Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm pretty new to carrying concealed and picked up a shield and a uncle mikes (just till I figure out what I want) for my EDC.

Anyways, I'm looking for some holster advice. The average day for me consists of waking up, driving to work, then driving home, then taking a shower and changing. I'm saying to give you an idea of how much I will be removing/installing the holster... ease of putting on and off is very important to me. I work a trade that involves lying on the ground a lot so I think just leaving the holster on all day would be uncomftorable and/or wear it out or deform it prematurely. I will be carrying around the house so basically I will be putting it on when I wake up, taking it off before I go into work, putting it on when I get off work, then taking it off and putting it on again to shower/change clothes.

Since the shield is pretty thin I am able to put on and take it off without adjusting my belt with the uncle mikes. I figure a holster with a wide, single clip would be best as there would not be two clips to to get over the belt but this is just specultion on my part as I've never used anything but an uncle mikes. I plan on carrying at 4-5 oclock IWB.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I had a single clip IWB holster come loose while sitting in car. My clip holsters are now all 2clip for small pistols PPK/s and J frame size .

I have gone to IWB with snap belt loops . This works better for me over all with my different 1911's You will soon get tired of all that on and off stuff .

My holsters are from UBGholsters.com

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
I've been using one from Black Rhino for about 2 years for my Shield. AIWB.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I too work in a trade that has me rolling around a good bit, and I carry a Sig P229 IWB under a tucked shirt 5 days a week. I carry in a White Hat Maxtuck horsehide backed holster with a Wilderness Tactical 5 stitch belt. I carry in the same position as you roughly. I hardly notice a gun that size, so I imagine a Shield would simply disappear on me. Remember every time you take it off and put it on, you increase the chances of something going wrong, no matter how unlikely it may seem. Once you get a quality holster and belt, you'll likely find you don't need to take it off so much.

Reactions: Eric357

·
Banned
62 Posts
Look at the Galco Double Time holster. It can be worn IWB or OWB. When worn IWB the loops can be unsnapped.
It's comfortable enough that I drove from Texas to Indiana and back carrying my 1911 with no problem.

·
Registered
887 Posts
My EDC is a Shield 40,, have tryed a few holsters. I Am using a DeSantis Soft Tuck. Very comfortable, holds the gun secure. For about $20 it is worth a try.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I absolutely dislike clips of any sort. I've had them break, not hold the holster securely, scratch walls I've rubbed against accidentally, and a couple of other problems. All my holsters, both IWB and OWB, have the leather loops now with the one way dot snaps. They are just as easy to put on/take off as a clip is. As was posted, after a time you'll find more reasons to keep your holster on and less reasons to take it off. A quality leather IWB holster will quite likely not get abused; after all it's inside your pants.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I vote leather snap loops. They are quick on and off and very reliable with the "Pull the Dot" system.
^ This! Along with a well designed holster... A well-designed holster will help your pistol "disappear" which is different than a well-made holster. A Milt Sparks VM2 is one place to start as there are other well-designed holsters out there.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
So I'm pretty new to carrying concealed and picked up a shield and a uncle mikes (just till I figure out what I want) for my EDC.

Anyways, I'm looking for some holster advice. The average day for me consists of waking up, driving to work, then driving home, then taking a shower and changing. I'm saying to give you an idea of how much I will be removing/installing the holster... ease of putting on and off is very important to me. I work a trade that involves lying on the ground a lot so I think just leaving the holster on all day would be uncomftorable and/or wear it out or deform it prematurely. I will be carrying around the house so basically I will be putting it on when I wake up, taking it off before I go into work, putting it on when I get off work, then taking it off and putting it on again to shower/change clothes.

Since the shield is pretty thin I am able to put on and take it off without adjusting my belt with the uncle mikes. I figure a holster with a wide, single clip would be best as there would not be two clips to to get over the belt but this is just specultion on my part as I've never used anything but an uncle mikes. I plan on carrying at 4-5 oclock IWB.
Clinger Stingray . clinger &claw 008.JPG clinger &claw 007.JPG

Very easy on and off ,very good holster for a great price.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have two High Noon holsters with clips. These clips will not break and will not come off. The black holster is the Bare Asset and it was about $25. The tan one is the Bare Necessity and was $60. I have had the black one for almost 10 years and have had no problems and still like the holster. I like it enough that I bought the tan one this year. I like how easy they are to put on and take off with the clip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts