Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good IWB for a Springfield XD Mod 2 .45. I need something that is comfortable for a fairly active outdoors lifestyle hiking and being outside with the kids and family in the woods. Looked some at the single clip Vedder and the double clip Aliengear. I'm not sure about the double clip ones, they seem fairly large, do they get annoying after a while?

·
Registered
412 Posts
My 2cents, the Alien Gear would not be comfortable while active. I have a couple of them. I think the shell flexibility makes it too big or something. But your mileage may vary and It may very with what your are wearing on doing that day or doing that day. Some days I can't get comfy with a holster I haven't noticed in weeks. I have spent a day in the woods with a single clip kydex (Stay Holstered) and was fine. I have a Black arch "double clip" I have been using for a few months, that I find pretty comfy most days.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check out Stealthgear... I have one for my XDs and XDm and love them both. Very comfy and breathable but on really hot days I do get some condensation on the slide of the firearm. But that's with only wearing an untucked t-shirt and shorts with the holster directly against my skin. If I have a t-shirt tucked between my skin and the holster, no issues.

For the summer here in Houston, I'm currently using a Clinger "no print wonder"... All kydex against my skin so it does a better job of blocking the moisture, but it's not quite as comfy.

Both of these are the dual clip versions and they work fine. I carry IWB at about 3:30 or 4:00.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Consider the 3Speed Holster It fits well in shorts and skimpier outfits

·
Registered
470 Posts
If comfort is what you are looking for, few are better than the N82 Professional. That being said, I still prefer appendix carry. Almost as comfy, faster draw and better concealment.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
For my Mod 2 IWB I have both the Crossbreed and a Raw Dog. The Crossbreed is a double clip and the Raw Dog is a simple clip. Although the Crossbreed is of excellent quality, i find that I am almost always using the Raw Dog. I now have several of their holsters for various guns. Check them out. For price and quality they are hard to beat. Also like the name.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you're active, plan on carrying somewhere between 3:00-4:00 and don't need tuck-ability I would avoid the majority of the Crossbreed/Foxx/Alien Gear style double clip holsters. They are all very stable and fairly comfortable for all day casual wear but have oversized, somewhat rigid backing and deep, oversized clips that dig hard into my hip/stomach when I crouch despite how I adjust them. I've had the alien gear and the foxx but the crossbreed is pretty much the same.

The most comfortable/stable IWB I've used was the Milt Sparks Watch 6 (double snap leather loop). I wore it regularly for 10 years and it never dug into me and I could wear it all day without discomfort. It offered no cant or ride heigh adjustability or tuckability though which the aforementioned ones do. Right now I need tuckability or I'd have a Watch 6 or similar. The double connections to your belt keep it much more stable during activity but take a bit more effort when donning/doffing vs a single clip. IMHO single clip holsters are fantastic for jumping in and out of the car (into prohibited areas), quick trips to the store, etc, but I've never found one that I can wear all day.

All that said, you can get almost as tight to the body with certain OWB holsters and a properly stiff belt. I'd pick my X-Concealment C series and their SCUBA webbing belt every time if I'm going to be physically active. IWB tucks in about 5% better into my body but that extra hint of printing it totally worth it to get the gun outside my waistband and just a hair more out of my love handle. When we go camping, riding motorcycles, etc. I don't even bring my IWB holster(s). I've even gone skating at the skating rink with the kids wearing it a few times. If I took pictures of both my IWB and OWB rigs under the same untucked shirt you wouldn't be able to tell the difference but it's pretty much a world of difference in comfort for me. I know the butt of the grip is just a hair less crammed into me but it's barely perceptible to the watching public. If you're worried about your shirt lifting up towards your belt line, order the C series with kydex in a similar color to the shorts you'd normally wear for hiking (i.e. Tan kydex if you normally wear khakis). If your shirt rides up to expose the holster your average person doesn't think "gasp! That's a khakis colored plastic gun holster!", they're too worried about where the next Poke' Stop is. They probably wouldn't notice the black one either but getting a similar color might put your mind at ease a bit more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To further answer your initial question (as if I haven't already been excessively verbose):

Most double attachment point holsters will require two hands and a minute or so to put on, especially if you're tucking your shirt in. Single attachment point holsters can often be put on with one hand in seconds. The pay off is generally in the long term comfort. In general the ones with two, spaced apart attachment points and a large surface area to distribute the pressure of the weapon on your body and are going to keep it much more rigidly in a particular position and be more comfortable (all other things held equal). But if they're too big then they start to bind when you bend over, sit down, etc.

Many of the two point holsters that I've already mentioned trade off adjustability for bulkiness. The alien gear IWB holster I had was the most tedious holster to put on I've ever experienced. Clips flopping around (even when tightened) pants and belt sliding between the kydex shell and backer pad, the middle of the backer of being stiff and reinforced while the sides were pretty floppy, etc. Once it was on it was fairly comfortable but it was way too much trouble to put on.

I'd still consider a tight OWB and stiff webbed belt the superior option for physical activity though.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I have a holster from 2Aholster.com that Im really happy with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My primary rig is a Milt Sparks VM2 with a Kimber Pro Carry II. I've worn it near daily, for going on 3 years now.

It is a large holster, but I honestly rarely even notice I'm carrying. It has become very easily my favorite IWB holster. Enough so, that I ordered 2 additional holsters for a couple of other guns that I sometimes carry. It takes commitment to order from them too. I think my last one was nearly a 4 month wait. As of right now, their site is stating a 12-18 week backlog.

It does not shift around easily. Drawing and reholstering is easy and clean...and no 'kydex clicking' in the process. I have to go out of my way to get my gun to print and the comfort is fantastic! I can't go around doing handstands and expect the gun to stay put, but running isn't an issue at all. I can even break the rule of belt holsters and wear a subpar belt. Draw is still smooth as the holster stays right where it is supposed to stay due to all the surface friction against the body and pants. I was skeptical of their quality before acquiring one, but I am happy to admit I was wrong.

The only negative I really have to say about it, is also one of the reasons I went with it. My day job, is that of an executive. That means tucked dress shirts. The VM2 comes with some optional clips that are supposed to facilitate wearing the holster with the shirt tucked. I've tried to make them work, but have not been successful. Maybe I haven't watched the right YouTube video yet, or something. Regardless, that was a letdown for me. I've managed a work-around vie attire changes, but I really did have high hopes on those clips. In the end, it doesn't matter that much. At least half of the people I work with during the day, have taken one or more of my classes on the weekends. So it's not like I'm really fooling anybody at the office anyway. :smile:

They are pricey and take forever to arrive, but they are very easily my favorite IWB holsters in terms of quality of construction, easy of use, and comfort. Doesn't hurt that after 3 years of use, it still looks good...not that anybody ever gets to see it.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
If you're outside, hiking/climbing/cavorting in the (terrific) woods of Michigan, with the family, why are you concerned about concealing IWB? I'm not a constitutional eye-poker about open carry, yet woods-roaming is (IMHO) the ideal time to enjoy the comfort, security & versatility of a good OWB with manual retention. If you're worried about folks spotting you just GETTING there? Tie a long-sleeve shirt or light jacket around your waist. Me? I wouldn't compromise active outdoor comfort for concealment ...if it isn't absolutely necessary. :blink:

Reactions: Shrek74

·
Registered
480 Posts
Just my 2 cents but Stealthgear, N82, and Aliengear would all work. I have the Aliengear and dont have any issues. I have had the N82 and are very comfortable. Stealthgear is going to be my next purchase

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I have a few decent IWB holsters, but on a tip from a buddy who is in the Customs and Border Patrol, I bought a cheapo Uncle Mike's IWB with no clasp.

It immediately became my go-to for AIWB. I was initially concerned because the clip seemed so cheap, but I've been wearing it everyday for about 6 months now with no issues at all. It's very comfortable, perfect size, holds the gun, and stays in place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts