Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I’ve had this expensive rock (called a Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm) ever since I inherited it from Dad. He bought it shortly after they came out with it, as he had followed the FBI’s search for a caliber to replace the .45 ACP. I hated to get rid of it because I inherited it from Dad, plus I have this difficulty getting rid of firearms. But shooting it was no joy, and was, in fact, a PITA because it was pretty much a jam-o-matic. I couldn’t get through a magazine of whatever ammo I put in it without getting at least one stovepipe. I had tried a number of things to help correct the problem but given that Parkers, especially the 5” models, were notorious for jamming, I wasn’t surprised when it would jam again. Also given the history of the model, I wasn’t about to spend money on something that may or may not work. So, I resigned myself to hold on to it, and if someone was looking for it for a collectors gun (I doubt it’s had 500 rounds through it) due to the history of the company, I’d maybe consider selling it.

Then, today, for some reason, I decided to get the Parker, my Colt Government model, and a cheap Brazilian 1911 parts gun I have out of the safe to consider. I compared recoil springs and found that the Parker’s was the shortest and softest of the bunch. Additionally, the Parker’s guide rod is very short, and is pretty much a button. The Government model’s recoil spring was the longest and tightest of the bunch, and its guide rod was also the largest and beefiest. So, I replaced the guide rod and recoil spring with those from the Government model. Lo and behold, I was able to get through entire magazines without a stovepipe. I had an extraction issue on a nearly full magazine, but I’m pretty sure that can be corrected with some good (Wilson Combat) magazines, and/or maybe a stiffer extractor spring. So, all I have to do now is buy another Government Model guide rod and recoil spring and a couple of magazines, and I’ll have a functional 10mm. YAY!

·
Super Moderator
16,160 Posts
That is wonderful you could bring it back to life with a bit of parts swapping.

·
Premium Member
3,974 Posts
We’ve got that exact model in the family. I bought it 3rd hand from Dad, he bought it second hand from his brother, and my cousin has purchased it from me. It’s a weird family thing that we’re doing with that one but not because of performance. It’s been solid. Not a beauty queen and it was rattley straight from the factory, but a solid shooter. Glad it’s running for you. It’s a unique one.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That really looks like Ruger P series in many different ways-very interesting
They do. It could be because they're from around the same time frame. Wyoming Arms went out of business in 1992, after 3 years of production of the Parker.

It's my understanding that some folks from AMT left and went to Thermopolis, WY to make their own gun. I am guessing that they thought they could do a better job than AMT. History shows that they thought wrong. Good, strong shooters are uncommon among the 5" models. The 7" models are typically the best shooters, both in reliability and accuracy. They also made a 3 3/8" model, but I know little about it.

I believe Dad bought this shortly after the FBI adopted the 10mm cartridge, which would put this one probably in the first year of issue of 1989. It came with two Colt Delta 10mm Magazines. I remember shooting it with him soon after he got it, and it had function issues then, with stovepiping being the most common problem. I'm guessing he never got rid of it because it was a 10mm, and he probably intended to take it to his Gunsmith friend to see what he could do with it. It never made it there, as the gunsmith closed up shop in the early 90's.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We’ve got that exact model in the family. I bought it 3rd hand from Dad, he bought it second hand from his brother, and my cousin has purchased it from me. It’s a weird family thing that we’re doing with that one but not because of performance. It’s been solid. Not a beauty queen and it was rattley straight from the factory, but a solid shooter. Glad it’s running for you. It’s a unique one.
That's good that you got one that ran out of the box. Those were rare in the 5" models. Yes, they are rattlers, and they're definitely no beauty queen, either.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good for you! Interesting pistol you have there. 10mm is way neato!
Yeah, "Interesting" is the most common response. I'm just glad I got it running. However, now I can't really justify a Glock 20/29. :( But I CAN get a set of reloading dies for it now! :D

·
Super Moderator
18,262 Posts
Great cartridge to reload Henry!

I have a notion that the 10mm makes a good handgun hunting round. Of course a .45 ACP could do well for most anything a 10mm could do. The 10mm does offer a flatter shooting cartridge at longer range.

Longer range than I need to be shooting at critters.

Despite the fact that I'm heavily invested in .45 ACP I do really like the 10mm and playing with and reloading the 10mm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts