Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
I'm genuinely curious and a little concerned.

I actually love Glock...

Heck... I even like how they look... I really don't think they are ugly as a lot of people claim.

But the craziness associated with the Glock community where they romanticize the reliability claiming it is the most reliable striker-fired pistol in the world. Fewer parts, fewer things which can go wrong... ad nauseam.

It's just a little weird to the point where I found myself slowly distancing myself from the Glock community despite having a soft spot in my heart for them.

Here is the reality, there are just as many guns out right now just as reliable as the Glock, with better ergonomics and handles recoil better...

The only thing which Glock is still King at is aftermarket support... and that gap is closing as well.

What are your thoughts? What's with the Glock obsession by the fans?
---
Looking forward to someone to jump in here and just say, "Because it is." 😂 Some of you guys on this forum are way too predictable.
I think you are blowing it all out of proportion my friend. I'm not seeing the kind of craziness you describe. Many of us do like Glocks for reasons that have been described well in several of the posts in this thread. Nothing strange there. I don't see what you see. Most folks I know shoot what they like and let others do the same.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
For me, the P99AS is the only real polystriker choice.

Reactions: Mars161

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm genuinely curious and a little concerned.

I actually love Glock...

Heck... I even like how they look... I really don't think they are ugly as a lot of people claim.

But the craziness associated with the Glock community where they romanticize the reliability claiming it is the most reliable striker-fired pistol in the world. Fewer parts, fewer things which can go wrong... ad nauseam.

It's just a little weird to the point where I found myself slowly distancing myself from the Glock community despite having a soft spot in my heart for them.

Here is the reality, there are just as many guns out right now just as reliable as the Glock, with better ergonomics and handles recoil better...

The only thing which Glock is still King at is aftermarket support... and that gap is closing as well.

What are your thoughts? What's with the Glock obsession by the fans?
---
Looking forward to someone to jump in here and just say, "Because it is." Some of you guys on this forum are way too predictable.
Ask DHS, FBI and SOCOM... surely, they are not concerned with “aftermarket support” and really care about a super reliable, dependable, durable pistol that can get by with minimum maintenance.

Just sayin’...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Glock 26 gen 4 is the best handgun I have ever owned. I carry it everywhere. Conceals great at 10 + 1, has the ability to shoot a 17 round reload I keep on my belt. Wonderful gun. I honestly would be nervous to rely on another gun company if God forbid I ever needed to use my weapon off duty. I have a Sig Sauer P226r .40 cal as a duty weapon and that is a good weapon but I love glock.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
I think you are blowing it all out of proportion my friend. I'm not seeing the kind of craziness you describe. Many of us do like Glocks for reasons that have been described well in several of the posts in this thread. Nothing strange there. I don't see what you see. Most folks I know shoot what they like and let others do the same.
I belong to several different brand-specific forums, and IMO, fanbois are fanbois, regardless of brand. And if anyone thinks it's bad with guns, try badmouthing an iPhone or Mac on an Apple forum sometime.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I haven't seen any actual data that implies other striker fired pistols are as reliable as the Glock (though I haven't seen a study that says they aren't either), so all I can go by is my own experience. I have had five Glocks, and none of them have ever had a failure of any sort. I have also owned Smiths, Sigs and Springfields that have all had a failure of some sort. Does that make Glock the most reliable - no, but it makes it the one I trust the most.

As for ergonomics and recoil handling, I think those are too subjective to really use for crowning 'The Best'. For me, the ergonomics of the Glock are just fine, but for many they aren't. There are too many agencies out there that have selected the Glock for use for me to believe that there is something fundamentally wrong the design's ergonomics.

It seems like what your problem is, is not Glock but Fan Bois ... and I can't help you with that - they are everywhere. One of the things I like about this place though is that for every Glock fan boi there is one for Sig and one for M&P and one for J frames and one ... you get the idea. Hell we even have them for HK. So it all balances out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
It seems like what your problem is, is not Glock but Fan Bois ...
lol... you are one of the few people who actually "get it". I like Glocks a lot. 😂

What's surprising to me are the people in the thread who said they have never experienced the cultlike Glock fanboyism online.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
lol... you are one of the few people who actually "get it". I like Glocks a lot. 😂

What's surprising to me are the people in the thread who said they have never experienced the cultlike Glock fanboyism online.
Most, at least most of the ones who post regularly here on DC, are of the opinion that what works for them is what they carry and what works for others is what they should carry. Now granted, after only 86 posts you might not notice that.

Just a quick question. Do you lay awake nights worrying about "cultlike Glock fanboyism"?

·
Registered
34,726 Posts

It's the same thing with Chevy and Ford. Ford truck lovers will tell you everything wrong with Chevys while Chevy lovers will tell what a pile of junk Fords are. I've owned both, and both are POSs.

·
Super Moderator
23,370 Posts

That is due to the fantastic DC moderation team with their superb judgment, good sense of humor, tolerant attitudes, and Mensa like brilliance.

Next question?

·
Registered
34,726 Posts
That is due to the fantastic DC moderation team with their superb judgment, good sense of humor, tolerant attitudes, and Mensa like brilliance.

Next question?
And there is my cue to drop out.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Or whichever manufacturer gives them the best deal. Glock is known for being VERY aggressive in pursuing LE contracts, not to make money on the contract, but to burnish their image to civilian buyers, who pay much higher mark ups.

Ask DHS, FBI and SOCOM... surely, they are not concerned with “aftermarket support” and really care about a super reliable, dependable, durable pistol that can get by with minimum maintenance.

Just sayin’...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
lol okay, let me highlight ONE thing I think personally pushes Glock slightly ahead of their competition. Hint: It's tied into the aftermarket support bit...

drumroll

It's the Striker Control Device from Tau Development Group.
-
If there is another Striker Fired Gun which has a device allowing the user to thumb the back of a gun like a hammer-fired gun for safer reholstering... I am not aware of it.

Honestly, though it is third party, it's a big deal for Glock. I love that feature.

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
It's the same thing with Chevy and Ford. Ford truck lovers will tell you everything wrong with Chevys while Chevy lovers will tell what a pile of junk Fords are. I've owned both, and both are POSs.
I'm thinking you're more inclined to be "tooling around" in this! :unsure:

images (4).jpg

·
Registered
34,726 Posts
I'm thinking you're more inclined to be "tooling around" in this! :unsure:

View attachment 334549
Is that the Rambler Marlin? I always felt those looked too much like a '66 Charger, the car the guy who shoved a 1911 in my face drove.

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
Or whichever manufacturer gives them the best deal. Glock is known for being VERY aggressive in pursuing LE contracts, not to make money on the contract, but to burnish their image to civilian buyers, who pay much higher mark ups.
OR the "Blue Label Program" flooding the "civilian competition/shooting market" with "narrow profit margin weapons".

Reactions: OD* and OldChap

·
Registered
34,726 Posts
OR the "Blue Label Program" flooding the "civilian competition/shooting market" with "narrow profit margin weapons".
I have nothing against buying a handgun on a narrow profit margin. The narrower, the better.

61 - 80 of 168 Posts