Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a perspective from a newbie and I thought I'd share.

Before I had my permit, or any holsters, I had huge concerns about how I would CC. People told me I had to dress around the gun. That idea made me depressed. It's hard enough to find attractive clothes that make me feel good.

Further, I like form fitting, tailored, curve-hugging clothes. I often wear stuff that doesn't have big belt loops (or sometimes no belt loops at all.)

I'm also short waisted, which I've read doesn't help.

In reality? I haven't had much problem. I haven't felt too horribly compromised.

What's working well for me is:
- small 9mm (Kahr PM9) that has a single stack, so it's also thin

- Galco Underwrap Belly Band (sometimes)

- very thin IWB kydex holster with a clip (no belt needed. I can't wear it on yoga pants, but I haven't found another pair of pants that it won't work with)

- Smart Carry (so far, only useful when I don't care how I look. So if I'm in sweats or yoga pants and doing chores around the house, it's a good method because it doesn't require any support from my clothing.)

The only real problem I've had is the dress I wore yesterday. I ended up not carrying. Perhaps the belly band would have worked.

But for most of my clothes, one of the above works.

I get to wear cute clothes and keep my gun on my body.

It's way easier than I imagined with way less compromise or sacrifice.

I'm not dressing around the gun. I've found solutions.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Congrats, and good you're sticking to it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Having options is definitely the way to go. Sounds like you've found out what works for you and what doesn't work so good. If i have cargo shorts on or something like that, i put my G27 in my cargo pocket (probably not the best for a quick deployment or fast draw) but at least it's with me and I have it if it's there. Sounds like the gun is dressing around you!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
excellent points I can share with my wife, thank you..

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Glad you found what works for you, so quickly. Many people spend hundreds of dollars and end up with a box of holsters, before they find what works. You're doing good, keep it up...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Part of the key seems to be the small gun.

I don't love the PM9. It's hard to shoot. But I'm getting much better with it and if it hurts my hand some, that's okay. It's not a range gun.

I'd rather be able to carry my full-sized XD9!! But I'd have to dress around that, for sure (or even the SC -- too thick.)

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Good post, Phoebe.

And I agree....it's not that hard to CC (and still dress like a lady)....if you have options.

·
Banned
160 Posts
I'm glad that you haven't taken to dressing like a guy or being a slob Phoebe ! It's always nice to see a lady. Especially a cute and deadly one, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Options are good. Sounds like you've found a few.

Some advocate only carrying one way in order to always know instinctively where the gun is, and I understand the benefits of that concept. However, one way isn't always the best for my current situation, so I've got options also.

Hope you can find a good option for when you're wearing a dress. I asked my daughter today if she'd be interested in the thigh holster Patti linked to, and my daughter said, "Yes."

Options are good.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Some people are just lucky haha. It great you didn't have to invest a small fortune in holsters to find something that worked.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
If one take a little time and effort, CCW can be as natural a thing as putting on one's watch or carrying a wallet or cell phone.:yup:

Glad you found out what works for you.:bier:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some advocate only carrying one way in order to always know instinctively where the gun is, and I understand the benefits of that concept. However, one way isn't always the best for my current situation, so I've got options also.

Hope you can find a good option for when you're wearing a dress. I asked my daughter today if she'd be interested in the thigh holster Patti linked to, and my daughter said, "Yes."

Options are good.
Seems like there are always trade offs. I often wish there were some magic solutions, but if there were, this board probably wouldn't exist. It would just be a web page that said, "do this!" ::haha:

I would be more comfortable always carrying in the same way. Body memory is powerful and when you have an adrenalin dump, you don't want to have to think about where your gun is that day. But in examining all of my options, I seem to have found a livable solution.

OD, if I have some trusted help, I might accomodate you with some photos! :image035:

The thread on this board with all those pics of people carrying is one of the most helpful things I've found anywhere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Part of the key seems to be the small gun.

I don't love the PM9. It's hard to shoot. But I'm getting much better with it and if it hurts my hand some, that's okay. It's not a range gun.

I'd rather be able to carry my full-sized XD9!! But I'd have to dress around that, for sure (or even the SC -- too thick.)

Would you rather carry and shoot that little J Frame revolver of mine?:gah:

Hope you got some good instruction along the way.:rofl:

KG

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
It's not that hard (CCW)
You're right....it's not. Once you make everything work right for you it's all downhill from there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts