Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, a while back I sold my Ruger MkII Target pistol - just got tired of dealing with jams and duds caused by the cheap plinking .22 ammo I like to shoot.:redface: Plus, it was a bear to take apart, clean (too many little nooks and crannies), and re-assemble.

I figured that, someday, I would get a .22 revolver for fun and target shooting - and to instruct others, and my kids as they get older. I did not, however, want to spend a small fortune on one.

As luck would have it, I stumbled on this old Iver Johnson Target 8 revolver at a local gun store. What sold me was the overall condition, and the trigger. The trigger is crisp in SA mode, and pretty good in DA too!:smile: Previously, I had looked at an old H&R revolver, but the trigger was horrible in DA mode.

This is a pull-pin design - you pull the pin out of the frame, after pulling the hammer to half-cock, to remove the cylinder for loading/unloading. The pin can also be used as an "ejector" to push the casings out of the chambers. Or, you can pull the hammer to half-cock, rotate the cylinder by hand, and use something (like a plastic coffee stirring stick) to eject spent shells via the gate on the right side of the frame. I actually like how this setup forces you to slow down and enjoy yourself!

I put about 100 rounds through it yesterday - no failures of any kind! Some of the cylinder chambers could use a better cleaning - they were a bit sticky and I had to push the cartridge in. Accuracy was very good.

Overall, probably the best $149 I've spent in a long time!:yup: While not a defensive handgun, it will allow me to do some practicing at a much lower cost, and without the headaches cheap .22 ammo can cause in pistols.

Some pics:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Can't beat a plain ole' .22 plunker...nice!:hand10:

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
How old is it?

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How old is it?
Good question! I think they were made from the 1930's until the 1950's, but I'd love to be able to look the serial number up somewhere for a better idea of this particular gun's history. I did a quick online search to no avail.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Very Nice find...I really like .22 revolvers...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts