Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 168 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,490 Posts
Brand loyalty is a real thing. Just ask anyone in marketing.

That being said, Glocks have a track record of being very reliable out of the box.

But every manufacturer (Glock, CZ, etc.) and/or certain guns (1911's, revolvers, etc.) have a loyal following. People find what works for them.

What I find more annoying than "fan boys" are those that create the "[FILL IN GUN HERE] Suck!" videos. After a decade, James Yeager is still laughing about that one.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
What did you use to determine that your Glocks were more reliable than your Sigs and Berreta's? Did your other pistols not go bang as often as your Glock?

I have had Glocks that jammed... but that is anecdotal evidence, to say the least.
I’ve shot sig p2xx guns quite a bit and they were about as reliable and durable as a pistol could get, although they are DA/SA and cost more than 1.5x As much as a glock. I’ve never shot a p320 but I think there are some threads here about how they will fire every time you pull the trigger and sometimes when you don’t. I also shoot my glocks better than I ever did any of the sigs. Not that that makes the glock a better gun, but it makes it a better fit for me.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,883 Posts
I have probably owned around fifteen different Glocks since I bought a G20 10mm in 1992. At one time I owned nine Glocks; three 10mm, three .45 ACP, and three 9mm. I currently one one Glock, a G35 .40 S&W. It is on consignment for sale at the LGS.

My two current polymer guns are a Springfield Armory XDM .40 S&W and an XDM 10mm.

·
Registered
34,754 Posts
I have probably owned around fifteen different Glocks since I bought a G20 10mm in 1992. At one time I owned nine Glocks; three 10mm, three .45 ACP, and three 9mm. I currently one one Glock, a G35 .40 S&W. It is on consignment for sale at the LGS.

My two current polymer guns are a Springfield Armory XDM .40 S&W and an XDM 10mm.
Quitter!

·
Registered
479 Posts
That's an advantage, not a disadvantage. One basic design modified for different sizes, calibers and uses. Once you know the manual of arms for one, you know it for all of them. A lot of them can use parts interchangably. Once you know how to work on one (to the level of a detail strip), you can do it for all of them.

There's a very well respected school of thought that someone should keep all their guns or at least one category of guns (hand guns, rifle/carbine, etc.) to one design/system, so you don't get confused in a high stress situation. Having a mishmash of different guns that work differently is probably a bad idea.

Note that by doing this Glock went from nothing to one of the biggest handgun manufacturers in the world in a very short period of time.

Glock has to get it right. They are a one trick pony. I know their website shows they make many different models of handguns, but in reality they only make one model of handgun. They make it in several calibers and sizes. A Smith and Wesson 686 is a 686, regardless of configuration, same thing with 1911s.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I own/have owned many different brands and typed of pistols, carried several different ones, but a few years ago, settled on Glock. Many complain about ergos and grip angle, but apparently Glock fits me fine as I tend to be able to shoot them better than my other handguns. Parts are cheap, readily available, and easy to install. Magazines are relatively cheap. Trigger is mediocre (pretty much standard on striker fired pistols) but adequate.

Are there "better" striker fired pistols? Maybe, but that doesn't make the Glock a bad choice. Given my positive experience with Glock, why should I change to something else for a potential negligible advantage? Don't see the need to join the Gun of the Week Club and/or have what all the cool kids do.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
My only experience with Glock is with a 4 yr old G19, which, with approx 2500 rounds downrange, has never had an issue. But neither has my Sig P226, which is 30 yrs older than the Glock. Both of them run perfectly despite the ammo choice.
But, in my experience over 50+ years of shooting sports, there is really no "best". There's just what works best for you and your needs.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm not here to argue if they are the best or not.
Most gun owners have 1 or 2 guns, and one of them is often a Glock. It's human nature to prefer what you're familiar with.
People see Glocks in movies, video games and TV. They see them on the hip of officers and at every gun store and gun range.
How many 'fanboys' of any brand have extensive experience with dozens of other brands and models to have an opinion that is worth listening to?
I generally discount anyone who declares one firearm brand or model as the best. I have favorites, I have guns I shoot better than others, I have preferences for some guns over others, reasons I'd recommend one over another, But you'll never get me to tell you a Glock 17 is better or worse than an M&P 9, Sig P320, CZ P10, Springfield XD, HK VP9, Walther PPQ, etc. They're all good, declaring one "the best" is a fool's errand.

·
Registered
42 Posts
They are all basically the same to me. Pick one that fits your budget in the color you want and go from there. Its like trying to decide which type of apple is the best.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
Heck I like all kinds of firearms as long as they are reliable and work for me. I am a huge Beretta fan but everyday I walk out the door I have a Glock on me as that is what I am trusting my life and my families life to. I own (4) of them with the newest addition a 30S. I have no qualms what you carry as long as it works for you. Carry on.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
For me, Glocks are a bit like Swiss Army Knives.

I know that both will be ready to go, right out of the box. Neither will be the "best" at anything, but each will do its job well.

From a practical point of view, I don't think there is anything better.

And...odds are I'll probably end up buying yet another one at some point.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
The great Glock controversy hasn’t been settled yet?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was a firearm instructor for a large police department. We did a considerable amount more training in our specialized division regarding firearms. Officers purchased their on weapons carried on duty. I had a female officer during one training have her Glock 19 malfunction. As a Glock armor I stripped the weapon down and found the trigger reset spring had broken. I replaced it and also noticed the weapon was fifthy beyond belief. I cleaned and returned the weapon to the officer. I brought to her attention how dirty the weapon was. Her first Statement was she paid someone to clean her gun. When I told her she need to get her money back, unbelievably she started crying. After a short talk she confessed she had never cleaned her gun. She only oiled it at the range just prior to training. Needless to say I was dumbfounded. She had purchased this weapon when Glock was first made available to law enforcement which would be around 1990. So this Glock 19 first generation had had thousands of rounds fired through it never cleaned only oiled for well over twenty years and preformed until which time the trigger spring broke. Also the weapon would still fire but you had to snap it in a downward motion to reset the trigger spring. I related this I information to a Glock representative. They wanted that weapon from the officer and was willing to give her a new weapon of her choice and she refused.

Do I carry and rely on Glock’s absolutely. But I also own and carry Sig Sauer also.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Best? Define best. Too many people have too many different definitions and many of them would exclude the Glock. Best for you is what's best for you. If I was to buy another EDC, I'd be looking at something other than what I have. I have a good one, and I'm comfortable with it. It's sturdy and reliable. So it's a good EDC for me. The Glock is a fine firearm and, as with all others, has its strengths and weaknesses. Therefore there is no "best" striker-fired firearm.

41 - 60 of 168 Posts