Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm genuinely curious and a little concerned.

I actually love Glock...

Heck... I even like how they look... I really don't think they are ugly as a lot of people claim.

But the craziness associated with the Glock community where they romanticize the reliability claiming it is the most reliable striker-fired pistol in the world. Fewer parts, fewer things which can go wrong... ad nauseam.

It's just a little weird to the point where I found myself slowly distancing myself from the Glock community despite having a soft spot in my heart for them.

Here is the reality, there are just as many guns out right now just as reliable as the Glock, with better ergonomics and handles recoil better...

The only thing which Glock is still King at is aftermarket support... and that gap is closing as well.

What are your thoughts? What's with the Glock obsession by the fans?
---
Looking forward to someone to jump in here and just say, "Because it is." 😂 Some of you guys on this forum are way too predictable.

·
Vendor
1,616 Posts
I carry a Glock 17 and have for s long time but I also have several striker fired guns and they all have function 100% for me.
I'm not sure I would call any of them the best striker fired gun, it may just be a Glock snob thing.
They work but do does a long list of the striker fired guns.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
771 Posts
I like Glocks... a lot. But I've recently switched out all my Glocks for M&P counterparts. I've always liked the M&Ps and the newer series is just more goodness. The 2.0 pistols appealed enough to me to make the change. The only Glock I'm keeping is a G42.

Glocks are very good but they are not the only game in town.

·
Super Moderator
19,300 Posts
What are your thoughts? What's with the Glock obsession by the fans?
Every marque has its fan boys - even Yugo and Jennings. Glocks and 1911s are prolific and well-supported by the aftermarket. The 1911 has history and an effective big-bore caliber on its side, the Glock has lower cost and entry-level mechanical competence required to modify it as advantages. But the world's top action, bullseye, and speed shooters as a group do not embrace much of what Glock has to offer, which may be telling.

I think it's just human nature to find reasons as to why one's choice in anything is superior. Limit the subject to topics heavily infused with testosterone, the passions run higher. Let me tell you why the Red Sox are the best baseball team in history...

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Glock is the standard that all other striker fired pistols are compared against. Most in LE use them, and most in military SOF units use them. As far as recoil, I own 4 glocks and I don’t think they have much recoil.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ms gamboolgal and I EDC G-26's.

We have S&W's J-frames, Sigs, Berreta's, Kimber's, Rugers, and Colts and a bunch of Glocks. Had a Kahr and got rid of it as it was a jamomatic.

The Glocks are by far the most reliable and will eat anything.

It took afew years for ms. gamboolgal to get comfortable and decide to carry a G-26. Her progression was S&W J-frame to Sig P-938 Equinox to Glock.

I did a similar progression. I did not want to EDC a Glock. But they go bang and are the most reliable pistol(s) we have. So I carry Glocks.

Are Glocks the best in the world? I do not know, but I believe in my Glocks and have confidence in them.

gamboolman....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ms gamboolgal and I EDC G-26's.

We have S&W's J-frames, Sigs, Berreta's, Kimber's, Rugers, and Colts and a bunch of Glocks. Had a Kahr and got rid of it as it was a jamomatic.

The Glocks are by far the most reliable and will eat anything.

It took afew years for ms. gamboolgal to get comfortable and decide to carry a G-26. Her progression was S&W J-frame to Sig P-938 Equinox to Glock.

I did a similar progression. I did not want to EDC a Glock. But they go bang and are the most reliable pistol(s) we have. So I carry Glocks.

Are Glocks the best in the world? I do not know, but I believe in my Glocks and have confidence in them.

gamboolman....
What did you use to determine that your Glocks were more reliable than your Sigs and Berreta's? Did your other pistols not go bang as often as your Glock?

I have had Glocks that jammed... but that is anecdotal evidence, to say the least.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Best in the world? No. Right now they're just one of many closely equivalent brands. The have their advantages and disadvantages. Right now, if I were to buy a striker gun it would likely be a Smith M&P. I might also buy a SIG, but that would be a particular gun, the P365. There are some Glocks that pique my interest, gut that's mainly for specific features. In general, I think their good, but nothing special.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I don't own any Glocks. Don't own any striker handguns. Just the way it worked out.
I do have bolt action rifles. They're striker fired, so I have nothing against that type of system.
Wife has a Shield that she's not fond of, but not because it's striker fired.
People worry/obsess about the strangest things.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I don't know who makes the "best" which leads me to believe there is no best. If there was, we would all know about it. There are a lot of favorites. The only striker fired guns that I own, that I can think of this early on a Saturday is Glock.
Here is why I own Glocks:
Blue Lable program, under $400, with night sites low 4s.
Reliable, I know other makes are also.
Simple.

Glock has to get it right. They are a one trick pony. I know their website shows they make many different models of handguns, but in reality they only make one model of handgun. They make it in several calibers and sizes. A Smith and Wesson 686 is a 686, regardless of configuration, same thing with 1911s.

·
Registered
8,555 Posts
The attraction of Glocks is the thrill of living dangerously, living on the edge, knowing that if your gun handling is not perfect, all the time, you will negligently shoot yourself or someone else. A Glock guy is saying to people who carry safer guns, "My gun handling is better than yours, pardner. I'm not afraid of a bullet in the leg like YOU obviously are!"

It's also a gun for people who love Zen-like paradoxes, like the "safety trigger," where the same actuator that makes the gun fire when you want it to, is also the one that's supposed to keep it from firing when you don't want it to. It's like "the sound of one hand clapping." Another paradox is the idea that "Perfection," can be improved on, at least five times, so far. Was it perfect then? Is it perfect now? Contemplating existential things like that can lead to enlightenment.

Finally, it's a gun for people who appreciate the functional beauty of a firearm that looks like it was designed by Lego.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
In this day and time I have no idea of what (or if) "people think!" The country is crazy. But to the question, I've never been a fan of Glocks, they are good enough. They are reliable, but then, I've owned a number of striker-fired pistols and they've all been reliable. On the other hand, I shoot several of those other brands much better than Glocks.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts