Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and I've had no problems with it. I recently swapped the grip for the XL since I always carried the twelve round mag anyway. The XL fits my hand better. Another positive on a list of positives but.......
The trigger. I'm confused as to all the positive clean breaking trigger reviews.
My 365 trigger is the worst of any sidearm trigger I've ever tried. It compares to the airsoft pistols I have out in the garage. Spongy, springy and twangy and just doesn't seem solid.
Up until I changed the grip module I could actually feel the trigger mechanism move.
Because of this trigger comparing to my airsofts this is the first time I have thought of a gun as a plastic gun.
I like everything about this gun but the trigger. Twang it.

·
Registered
36,075 Posts
That twang is from the longitutimus latimus tendon in your trigger finger.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Since we are both in Orygun, maybe you should meet my FFL. Maybe we can work something out...
The early Glocks felt like they had a screen door spring (complete with sounds) for a trigger spring. Striker fired guns are now doing their best to emulate the break of a single action trigger with some take-up, instead of a double action like the aspirations of the early ones. The closer they get to a SA trigger, the less I like them. Learning to shoot a DA revolver inoculates you to trigger pull irregularities -- you just learn to stroke it smooth and ignore the hinks and glitches. It will make you a better shooter.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Curious as to what other 365 owners here think about their triggers. Across the internet the opinions are crisp to twangy. Makes me curious. I had no other 365 to compare with when I purchased this pistol.
I'd consider sending it to Sig for a look see if others aren't experiencing what I am.
I know there are many members here with a 365.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Here's how I would describe my P365's trigger, and the triggers of the two others I've experienced:
There's a fair amount of slack or take up (very light) then the trigger stops at the 'wall'. Much like a military two stage trigger, but a bit more take up travel. Then as you increase pressure, the trigger breaks at about 4.5# of pressure. When it breaks the trigger again travels a short distance. If you let off slowly, there's an audible and tactile click where the trigger resets, and you can fire again from there (the 'wall'), or let it all the way out to the beginning of the slack take up position. I'm not aware of any of these details while I'm shooting -- I just stroke the trigger as smoothly as I can.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
and I've had no problems with it. I recently swapped the grip for the XL since I always carried the twelve round mag anyway. The XL fits my hand better. Another positive on a list of positives but.......
The trigger. I'm confused as to all the positive clean breaking trigger reviews.
My 365 trigger is the worst of any sidearm trigger I've ever tried. It compares to the airsoft pistols I have out in the garage. Spongy, springy and twangy and just doesn't seem solid.
Up until I changed the grip module I could actually feel the trigger mechanism move.
Because of this trigger comparing to my airsofts this is the first time I have thought of a gun as a plastic gun.
I like everything about this gun but the trigger. Twang it.
I've bought a couple P365s. My first was about 8 months following the introduction of the piece. I liked it, however I wanted the same gun with a physical safety.

About a year later, I traded in my early P365 for a new model with a very nice external safety.
Any differences in shooting?

I happened to like the trigger (and sights and everything else) about the first, early model. The follow on, if anything, has a slightly better trigger, everything else is just as good as the earlier model.

Triggers are different, and appreciated differently by different folks.

Would I change anything?

Nah, I love my P365 with a physical safety.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I like the trigger on my P365 but I also don't mind the trigger on the majority of Glocks either. To me the P365 trigger is hard to describe but the break on mine is crisp and I don't detect much over travel. The reset is decent but not as good as good as many other pistols that I own. I do like the P365 trigger better than the triggers on the G43, the Hellcat, and the Shield. Maybe you should give Sig a call?

One thing I have noticed is the trigger to me feels better when firing live rounds versus dry firing.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Curious as to what other 365 owners here think about their triggers. Across the internet the opinions are crisp to twangy. Makes me curious. I had no other 365 to compare with when I purchased this pistol.
I'd consider sending it to Sig for a look see if others aren't experiencing what I am.
I know there are many members here with a 365.
My wife and I both have P365s. For her, it's the only pistol she carries, although she also owns a G26, a G43, and a Kimber revolver. I pocket carry my P365 on average, two days a week when I have to wear a tucked shirt. I like it a lot.

Is the trigger great? I'd say it's okay, but I don't think it's substantially better than my G19 or G26. It's a striker fired pistol and I think there is only so much you can do with that design. Personally, I think much of what constitutes a "great" trigger comes down to personal preference (what works best for YOU) and perhaps buying a more expensive pistol. After having shot revolvers, 1911s, and DA/SA Sigs, at this point I prefer a good DA/SA trigger, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I find the trigger to be quite good when compared to a number of other striker-fired pistols I've owned and shot, but obviously it isn't a Wilson or Brown 1911 trigger. I certainly don't share Arejay's experience with the P365 trigger; maybe it is just a bad FCU. My suggestion would be to try another P365 (rent, borrow, etc) for comparison. It might also be worth a call to SIG to discuss the issue.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Glock and XDm to compare this 365 with. Neither of those two pistols feel squishy or twangy like a spring loaded airsoft when dry fired.
I'm going to call Sig when I get in and see what they think because it doesn't seem anyone replying is noticing the twangy trigger like I am.
Wish I could have pulled the trigger on another 365 for a side by side comparison.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I have a Glock and XDm to compare this 365 with. Neither of those two pistols feel squishy or twangy like a spring loaded airsoft when dry fired.
I'm going to call Sig when I get in and see what they think because it doesn't seem anyone replying is noticing the twangy trigger like I am.
Wish I could have pulled the trigger on another 365 for a side by side comparison.

Would you mind letting us know what Sig has to say?

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
My son has the 365 and likes it. I told him about the XL grip kit to convert it.
Any problems with the conversion? Seems pretty simple. Just need to change the mags to the 15 round XL mags .

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My son has the 365 and likes it. I told him about the XL grip kit to convert it.
Any problems with the conversion? Seems pretty simple. Just need to change the mags to the 15 round XL mags .
Easy with no problems to swap grips. A single pin allows the FCU to be removed easily and if your son has the 12 rd 365 magazine he can use those after swapping floor plates.A five dollar or so expense .
My 365 had the safety so it took awhile before that grip module came back into stock.
It's nice to have the option to switch grips back if I feel I need deeper concealment.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would say the trigger on mine makes more of a "thunk" than a twang and it is a bit different than my other striker fired pistols. However I don't notice it at all while firing - only when I dry fire it. Otherwise I'm okay with the travel, where it breaks, its weight and reset while I shoot it. So I guess my opinion of it is while it's not the best in my collection I don't necessarily dislike it either...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I kinda think I understand what you're saying. I've got the P365 and PPQ and LC9s and previously had a PPS M2. I'm not a trigger snob nor connoisseur but I think I've shot some good and bad ones over the last several years.

And yes, I can feel a little of that "twangy" that you describe. It is a bit spongy as well.

With that said, I shoot it very well, and while I can drill holes with the PPQ.... the trigger is very good but I'm not sure that is what makes the gun so great either. With the PPQ the wall and break is amazing. But it seems like there are at least 2 steps in the PPQ. The take up is 1, the wall/break is 2. 2 completely distinct actions.

The P365 is not like this. It has take up but that transition from take up to wall to break is more of a build. And yes it isn't crisp. And especially dry firing you can feel the twang a little.

With that said when I evaluate a gun, the trigger is just one piece of it. If i can drill holes, that is #1 above all. #2 is how it feels/comfort to shoot. And the P365 and PPQ are winners on both of those for me. I tried the hellcat, which on paper seems like it should be nearly identical to the P365.....and I did NOT like the Hellcat. Didn't fit me as well. It sent more shock through my hand and arm when shooting. P365 hands down for me the best small gun to shoot from accuracy and comfort. the LC9s will probably get sold (i can drill holes with it but it is uncomfortable).

So is the P365 the worst? I don't think so. But I also can't say the worst that I've shot. the M1.0 Shield might actually take that one.

I will tell you one big plus for the P365 is no trigger dingus. I never thought I'd really cared about the trigger dingus, but shooting P365 and P320 without them, much more comfortable and better feeling as to what is going on with it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Since we are both in Orygun, maybe you should meet my FFL. Maybe we can work something out...
The early Glocks felt like they had a screen door spring (complete with sounds) for a trigger spring. Striker fired guns are now doing their best to emulate the break of a single action trigger with some take-up, instead of a double action like the aspirations of the early ones. The closer they get to a SA trigger, the less I like them. Learning to shoot a DA revolver inoculates you to trigger pull irregularities -- you just learn to stroke it smooth and ignore the hinks and glitches. It will make you a better shooter.
This had not occurred to me. Ive shot a python with 7.5 pound trigger pull in bull’s-eye using double action for timed and rapid fire for 25 years, as well as a couple Smith and Wesson N frames.
To me they’re just different and I get used to them. Or in some cases I don’t. I look more at how well I shoot a gun then how I feel about the trigger.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This had not occurred to me. Ive shot a python with 7.5 pound trigger pull in bull’s-eye using double action for timed and rapid fire for 25 years, as well as a couple Smith and Wesson N frames.
To me they’re just different and I get used to them. Or in some cases I don’t. I look more at how well I shoot a gun then how I feel about the trigger.
When I was learning to shoot DA revolver I read several books by Master shooters.They all shot DA better than single. Learning to separate moving your trigger finger from holding the sights still takes some practice, but will improve everything you shoot. My 617 has fired many, many times - live and dry. It's nice when triggers aren't such a big deal.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I have trigger time with a P365 a couple years back when a guy wanted to swap pistol to shoot a kimber ultra 9mm my wife and I were getting some trigger time with . I did not shoot it much as I really have no interest in a palm sized pocket pistol . We do own a new p365XL made in may this year and has a thumb safety now .

Trigger pulls weight is a nice 4.5lbs and I want to say its just a striker trigger pull other wise . Has about a 2.5lb take up to a soft wall and 2lbs pressure with a little creep to fire . . Maybe it works for me as I don't pull a trigger like most . I use a ( Sweep The Trigger ) method of pulling a trigger . Sweep thru the trigger till it fires and get off of it , when sights are close to your point of aim sweep again . To many try to shoot any ole handgun likes its a finely tuned SA .

Get some trigger time with a kahr with that ultra smooth lite no stacking , no wall DA style trigger . When you can learn to pull that trigger and group rounds well you will understand what sweeping a trigger is . Todd Jarrett , Rob Leatham and Young Lee use this style of trigger pull . Some Vet and pro shooter with a revolver tried to teach me the basics of this style back in the late '70's at a local match .

·
Registered
158 Posts
...( Sweep The Trigger )...
That's it. Pretty simple, but hard to master -- hard to convince yourself not to stage the trigger and wait for the sights to be perfect. You get so excited when the sights do cross the bulls eye, you develop a championship level flinch.

·
Premium Member
4,138 Posts
Here's how I would describe my P365's trigger, and the triggers of the two others I've experienced:
There's a fair amount of slack or take up (very light) then the trigger stops at the 'wall'. Much like a military two stage trigger, but a bit more take up travel. Then as you increase pressure, the trigger breaks at about 4.5# of pressure. When it breaks the trigger again travels a short distance. If you let off slowly, there's an audible and tactile click where the trigger resets, and you can fire again from there (the 'wall'), or let it all the way out to the beginning of the slack take up position. I'm not aware of any of these details while I'm shooting -- I just stroke the trigger as smoothly as I can.
^^^^^ This. I couldn't describe it any better so won't try. I love the short reset.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts