Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
Pistoleer
497 Posts
I would consider getting a glock or something similar to have that type of pistol represented in my collection but I don't see any of them worth over $300 new so I don't have one. They are overpriced for what they are and the gun manufacturers love that because they have a higher profit margin on them over previous pistols they manufactured in the past. It ends up being a double negative for me because in addition to the high asking price I also find several design details of the pistol to be inferior to what came before it. Kudos to Gaston Glock for his companies marketing campaign to convince people to jump on his products band wagon as they have certainly been a successful company over the years.

·
Premium Member
33,908 Posts
I'm genuinely curious and a little concerned.

I actually love Glock...

Heck... I even like how they look... I really don't think they are ugly as a lot of people claim.

But the craziness associated with the Glock community where they romanticize the reliability claiming it is the most reliable striker-fired pistol in the world. Fewer parts, fewer things which can go wrong... ad nauseam.

It's just a little weird to the point where I found myself slowly distancing myself from the Glock community despite having a soft spot in my heart for them.

Here is the reality, there are just as many guns out right now just as reliable as the Glock, with better ergonomics and handles recoil better...

The only thing which Glock is still King at is aftermarket support... and that gap is closing as well.

What are your thoughts? What's with the Glock obsession by the fans?
---
Looking forward to someone to jump in here and just say, "Because it is." 😂 Some of you guys on this forum are way too predictable.
Strawman much?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I didn't even shoot a Glock until about 2015 because the "fan boys" were so annoying. I have since owned 3 and still have the G21. I much prefer steel and wood as far as feel and looks.
I actually carry revolvers more than anything because I feel they are a much safer gun to deal with every day. And having nothing else to do but pull the trigger is what I like in a self defense gun and I started out with DA/SA on semi autos.
The Glock is one of the softest shooting 45's I have owned second only to my S&W 4506 which was a very heavy gun.
I loved my 1911 but got tired of the maintenance routines vs the Glock.

Like I said my main guns are all revolvers and I only own 2 semi autos the Glock and a Walther PPS classic.

Glocks work and they have much much more market support than anything else out there including M&P. Its no contest really. My mags are 19 bucks and my Sig HK and Walther mags were all closer to 40 bucks each. Parts are super cheap to buy and even little small town gun shops carry mags and holsters for almost every model.

My G21 shoots crappy Russian steel cased all day long. So would my 4506 and likely others would as well. My 1911 would not.

When you run a gun dirty and hot and really push the design Glock just works. Its not "perfection" its enough tolerance slop to run that way. They are not match grade accuracy by any means nor are they meant to be. Get yourself a tuned 1911 for bullseye work.
I don't care about bullseye precision in self defense.

I prefer heavier triggers than stock Glocks but, they are easy to change if you like.
Once I got past the extreme Glock people I have come to appreciate what they are even though they are not the gun I carry the most.

That said in a SHTF event I am grabbing the G21 over anything else in the safe as far as handguns go.

·
Super Moderator
23,372 Posts
"But the craziness associated with the Glock community where they romanticize the reliability claiming it is the most reliable striker-fired pistol in the world. Fewer parts, fewer things which can go wrong... ad nauseam."

I actually don't see this anywhere, but I avoid places like that anyway. :sneaky:

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Glock is perfect, if you are issuing to a wide variety of usere, fielding several frame sizes, and my need to field different calibers or switch the caliber you issue. The users and armorers are all on the same manual.

Glock is great if you have Lego shaped hands.
Glock is great if you point shoot and don't really need sights. But you will point shoot high because the ergonomics are messed up, so you should use the weird sights.

Glock is great if you want to buy a pistol that is perfect out of the box, then spend half the price of the gun to upgrade it so it is comfortable to use.

But if none of that applies to you, buy a Walther, S&W, H&K, or CZ striker gun.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I think they are probably the standard by which all striker fired pistols are compared to. Glock marketing was pretty smart as well.....convince LE agencies to outfit their departments, then offer the individual officer a deep discount to buy his own and the "magic" spread. They made it simple enough where they can teach an average Joe ( I know I have been through several courses) to be an "armorer" in less than 8 hours. They made parts and magazines plentiful and cheap. The finish and metal treatment, while not as pretty as some, does seem to be more corrosion resistant than the M&P and Beretta PX4 in my experience.

It also does not hurt that they are reasonably accurate at self defense ranges and they are reliable. Are they better than a Sig P320 or M&P? Probably not.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Glock introduced a lot of people to striker-fired polymer pistols. They are not in any way bad, and a lot of people are very brand loyal. As many have noted, they are the Toyota Carolla of guns and the Toyota Carolla has been called the refrigerator of cars; a quiet, reliable appliance.

I only have one Glock, a G42, but, like most other gun-nuts, have shot several. I still don't like the "trigger safety" that Glock has made near-ubiquitous in the pistol market. However, I remain an aficionado of grip safeties, which is its own weird camp.

As far as best, that is one of those things that is subjective to the user. It is a good choice, as is: H&K, S&W, FN, CZ and a slew of others.

. . . and now my bulldog wants in my lap, so I end this comment.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts

I actually love Glock...

Heck... I even like how they look... I really don't think they are ugly as a lot of people claim.

But the craziness associated with the Glock community where they romanticize the reliability claiming it is the most reliable striker-fired pistol in the world. Fewer parts, fewer things which can go wrong... ad nauseam.

It's just a little weird to the point where I found myself slowly distancing myself from the Glock community despite having a soft spot in my heart for them.

Here is the reality, there are just as many guns out right now just as reliable as the Glock, with better ergonomics and handles recoil better...

The only thing which Glock is still King at is aftermarket support... and that gap is closing as well.

What are your thoughts? What's with the Glock obsession by the fans?
---
Looking forward to someone to jump in here and just say, "Because it is." 😂 Some of you guys on this forum are way too predictable.

What possible earthly difference does it make if people like or dislike Glocks? If you don't like vanilla ice cream, just don't eat any. Problem solved.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Hey, how may pistols have you owned and why was your G26 Gen 5 the best?
I probably should have said several rather than "a lot" since that has a different meaning on gun forums where some folks have had dozens, or even hundreds. I've owned a couple dozen total, and my G26s were my best for a very simple reason. Neither one ever had so much as a hiccup or ever spit brass in my face in thousands of rounds. I can't say that about any other gun I've ever owned, including 2 other Glocks. Besides that, if I had to rank all the guns I've owned for accuracy (mine, not anyone else's), those 2 Glocks would be tied for first. They are simply the best guns I've ever owned. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
The reason I like Glocks is they can be fired sideways like on TV and the movies.
Only the .40's, and only if you hold them over your head. 😜

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
823 Posts
"Because it is!" There you go. Now you won't have to change your opinion despite the well reasoned and intelligent responses you have received prior to this one. You're welcome.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
As others have said, for me it's the readily available and pretty inexpensive parts, both OEM and aftermarket. Barrels, springs, etc. are easy to find. Add to that the pistol is easy to fully strip, really no special tools required. Very resistant to corrosion certainly doesn't hurt.
It ain't purdy - so what! I'm a function over form guy. If I drop a Glock in the mud, I can swish it around in a water puddle and things will be fine. Drop a Wilson in the mud puddle and have heartburn until I can fully strip, clean and oil the thing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The attraction of Glocks is thrill of living dangerously, living on the edge, knowing that if your gun handling is not perfect, all the time, you will negligently shoot yourself or someone else. A Glock guy is saying to people who carry safer guns, "My gun handling is better than yours, pardner. I'm not afraid of a bullet in the leg like YOU obviously are!"

It's also a gun for people who love Zen-like paradoxes, like the "safety trigger," where the same actuator that makes the gun fire when you want it to, is also the one that's supposed to keep it from firing when you don't want it to. It's like "the sound of one hand clapping." Another paradox is the idea that "Perfection," can be improved on, at least five times, so far. Was it perfect then? Is it perfect now? Contemplating existential things like that can lead to enlightenment.

Finally, it's a gun for people who appreciate the functional beauty of a firearm that looks like it was designed by Lego.
This was one of the funniest/most entertaining posts I've seen in a while. lol. Good job! 😂🤣

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Best is relative. What Glock does well is produce an extremely reliable firearm at a competitive price point. Interchange parts, plenty of inventory. A trigger system that is easy to master and allows substandard shooters to achieve decent accuracy.

Some Glocks have issues. G36 for example. Multiple instances of catastrophic magazine failure caused me to leave the brand behind. But I sure did miss that trigger and the sights.

Owned many pistols over the decades. Hands down best in my opinion are the Colt 1911 and variants, Smith & Wesson 3rd generation autos, and Glock. They work.

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
Dunno....

I have 2 Glocks and am planning on a 3rd soon. I don't know about "best in the world", however, they work with boring regularity, they are relatively inexpensive, impervious to the elements and parts are everywhere if you need them.

21 - 40 of 168 Posts