Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go. Im 5'10" tall, and around 285 or so pounds. With these dimensions comes a little more of me around the edges than I want. I am considering IWB with a either a M&P 40C or a Glock 30. I have a couple of questions:
1. When buying new clothes, how many sizes should I go up?
2. Is the 3-5 o'clock position the best position to carry (remember, bigger body here)
3. Im thinking Crossbreed Supertuck. (other suggestions?)

Im just trying to decide if IWB is the way to go for me. I live in the Houston TX area, so hot is the constant and I will have very little cover for OWB. But before I invest the money I wanted to post to you guys.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Well, I'm pretty much in shape, round is a shape, right?
I have found that 3:30-5:30 seems to be the best position for IWB, but lately (last 4 months) I have been using an OWB and have found it takes up no pants space, and hugs the body as tightly as IWB.
I could put a firearm at 5:30 in this... FIST, INC. ...with no need for larger pants (placed behind the kidney, not the spine...with a 'palm out' draw).

Now I have been using this... FIST, INC. ...works very well in this FL weather, too.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I am too fat for IWB...tried it,didn't work..here's my compromise:I got a desantis thumb break holster and put it between my belt and pants.Held the gun nice and snug.I have since switched to pocket carrying an airweight,but when I carry other wise,this is my method.plus I didn;t have to buy new and bigger pants( my size is hard enough to find)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I am not fat, 6' 180lbs and even I don't care for OWB, unless I was forced to needing it for some special reason I would stick to what works for you. If it were a must I would try to find a used VMII for it for one of the Crossbreeds. You may want to look at the smart carry as well.
Good Luck

NCH

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hey Tony, how fat is too fat for IWB in your case? I love my Supertuck and I'm huge with a 60 inch waist while standing and 63 when seated. Yes you skinny people, us fatties expand when we sit. Hows that for too much information?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm not an exact size match but can relate. 6'3 and 280ish.

I generally go up a pants size and then make sure that your shirt, jacket, etc. is long enough to cover the grip of your weapon in a variety of positions.

2. Is the 3-5 o'clock position the best position to carry (remember, bigger body here)
Anywhere from 230 to 5 o'clock for me. Just depends on if I'm planning on sitting or standing really.

I carry my XD9sc in a Comp-Tac Minotaur Sparton on a daily basis. I've found it to be comfortable, well built, and conceals well.

Im just trying to decide if IWB is the way to go for me. I live in the Houston TX area, so hot is the constant and I will have very little cover for OWB. But before I invest the money I wanted to post to you guys.
I think that IWB is still an option. I carry in shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt (well two) during the summer in Colorado and can maintain comfort.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi I am 6'2 300 pounds and I am new to carrying. I Have only been carrying for a little over a month but i carry everywhere i go including work. I carry my glock 30 in a cheap IWB nylon holster right now till i get something better but i carry at about 3:30 4 o'clock and find it very comfortable and was surprised how comfortable it was. I find carrying this way conceals with just a t shirt as long as it goes a little past my belt. I am also considering the crossbread supertuck everyone seems pleased with them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rosenberg here.......I'm 6'0, 275 and I have carried my G30 in a CST, & MTAC at about 4:00 very comfortably. I am currently using the Black Ops Pro from Pure Kustom and it is an excellent holster. My pants are a little big and my shirts are normal size.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm 6' 2" and 245 lbs. Carry a Glock 30 in SuperTuck anywhere between 4:30 and 5:30. Comfortable and love IWB with slightly loose pants and shirt. I love the Crossbreed because it stays where you put it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Basher, I'm right about your size and I've been carrying IWB in Houston for years, in the 3:30 to 4:00 position. I've never had to go up a pants size, but I do have to let my belt out one notch when carrying IWB. Of course everyone's built different, and I don't wear my pants super tight like some guys do. I wear an untucked button down shirt, the kind with a flat bottom made to wear untucked, and I've never had a problem concealing a full size gun.

A good way to experiment is to put your gun in a holster and then stick it in your waistband and see how it feels while you walk around the house. If it goes in comfortably and doesn't put undue pressure on you, then you don't need to go up a pants size. Good luck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a cheap blackhawk iwb holster i got for 15 bucks at a gun shop. It works great, i dont feel it even on me. Ill try and find a picture for you. I;ve been using it everyday for months with my glock 36. I'm 6'1, 330. So im what you can call husky

·
Registered
229 Posts
5'10 - 270 here. I've been using a Crossbreed Supertuck with my XD9sc around the house (pick up permit next week) and it is super comfortable in the 4 o'clock-ish position (anywhere from 3-4:30). I lean to the side a bit when in my office chair so I'll notice it when I'm leaning... but when sitting up straight or up and about walking around I forget that it is there. Supertuck should be called supercomfortable!

A proper belt is key though! I got the crossbreed belt and it is a night and day difference from my every day belt. It stays put with that belt.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm 5'11" at about 285 so I'm no small guy! and I carry a G22 IWB with no problems every day .I never went up a size in pants to go IWB but some say you should I don't know if you need to it depends on you comfort I guess.

Anyway there my two cents on it .

P.S I do have a custom holster Also...

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Hey basher, I think it depends on a few variables (where you wear your pants, fit of the pants, shoulder to waist ratio, etc.), but I think a good rule of thumb would be to just unload the gun you plan to carry and stuff it in your pants. Experiment with positioning until you find what's comfortable and works for you, and take note if you need to change your pants size. If you are considering a leather holster you may also need to take into account the thickness of the leather used (each ounce = 1/64" x 2 for front and back). Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rosenberg here.......I'm 6'0, 275 and I have carried my G30 in a CST, & MTAC at about 4:00 very comfortably. I am currently using the Black Ops Pro from Pure Kustom and it is an excellent holster. My pants are a little big and my shirts are normal size.
Rosenberg...where the heck is that?? :hand5: Whats up neighbor?:bier:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wear an untucked button down shirt, the kind with a flat bottom made to wear untucked, and I've never had a problem concealing a full size gun.
I am kind of leaning this way myself. I do a lot of work downtown, but these days, the loose shirt is gaining momentum in the business world. And with our heat, im not much for any shirt that could/does require a tie. :gah:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a cheap blackhawk iwb holster i got for 15 bucks at a gun shop. It works great, i dont feel it even on me. Ill try and find a picture for you. I;ve been using it everyday for months with my glock 36. I'm 6'1, 330. So im what you can call husky
I say husky, the wife calls me "fluffy" :danceban:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here we go. Im 5'10" tall, and around 285 or so pounds. With these dimensions comes a little more of me around the edges than I want. I am considering IWB with a either a M&P 40C or a Glock 30. I have a couple of questions:

Thanks

I am 6' 1" and weight 300 lbs. When purchasing clothes I usually go one size bigger on pants and shirts. I take them home and try them on with my VM2 Milt Sparks holster to see how they fit before I remove the tags in case I have to take them back. Living here in Az most of the time I just wear a t-shirt or a light over shirt.
As far as carrying in the 3-5 position, it really depends on where you can reach your weapon comfortably. I have a bad shoulder so I have to carry it closer to the 3 o'clock position. The thing that helps me is that I have very broad shoulders. Which makes it easier to conceal my weapon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts