Defensive Carry banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
This is the kind of rhetoric I don't like though because it's not true. Glocks don't go bang "EVERY TIME". They fail just as often as any modern pistol made by a reputable company. But this is the narrative people keep pushing as if Glocks are some superweapon immune to failure.

It's certainly true with my Glock 20. It's gone bang every time I've shot it. Not claiming it has immunity to failure, just that it hasn't failed.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
All MY Glocks have gone bang EVERY time. That's all I need to know. I can't say that for the other modern pistols I've own(ed) made by reputable companies. Ymmv.
MY M&P 2.0 Compact goes bang every time also. And I've seen everyone say that about every modern gun brand from the PX4 Storm to the Hi-Point. But it's not a solid argument, because you are using anecdotal evidence.

There are many many examples of Glocks failing. I see Glocks fail on the range all the time. Heck if you google image catastrophic Glock failures you will see some pretty disturbing images of people getting their hands blown up by Glocks.

Glocks are amazing guns! But they fail just as often as any well-made gun. They just do. It doesn't matter if yours hasn't. They still do.

I also keep referring to this video because this guy really wanted his Glock to work and it just wouldn't. And if you read the comments there were several people in the comment section who had similar failures/experiences.

·
Registered
694 Posts
MY M&P 2.0 Compact goes bang every time also. And I've seen everyone say that about every modern gun brand from the PX4 Storm to the Hi-Point. But it's not a solid argument, because you are using anecdotal evidence.
View attachment 335067

There are many many examples of Glocks failing. I see Glocks fail on the range all the time. Heck if you google image catastrophic Glock failures you will see some pretty disturbing images of people getting their hands blown up by Glocks.

Glocks are amazing guns! But they fail just as often as any well-made gun. They just do. It doesn't matter if yours hasn't. They still do.

View attachment 335068

I also keep referring to this video because this guy really wanted his Glock to work and it just wouldn't. And if you read the comments there were several people in the comment section who had similar failures/experiences.

Reactions: PEF

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
I hate to say it, but this whole thread is a classic example of one blind man trying to describe a Picasso to another blind man.

·
Registered
36,074 Posts
I hate to say it, but this whole thread is a classic example of one blind man trying to describe a Picasso to another blind man.
I prefer the pot calling the kettle black. (Can we still say black?)

·
Registered
694 Posts
View attachment 335067

View attachment 335068

So, in the video you have posted, the guy has 7 malfunctions in his first 700 rounds. He did not clean or lube the pistol properly before testing. He only shoots one type of ammo, Blazer Brass, and admits some the malfunctions happened during unorthodox shooting techniques, such as bump firing. You say my evidence is anecdotal yet you post one video of one guy who only owns one Glock and tests it using only one brand of ammo and doesn't even bother to clean off the packing grease and properly lube it first.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
This is the kind of rhetoric I don't like though because it's not true. Glocks don't go bang "EVERY TIME". They fail just as often as any modern pistol made by a reputable company. But this is the narrative people keep pushing as if Glocks are some superweapon immune to failure.
Other than revolvers that go bang every time, I have two. My G19 and my Kimber 45. I can assure you, thousands of rounds thru both and I could count the hiccups on one hand for either one. One is a $1400 pistol (that I like very much) and the other cost me $350 used. For an inexpensive gun it has been nothing short of PHENOMENAL in it's reliability. I have cleaned it, and put a set of night sights on...thats it. Pretty good for tree fitty.

Reactions: SnoMan97 and CDRJed

·
Registered
541 Posts
I know it's probably been said more than once. Glock has an excellent marketing team. And an awful lot of people drank the Kool-aid. Getting the police departments to buy them at a (assumed) lower price than the other options, and then offering a good contract for maintenance and replacement parts im sure helped a lot.

Me personally, i dislike Glocks. I shot one, once. Side by side with a S&W M&P. The S&W won out. Ergonomics was the main thing. On top of that, and I don't know if they fixed this or not, but, on the one I handled, the grip felt like it was made out of cheap plastic, like a cheap kids toy. Aesthetically, the only one I consider uglier is a Hi Point

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,364 Posts
I have owned from one to nine Glocks at a time since 1992 when I bought a G20 10mm. I sold my last Glock today, a G35 .40 S&W. My only polymer pistols currently are two Springfield Armory XD(M)s in .40 S&W and 10mm.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
18,554 Posts
I think at the crux of the issue, is that Glock being the first commercially successful polymer gun and having such a head start on everyone else, that developed the reputation to the point that it is what others are judged by.
Besides the crazy amount of aftermarket cottage industries that cater to the Glock, it’s reputation is such that it’s common to hear the advice “ ya cant go wrong with a Glock”.

When buyers hear that, especially new or inexperienced buyers putting down hard earned dollars, they will always error on the side of a sure thing.
And when it works as advertised, what is the point of buying anything else and risking a lemon purchase?
Of course there are many polymer guns that are just as good, but many people are brand loyal and stay with the safe bet for future purchases.

I’m a very brand loyal person. I like to reward companies for making good products.
I like Glock. They have served me well for many years, on and off duty without fail or worry.
I like S&W revolvers. They have also served me well.
I like Colt 1911 handguns. They work and are original.
I like Double Tap ammo because they are probably the only company to keep the cartridge from dying out when no one else was making 10mm ammo in any quantity.
And for that, I will never give a penny to newcomers like Underwood or BB for that caliber of ammo.

So I believe there are a lot of people like myself, who support a great product for innovation, quality and providing a positive contribution to shooting enthusiasts.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have Glocks, M&P 2.0, XDM-10, Sig P365... and have had many others over the years. To be honest, I've not had any significant issues with any of them and they all have features I like. The Glock platform has the major advantage of the most aftermarket support from light-bearing holsters of every flavor to sights, backplates, mag options etc. I think that is probably the biggest benefit of the Glock. I really LOVE the TAU SCD another poster mentioned. Gives me the benefits of having a hammer like my old HK P30, while still enjoying the other Glock advantages like my favorite holsters, low bore axis, familiarity, and the metric ton of spare parts / mags I had before my boating accident.

Lately I've mostly been carrying my M&P 2.0 compact as I like the thumb safety it offers.

161 - 173 of 173 Posts