Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently use a Ron Graham Saigon Clip and really like the easy on easy off of the clip. And it does stay stable on the belt. I think I want something that has belt loops now. Can someone give me their experience with a Milt Sparks Summer Special. I will be carrying a 4 inch 1911. :yup:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Summer Special carries higher than other IWB Milt Sparks holsters, and it doesn't have any leather that extends up to cover the thumb safety (and keep the metal of the 1911 from rubbing on you). Seems like it would be ok for a 4" -- I have a SS for my 5" Government and like it fine, but went to some of the other Milt Sparks models for 3 1/2" and 3" guns. Since the Summer Special is rough side out, you may find that when it's hot and you get sweaty, the rough leather will make you itch -- might just be a strange problem I have....
Other Milt Sparks holsters also stay in one place better, like the Versa-Max 2 since the belt loops are spaced farther apart. Of course, each holster has specific good and bad points, but the Summer Special is kind of an icon of IWB holsters and I'd buy another in an instant if I needed one.
Hope this helps. Oh -- and a great belt is half or better of the holster. Get a great belt.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I like the Sam Andrews McDaniel II for leather http://www.andrewsleather.com or the Blade-Tec IWB. Both with the guard to shield your tender "Love Handles" or in my case the "Lifting Bars!" LOL

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
I've carried my Colt LW Commander in a Sparks Summer Special daily for over two years. Never had a problem. Extended thumb safety has never been "wiped off". Pistol has never chafed against my side.

After 2 years, the rough-out leather exterior has pretty much worn smooth. FWIW, I'm completely satisfied with the SS.

·
Registered
269 Posts
heard good things about Milt sparks but getting one for a lefty is a joke
I wouldn't think it would take any longer to have a left handed model made.
Mine took a few months, but it sure is nice!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Well in all honesty the MS one you want is good. Alot of the better makers make that style of holster so......look around. Gary B., Bulman, Del Fatti and others are all world class makers and alot of the pricing is right inline with what you want also.
Be patient............Shoot well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts