Defensive Carry banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently come into possession of this revolver. It's in very good condition but it probably hasn't been handled or fired in many years. It is a top break loader and I'm having a dickens of a time getting the cyclinder/barrel to break open. :blink:

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated. :yup:

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel

MCG

·
Super Moderator
20,212 Posts
A lot of these top-break guns use the rear sight as a latch - either press up or press down on the sight to open the action.

If you knew that already and you meant it's frozen and won't open, then find some Kroil and squirt is liberally around the action hinge.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GS, u da man. :wave:

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Super Moderator
20,212 Posts
Well, even a blind squirrel finds a nut ever now and then... glad that worked.

That's a pretty clean-looking gun. How do the chambers and bore look?

·
Super Moderator
19,245 Posts
Say, that looks kinda handy. What with that length barrel.

A person could have a lot of fun with a .22 revolver like that.

Thanks for posting the photos and letting us know you've got it up and running.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Text Vintage advertisement Font Poster Photo caption

Reactions: Snub44 and BugDude

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, even a blind squirrel finds a nut ever now and then... glad that worked.

That's a pretty clean-looking gun. How do the chambers and bore look?
Chambers and bore look real shiny but not clean. I'm getting ready to clean 'er out right after I hit send. Thanks again, bud.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Say, that looks kinda handy. What with that length barrel.

A person could have a lot of fun with a .22 revolver like that.

Thanks for posting the photos and letting us know you've got it up and running.
Can't wait to take 'er for a ride. It's my very first wheel gun, although, the "boss" already claimed possesion of it (darn it). Fits her hand like a glove.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Super Moderator
20,212 Posts
Just a little caution, the "popularly priced' handguns were not made like Swiss watches, and cylinder timing may not be perfect even though the gun looks like it hasn't seen heavy use. When timing is off, the gun may spit lead sideways, so keep the onlookers safely behind the shooter.

Waiting for that range report!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a little caution, the "popularly priced' handguns were not made like Swiss watches, and cylinder timing may not be perfect even though the gun looks like it hasn't seen heavy use. When timing is off, the gun may spit lead sideways, so keep the onlookers safely behind the shooter. Will do!

Taking it "up north" next month to play in the woods. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I can remember when they made 'em new! The Viking was considered a respectable outdoorsmans smallgame trapline gun. That one is a beauty & a fine addition to any collection!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a little caution, the "popularly priced' handguns were not made like Swiss watches, and cylinder timing may not be perfect even though the gun looks like it hasn't seen heavy use. When timing is off, the gun may spit lead sideways, so keep the onlookers safely behind the shooter.

Smitty,
I think I still need your help. While loading the chambers with .22 lr (CCI Stingers), I'm finding that the rounds are difficult to insert in the chambers. With some pressure they do seat in the chambers, however, when I close the cylinder, it is very difficult to rotate the cylinder. In fact the rounds were so snug that I was unable to eject them using the ejector and I had to pry them out. I did try to load it up with some older .22 rounds with the same results. Any ideas?

MCG

·
Super Moderator
19,245 Posts
Been a long time since I played with Stingers but I'm thinking that the Stinger case was a little longer than standard. They are known to give trouble in some chambers. I have a full box around here somewhere that someone gave me but can't lay my hands on it this evening.

It isn't your revolver's fault. Especially if you find that other conventional .22 Long Rifle cartridges fit satisfactorily.

Just gotta ask: Are the chambers scrubbed sparkling clean?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts