Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I decided to evict my sig P229 from it's home in my gun safe. Its a great gun and I consider the build quality to be top notch but I just can't shoot it well enough. In double action I cant reliably hit the target and in single action my groups just aren't as tight as I would like. I'm attributing my accuracy problems to the wide grip, as I do my best shooting with Glocks and the Sig P320 with the small grip installed. So the question is what should I replace it with? The new gun must be DA/SA and either a .40 or .45. What would you folks recommend?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Cz 97b

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Honestly, if you have trouble with the DA trigger on a P229, you are going to have trouble with most, if not all, other DA triggers. I don't mean this in an insulting way - I'm just saying practice will do you more good than a new gun.

That said, CDNN Sports has great deals on H&K P2000s and P30s right now. If I hadn't bought my Sig couple of weeks back, I'd have bought one. Hell, I'm about to sell a Glock 26 and may still buy one. Just make sure you get the right version. As I recall, v3 is DA/SA with a docker.

The other gun I'd look at is the Tristar C-100. It's a Turkish copy of the CZ-75 compact, and they get rave reviews. In fact, the only problem I have about is they sell out immediately and take months to restock.

You can also get surplus Beretta 92s right now for under $300 right now.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Honestly, if you have trouble with the DA trigger on a P229, you are going to have trouble with most, if not all, other DA triggers. I don't mean this in an insulting way - I'm just saying practice will do you more good than a new gun.

That said, CDNN Sports has great deals on H&K P2000s and P30s right now. If I hadn't bought my Sig couple of weeks back, I'd have bought one. Hell, I'm about to sell a Glock 26 and may still buy one. Just make sure you get the right version. As I recall, v3 is DA/SA with a docker.

The other gun I'd look at is the Tristar C-100. It's a Turkish copy of the CZ-75 compact, and they get rave reviews. In fact, the only problem I have about is they sell out immediately and take months to restock.

One may also look at the HK P30 V3

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Cz p-07

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
If Sig is out, you require a DA/SA, and you like a slim grip, CZ is the next in line.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Sorry to hear of the negative experience. Of the DA/SA pistols I've owned (SIG, HK, and Beretta), none have been better than SIGs in my hands. My SIG P220 carry with the SRT is amazingly accurate and holds its own with my 1911s. I don't know how many rounds the OP has put through his SIG, but if it hasn't been many, more range time might be a more cost effective investment. I've never owned a CZ, but perhaps that would be a good alternative.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts

Agreed, and I'm in no way shape or form a SIG fan, but their DA/SA triggers especially with the SRT are pretty good out of the box.

At least with an HK V3 (DA/SA for the P series) you can convert it to V1/V2 (LEM) when you realize you're tired of the whole DA/SA thing. I also wholeheartedly agree, IF you're not happy with a P series DA/SA an HK DA/SA isn't going to make it better, unless you have the HK worked on, IMHO the SIG DA/SA is a better trigger out of the box.

Chuck

·
Registered
426 Posts
Dry fire practice would have helped you out greatly. But you got rid of a world class pistol due to not dry fire practicing. You will come back to the fold, eventually.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Beretta 92 variant with "Vertec" (straight-backstrap) style grip. Send it to Wilson Combat or Ernie Langston for a good tweakin'!

Reactions: Skullthumper

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Like others have said a Sig P-series with the SRT kit is about as good as it gets..... maybe a CZ will fit your hand bette......but I wouldn't make that switch:blink:

·
Registered
116 Posts
If money not an object get a Sig Legion. I shoot rings around any of my other weapons with my 226 Legion

Outside of that CZ is the way to go. Beautiful guns at a great price.

For .45 you would love a 97BD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
571 Posts
Before swearing off Sigs P-series, look into getting the SRT kit and maybe a lighter hammer spring. The DA pull on a Sig is better than most of the others, especially the HK P series, and with the SRT, it is as close to perfect as you can get. I have only found one trigger that trumps them all, and that is the Sphinx SDP Compact. Hands down, the BEST out of the box DA/SA trigger out there. The only trigger, out of the guns I have owned to come close to the SDP is my Legion P229, and the Sphinx still wins.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hated my 229 grip was too thick in the grip for me....Love my P220.

If I were looking for a 40, for sure the CZ p-07. In 45....I'd pick up another 220.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts