Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all those that responded to my previous post. Hopefully this is my last question about my new possible holster.

I was curious what everyone prefers on their IWB holster. Do you like to use clips or loops to connect it. Please let me know what you use and also WHY !

It looks to me that using clips might be able to get it to ride a little lower than loops ? ? Am I crazy ?

Thank you and once again I appreciate all the responses. Take care and God Bless !

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
I always wear a belt so belt loops are is guaranteed holster retention when the gun is drawn. I make both :yup:

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I always wear a belt. I have both clips and loop IWB holsters. Each for a different occasion. Only difference I see is that my clip type holsters give more adjustment on the go. In the decision of clip vs loop type holsters, one should also toss single or double into the equation IMO. Double clip or loop holsters seem to be more steady and solid, keeping their position throughout activities. Single clip or loop holsters can have a mind of their own sometimes depending.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I always wear a belt so belt loops are is guaranteed holster retention when the gun is drawn. I make both :yup:
I agree with this. Clips do have their place though so it just depends on your dress.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I prefer clips as long as they are good and secure. I always wear a belt and all my IWB holsters have clips. They give me more options in my opinion, I can take the holster off quickly if I decide to or completely change the position without removing my belt. I also do the same with mag pouches for the same reason, and sometimes when I'm driving long trips or something I will actually leave my .45 in holster in the center console(Class A RV) and drop it in my pants before I get out to get fuel or something of the sort.

Oh and I prefer the look of clips for some reason.

Luke

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
i own a double loop high noon and several single clip don hume holsters...mixed feelings...

the double loop is great as the loops are spaced out in front of and behind the holster (similar to the clips on a ctac) so they dont add any thickness to the gun in the holster...the setup is very stable and i dont have to worry about the position changing...

on the other hand...

the single clip holsters allow me to change the angle of the setup depending on the situation...when sitting in the car or walking i can pivot the setup to a more desireable angle...on and off is a quick procedure...

with both the draw and reholster is very easy and stable...

good luck...and clear out a drawer..no matter how much homework you do there may always be something you wish was different...

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have both and they work equally well. I do believe that the leather loops will draw less curiosity especially if they are the same color as the belt.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I lost my cell phone because a clip rode off my belt, so loops only for me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Clips for me!
I am new to CC (4 months) so holster style, clip or loop, etc,etc are still in progress. At the moment I perfer and 2 position and I favor clip style . I feel this style, position, are in line with my lifestyle.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I lost my cell phone because a clip rode off my belt, so loops only for me.
I just wanted to say it depends allot on the type of clips they are by no means all created equal. I've never had a cell phone case that had a clip strong enough that I would use it on a holster. On the other hand I wouldn't use holster clips on a cell phone because they would be really irritating quickly because they are stiff and harder to remove.

Either way most of the clips used by holster makers are stiff, not all but most.

Luke

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have used both and prefer clips. Mush easier on and off. Also something small I can use with just sweat pants around the house.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Tried a variety of clips, and every one eventually had a "draw the holster" effect.

Loops only for me (although my rear loop is more of a half loop or hook, can't come off without removing my belt).

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
I always wear a belt, and I have both. I prefer loops first, then "J" clips, with regular clips last. Clips are much more likely to scuff your belt.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I use loops, they seem to give me a little better retention.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Loops. Easy to take on and off. It keeps the holster secure on your belt. It also has a nice "click" sound when you snap it shut.

Actually I ran across a description of a new holster that really describes the differences well from a manufacturer that just made a loop-style holster; they used to only make clip holsters:
The Archangel was specifically designed to retain the concealment advantages of Appendix carry as well as the speed of draw offered by its predecessors. We changed the "J" hooks to dual snap belt loops and did away with the tuckable feature.

Many of our students and staff favored the ability to quickly remove the holstered pistol when at home, yet retain the ability to quickly don it when necessary. As well, some of our customers routinely move in and out of areas where a carrying a pistol may not be desirable so the ability to remove the weapon with a minimum of drama and wardrobe issues was important without sacrificing security once the holster was again in place. Moreover, some of the most popular pants and shorts worn today in training environments have belt loops that are not compatible with the previous generations of AIWB holsters. The Archangel has solved those issues with the addition of carefully placed dual snap belt loops.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
I have dozens of IWB's and they are all 'clips'...metal clips. Some of my holsters are over 6 years old and the clips are as good as the day they arrived...easy on/off, too.:yup:

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I much prefer the security and comfort of loops myself. :wink:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts