Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, here's what happened....
I went out for breakfast at Waffle House this morning (scattered, smothered & peppered with cheese eggs - take THAT Lipitor!). I was carrying my Mil-Spec in my new Max-Con V of course, rode great all day.

After breakfast I figured I'd run to Wally World for some new T-shirts and colored wife beaters as all my current stuff is shot. Now of course the Wally World in question is about halfway to my regular gun shop ... so I just HAD to swing by to see what was in stock. :yup:

I walked straight to the 1911 case .... Ahhhhhhh, now we're talkin'! SA Mil-Spec NIB mid $500s, Colt XSE Combat Commander NIB $919, Kimber Pro Carry II NIB high $700s. "Hmmm" says I, not exactly great prices but the Mil-Spec would give me redundant primary weapons, the Kimber's not bad but I HATE plain black sights and the Colt is sweet but it's more than I can spend right now. As I debate the three I happen to look one case over and said "Hell, lemme check out that 4" XD .45acp."

Now, youse folks know I'm a 1911 guy but I gotta admit, the XD fit me like a glove! The grip angle feels more natural to me than any Glock I've tried, the trigger pull was pretty nice for a striker fired laser pistol and the grip safety is a nice extra for 1911 fans. I also tried the 5" Tactical but it doesn't balance nearly as well as the 4" Service. It also has the light rail that could come in handy as a nightstand gun and 13+1+13 in .45acp ain't too shabby! :hand10: Plus all the great reports we're getting on the XDs in general and the XD45 in particular made it really attractive. So I put the AMERICAN Combat Tupperware :rolleyes: on layaway with a good down payment and I'll get it out in a few months. Sticker price was $509.99 and I couldn't pass it up at that price - they might get cheaper later on but they could also jump as they continue gaining popularity.

Will it replace my 1911 as my primary? I doubt it but it gives me a back up in the same caliber if my primary goes down. It'll make a nice hi-cap, weather resistant snake/wild dog/goblin gun when I go fishing too. Plus, now that Euc's pestered Springfield into releasing extra mags I can order a few spares. :rofl:

It'll be a while until it comes home but I'm plenty happy with my Mil-Spec. Now I wonder if Gary has the XD45 pattern yet ... I'm thinking DefCon is the way to go. :yup:
Jack

·
Registered
744 Posts
if the XD-45 4" ACP is anywhere near as great as my XD-9 4", it's next on my list! Best of all, I can now blame it on Euc!:smile: :banana:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
czman2006 said:
if the XD-45 4" ACP is anywhere near as great as my XD-9 4", it's next on my list! Best of all, I can now blame it on Euc!:smile: :banana:

Darth Euc says, "Feel the power of the Dark Side...." <breathe> :hand5:
Jack

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Jack - oh, ye of weak will and lustful purpose :18:

Haha - go in the corner and say a few ''Hail John Brownings''!

Ain't temptation just great! :wink:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually Chris, I was thinking more along the lines of: "Forgive me Bruce for I have sinned. It has been XX rounds since I last fired a single stack." :lolp:
Jack

·
Registered
363 Posts
congrats. WOW Xd's are storming the country!! BWAHHHAHHAHAH

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
Congrats Jack. :hand10:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Combat Handguns has decreed in this months issue that it is the best .45 ever.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh the 642 still gets carried a bit, just not as often. My wife's more comfortable with revolvers anyway, so if I'm out with my .45 the .38 will be here if she needs it. It's still a great little gun and makes a good deep concealment (ankle) or pocket carry.
Jack

·
Registered
570 Posts
maclean3 said:
Actually Ch ris, I was thinking more along the lines of: "Forgive me Bruce for I have sinned. It has been XX rounds since I last fired a single stack." :lolp:
Jack

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :five01:

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Very cool.....it does seem like more and more people are getting turned on to the XD45.....post a range report mac after you get and shoot it.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Seriously, when is Bruce going to burn this thread down. Hope you enjoy your new pistol. :redface: +1 to seeing a range report.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
will do on the range report. As far as buying a non-1911 .45, at roughly half the price of the Combat Commander it was just too hard to pass up. Besides, what makes a better beater, a 1911 or tupperware? :wink: Sorta joking but not entirely ... a scratch on a polished 1911 makes me wanna cry but that same scratch on a polymer? I'm not even sure if that's possible but even so, it wouldn't hurt so bad.

Seems I remember Euc saying that all XD45s have a new version finish to guard against corrosion. Did I read that right? Hope so but it looks like SA's Custom Shop is offering upgrades for the XDs (three different nightsights, two or three different finishes, trigger jobs, etc.), life's pretty good eh?!
Jack

1 - 19 of 19 Posts