Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a 9mm S&W 4" Performance Center Shield this morning. I will say that it does whip the llamas' ass :D - I am really impressed by how this gun shoots. No kidding.

I also got a 4" Shield 2.0 earlier this summer. And, at the time - I debated as to which version to get... Go figure, now I have both... The original thin version, and the Plus size version as well. Both are awesome guns.

I've never been a fan of fiber optics, until now. I like that S&W puts some spiral metal around the fiber optic tube in order to protect it from breaking. I'd never seen that before. Now, I am not so worried about something happening to the light rod.

Also, I complained on another thread recently about having trouble seeing the front sight on some of my handguns (as I get older). No issues with that with the fiber optics. Very cool.

I did compare both the thin 4" Shield and the new Shield Plus 4" version. I do shoot both equally as well. But, the original Shield size has always felt almost TOO thin. I no longer have that with the Shield Plus. It feels great in the hand.

I might replace my Glock 19 with this as my main carry gun. It shoots that well.

The shop had some of the 13 round Shield Plus mags, so I picked up an extra one today as well.

Anyway, now I have 3 Shields...

The original, smaller Shield really makes a great pocket gun with my cargo pants. And, I got that one for $249 right (before this covid mess hit). But, I will say that the 4" Plus is my favorite of the three...

Anyone else have one?

·
Premium Member
7,288 Posts
So (I might have missed it) what calibers compromise your “Shield” collection?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I picked up a S&W 4" Performance Center Shield this morning. I will say that it does whip the llamas' ass :D - I am really impressed by how this gun shoots. No kidding.

I also got a 4" Shield 2.0 earlier this summer. And, at the time - I debated as to which version to get... Go figure, now I have both... The original thin version, and the Plus size version as well. Both are awesome guns.

I've never been a fan of fiber optics, until now. I like that S&W puts some spiral metal around the fiber optic tube in order to protect it from breaking. I'd never seen that before. Now, I am not so worried about something happening to the light rod.

Also, I complained on another thread recently about having trouble seeing the front sight on some of my handguns (as I get older). No issues with that with the fiber optics. Very cool.

I did compare both the thin 4" Shield and the new Shield Plus 4" version. I do shoot both equally as well. But, the original Shield size has always felt almost TOO thin. I no longer have that with the Shield Plus. It feels great in the hand.

I might replace my Glock 19 with this as my main carry gun. It shoots that well.

The shop had some of the 13 round Shield Plus mags, so I picked up an extra one today as well.

The original, smaller Shield really makes a great pocket gun with my cargo pants. And, I got that one for $249 right (before this covid mess hit). But, I will say that the 4" Plus is my favorite of the three...

Anyone else have one?

I don't have one.....yet. How do you like the trigger on your Shield Plus vs. the Shield 4" 2.0 Performance Center?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have one.....yet. How do you like the trigger on your Shield Plus vs. the Shield 4" 2.0 Performance Center?
I do like the new flat trigger on the plus. It is really nice. The trigger breaks pretty nice. And, when I keep my trigger finger off the trigger - and then bring it down... It goes into the trigger guard better than the regular Shield - because the shape of the Plus trigger is different

·
Premium Member
7,288 Posts
I do like the new flat trigger on the plus. It is really nice. The trigger breaks pretty nice. And, when I keep my trigger finger off the trigger - and then bring it down... It goes into the trigger guard better than the regular Shield - because the shape of the Plus trigger is different
I’m kinda sour on S&W semiautomatic handguns these days. I had an M&P 45 (Gen 1) and when it arrived I hated the trigger pull so much (mushy and indistinct) that I put it up for sale after one magazine. I have always felt that the true strength of the brand is in it’s revolver line.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I have the slim shield, and yes it was too thin for my hands too (I have long fingers) so I got a wrap around it which also protected my hand from the sandpaper feeling grip. This made it perfect! A big draw to me was the weight being so lite with the thin one. I’m small and concealing a decent size gun has not been easy, until now. Love the 45, didn’t know it came in a 40? For some odd reason, a 45 is easier for me to shoot than a 40.

Nice looking set of Smiths you have, I’ve always liked their guns - tried others and still go back. I’m prolly crazy, but choose the shield over my colt defender. Defender fit better but just wasn’t as reliable as the smith. May be because it was a bit shorter? Can’t say I’ve ever had a miss-fire on the smith, that goes a long way in my book.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m kinda sour on S&W semiautomatic handguns these days. I had an M&P 45 (Gen 1) and when it arrived I hated the trigger pull so much (mushy and indistinct) that I put it up for sale after one magazine. I have always felt that the true strength of the brand is in it’s revolver line.
I had a 1st Gen M&P 9mm too - and yea, the trigger really sucked. But, all the Shield variations have a much better trigger than that

·
Registered
809 Posts
I picked up a S&W 4" Performance Center Shield this morning. I will say that it does whip the llamas' ass :D - I am really impressed by how this gun shoots. No kidding.

Anyone else have one?

With the grip sleeve which makes it as thick or thicker than a double stack 9mm, do you notice a difference in concealablity? I figured that with the grip of the Shield plus being thinker than the original, you wouldn't need a grip sleeve on the Plus too.

The 9mm Shield never felt good in my hand. Not like the Shield 45 and other single stacks like the Walther PPS M2. I hoping that the Plus will feel better.

I thought that S&W cerakoted the frame on the Shield Plus to match the slide color, but that doesn't seem to me the case going by your photos.

I have a Gen 1 Shield 9mm with aftermarket an aftermarket barrel, trigger, and a bunch of accessories and holsters which makes it make sense for me to sell it off in a stock configuration, so I can buy the Plus. At the same time I am eye balling the Hellcat because of the simular capacity in a smaller package... Decision, Decisions.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With the grip sleeve which makes it as thick or thicker than a double stack 9mm, do you notice a difference in concealablity? I figured that with the grip of the Shield plus being thinker than the original, you wouldn't need a grip sleeve on the Plus too.

I have a Gen 1 Shield 9mm with aftermarket an aftermarket barrel, trigger, and a bunch of accessories and holsters which makes it make sense for me to sell it off in a stock configuration, so I can buy the Plus. At the same time I am eye balling the Hellcat because of the simular capacity in a smaller package... Decision, Decisions.
Well, I like rubber grips on all my guns. Just a preference. Also, the grip texture of the 2.0 Shield and this Shield Plus would rub me raw on my side without it. But even if it didn't have that texture, I'd have still put the Hogue Jr on the gun.

Also, the Hogue Jr is not the same size as the fullsize Hogue Handall. I HATE the fullsize one. But, the Jr has smaller palm swells, and just 1 finger groove. I have that Hogue Jr on several of my handguns - even fullsize ones. Hogue gets the edges of the rubber thinner than any of the other slip on grips I have felt. I had a thick edge where it meets the polymer frame.

As for width of the rubber grip and concealability - it makes no difference. I have been carrying concealed for 26 years now. For me - the very back of the slide (where the sights sit) and the bottom of the grip (where the mag enters) is the 2 areas that print. That little bit extra on the sides of the grip doesn't matter one iota when it comes to keeping the gun from printing.

Concerning the Hellcat. The Shield and Shield Plus has the least recoil of any handgun in this size class. That matters to me. The Shield shoots like a much larger gun. Everyone who does reviews of all these small doublestack subcompact 9mms say the same thing as well. All the rest do have more felt recoil. That's why I haven't jumped onto the Hellcat or 365 bandwagon, or any of the others. For it's size, I like the Shield/Shield Plus the best

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought that S&W cerakoted the frame on the Shield Plus to match the slide color, but that doesn't seem to me the case going by your photos.
I think it may just be the lighting. My 2 shots that I posted I converted into black and white, because it looked better. There is a SLIGHT difference between the color of the frame and my other 2 Shields

·
Premium Member
7,288 Posts
Well, I like rubber grips on all my guns. Just a preference. Also, the grip texture of the 2.0 Shield and this Shield Plus would rub me raw on my side without it. But even if it didn't have that texture, I'd have still put the Hogue Jr on the gun.

Also, the Hogue Jr is not the same size as the fullsize Hogue Handall. I HATE the fullsize one. But, the Jr has smaller palm swells, and just 1 finger groove. I have that Hogue Jr on several of my handguns - even fullsize ones. Hogue gets the edges of the rubber thinner than any of the other slip on grips I have felt. I had a thick edge where it meets the polymer frame.

As for width of the rubber grip and concealability - it makes no difference. I have been carrying concealed for 26 years now. For me - the very back of the slide (where the sights sit) and the bottom of the grip (where the mag enters) is the 2 areas that print. That little bit extra on the sides of the grip doesn't matter one iota when it comes to keeping the gun from printing.

Concerning the Hellcat. The Shield and Shield Plus has the least recoil of any handgun in this size class. That matters to me. The Shield shoots like a much larger gun. Everyone who does reviews of all these small doublestack subcompact 9mms say the same thing as well. All the rest do have more felt recoil. That's why I haven't jumped onto the Hellcat or 365 bandwagon, or any of the others. For it's size, I like the Shield/Shield Plus the best
I find that my Sig P365 has negligible recoil even with hot 9mm defense loads. Even more controllable with a 15rd mag inserted. It’s like a mini MK25.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I picked up a 9mm S&W 4" Performance Center Shield this morning. I will say that it does whip the llamas' ass :D - I am really impressed by how this gun shoots. No kidding.

Anyone else have one?

Nice collection of Shield's! I tried a couple of the original Shield's and never could really warm up to them. However, if I was in the market for a slim 9mm today, the Shield Plus would be at or near the top of the list.

I find that my Sig P365 has negligible recoil even with hot 9mm defense loads. Even more controllable with a 15rd mag inserted. It’s like a mini MK25.
I agree with you on the P365 and its recoil. A good friend recently purchased a Performance Center Shield Plus and says it is one sweet shooter. We have been planning to get together and shoot the Shield Plus and the P365 side by side for a little comparison. Probably throw in a couple other small pistols for comparison sakes.

·
Premium Member
7,288 Posts
Nice collection of Shield's! I tried a couple of the original Shield's and never could really warm up to them. However, if I was in the market for a slim 9mm today, the Shield Plus would be at or near the top of the list.

I agree with you on the P365 and its recoil. A good friend recently purchased a Performance Center Shield Plus and says it is one sweet shooter. We have been planning to get together and shoot the Shield Plus and the P365 side by side for a little comparison. Probably throw in a couple other small pistols for comparison sakes.
Please post results here! Maybe with some video?

Reactions: shipwreck

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
My wife has the Shield . Very nice firearm. Very accurate. She has the 9mm. I occasionally borrow it. 😄

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
I have a Gen 1 Shield that is very reliable and a great shooter! I have shot several Shields both gens and all calibers. One thing I noticed is that the models w/o a manual safety seem to have better triggers. My Gen 1 (w/o manual safety) trigger is good or possibly VERY well broken in 😁 Just my .02 worth!

*edit: I completely agree with Sister the .45 model has much less recoil than the .40 model.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I've seen other people compare the two guns, and the claim is the Shield has less felt recoil. I haven't personally shot a 365 myself, though

I just ordered a small Shield Plus Performance Center last night. So, that will be 4 Shields.

I never liked fiber optics before, but I love the Hi Viz sights they are putting on the Shields. They make up for my aging eyes. I may have to get them for other guns over time. They do sell the sights separately straight from Hi Viz. But, the color scheme seems reversed from the S&W ones... If I remember right...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts