but in this part of the country it is not uncommon.

Lots of LEO's around here have "go bags" that they keep in case they get called out. They'll have some firearms with several loaded mags at the ready. I made lots of money building guns for that purpose alone.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I do OTB carry occasionally, depending on the situation. Not with a backpack though, not sure how that would work well. Messenger bags and shoulder type bags can work well if you think it through. The main drawback is what Phaedrus has mentioned though. You have to have the bag on you 100% of the time. You mentioned the beach. Do you want your backpack on your body 100% of the time while you're at the beach? Are you going to swim with it? Play volleyball with it? You get the idea.

When I started using a bag for OTB, I was commuting to work on the bus, working in an office downtown. I had a safe in my desk that I was able to lock it in. Now I'll use it if I'm going out for the day and not getting into a situation where the bag is going to be separated from me. The mall, errands, that kind of thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not a backpack for me. I use the sling type where I can swing it in front of me for easy access. Sitting on the bus/subway is the same way. Have the zipper about halfway open and you're done.

·
Premium Member
8,132 Posts
Thanks for the response ShooterGranny. Did she actually train to draw it from the backpack or just transported it in there?
When she reached it to show us how she carried, it was smooth and fast, so I'm guessing she trained that way. No she did not pull it out and brandish it......

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I've built lots of gun specifically for back backs.
Most of for hikers or wilderness campers. Some have been built specifically to be 'bugout' guns...which are meant to be low profile but lethal if needed.

There is a whole industry devoted to such things and you have to be looking specifically for it to find it.

Backpack guns are a fact of life and I'd be willing to bet that most people would be very surprised if they had a clue what was carried in some of them.

Some carry handguns. Some carry take down rifles that can be assembled in a moments notice.
Great points, but unless I misread the OP (and I could have) I believe s/he meant a backpack as an alternative for carrying IWB or OWB for EDC or CCW. You're 100% right, a rifle in a bag for bugout use or to pack into the woods is a popular item.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't specify. What I was thinking of at the time was carrying in the backpack intermittently.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I bought a backpack for my Kel-Tec sub 2000. It makes it easy to grab when I go to the range with it with plenty of room for extra ammo and mags . It could be used to ccw if I had to but I don't think I would want to carry it all day. I use a hand gun on my belt for that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
"When" I do carry my handgun in the back pack, the bag I use is Camelback and I think the model called the "dispatch". It is kind of pricey $200+ however, this is the bag that's designed for it. They are not easy to find, at least when I got mine (few years ago) you can only get it if you are LE or Fed agent. So if you are planing to carry IT in the back pack, look this bag up.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Aside from the obvious drawback of not having the gun on your person, has anyone experimented with this method? All input is welcome.
I carried in a fanny pack a couple of times. Does that count? I switched immediately to pocket carry and that's been my daily method for 9 years now.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I, too, have (on rare occasion) found the Ka-Bar TDI Fanny Pack an ideal carry method. I modified it by sewing a big Velcro "receiving" pad on there and change between BIG, bright (advertising) cloth patches that read "Nikon" or "Rapala". :image035:

I've also carried in a belt-mounted, EMT, First Aid bag. :blink:

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
My current job requires very discreet carry.
As I type this I am pocket carrying an LCP with my messenger case setting next to me with the P95 and two extra mags in it.
It is actually pretty easy to keep with me and is completely explainable why I don't let it out of my sight as I also carry confidential medical info for my client.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts