Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the remaining parts to assemble my AR15 varmint rifle. Its a flat top with a 24 in stainless barrel. I got it with a pre-assembled upper assembly and I assembled the lower parts kit and got it all together. So far I have put 20 rounds through it and only had one failure to fire (first trigger pull) because I didn't let the bolt fully seat. I double checked everything and then made sure I let go of the charging handle.

I have a red dot sight on it now but plan to install a larger Bushnell scope (55 mm objective lense and 30mm light tube) with a night time capable hog rig.

I had ordered with a fluted barrel but the fluting was causing an excessive delay so I now have a smooth barrel that is just over 7/8 inch in diameter.

I just need to find a bunch of ammo to put through it.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was my first AR assembly although i've disassembled/ assembled a hundred other devices. I read lots of talk about special tools and such, a hammer and channel locks, long flat screwdriver and needle nose pliers and some tape to protect the finish. Spring pins install a lot easier with a press fit than a hammer.

·
Registered
862 Posts
congrats! what parts upper/lower ect did you use?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Man, I'm jealous

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used the varmint flat top complete kit minus lower receiver with 24in ss barrel from akparts.com and got my lower receiver from Delton.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yesterday I was firing some more rounds and trying to zero the red dot, it was all over the place. I cleaned the bbl and got some slivers left over for the milling, hopefully that will clean up my groupings.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Congrats!

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
I finally got the remaining parts to assemble my AR15 varmint rifle. Its a flat top with a 24 in stainless barrel. I got it with a pre-assembled upper assembly and I assembled the lower parts kit and got it all together. So far I have put 20 rounds through it and only had one failure to fire (first trigger pull) because I didn't let the bolt fully seat. I double checked everything and then made sure I let go of the charging handle.

I have a red dot sight on it now but plan to install a larger Bushnell scope (55 mm objective lense and 30mm light tube) with a night time capable hog rig.

I had ordered with a fluted barrel but the fluting was causing an excessive delay so I now have a smooth barrel that is just over 7/8 inch in diameter.

I just need to find a bunch of ammo to put through it.
May I ask why such a long barrel, or are you really going to hunt varmint or shoot really long ranges?

·
Registered
261 Posts
This might be a little work for you, but you can put some toothpaste on the bore brush (not wire, but cotton) and run it up and down the barrel for about an hour. It will polish the bore and smooth it out. Will help with your groupings, also make sure your shooting off of bags or a sled for accuracy. Don't trust your ability to hold the weapon on target for adjustment. Wally world has a set of shooters bags for $22 bucks. May help you out.
As for ammo..... Natchezss.com just sent me a flier this morning for steel cased Wolf @ $5.10 a box! I would soot some decent ammo to site, but the Wolf will let you throw some lead for cheap!! Just check your warrenty on the barrel before shooting steel case.....it used to void the warrenty on a chorme lined barrel. I had to wai a year before shooting steel case.

Anyway..... congrats! And my thoughts on the subject...... :)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Cool Beans! good luck with he project.... keep us posted with pics....

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I used a bore lapping kit to get 1/2moa with hand loads from my DPMS LR308B. The toothpaste treatment is next. They ought to advertise it for a brighter bore.

·
Registered
261 Posts
LOL....... Well, incase you DON'T have a bore lapping kit........
Just get toothpaste w/ floride...... we don't want the new baby getting any cavities do we?? :wink:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. It is to be my hog and varmint rifle. I put my big scope on it and it shoots really well now with the barrel cleaned up. I also shined up the trigger group to smooth out the rough trigger action. Put some grease on it and have even ordered some lighter weight springs to give them a try at improving the trigger pull. Oh and an accuwedge to try and get rid of the loose rattle.

I have really enjoyed this project and hope to maybe build another one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts