Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So where is an IWB holster suppose to be worn, side, towards the front, 1:00, 3:00, 4:00. I am having a tough time finding one that feels right to me!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
IWB/OWB I prefer just behinf the point of the hip, guess you would call it 3:30 (Maybe 3:15)

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
HV - I loathe IWB but that's just me :wink:

Many folks find 4 o'clock suits IWB but for me with OWB 3.30 does well - and in truck I pull it fwd to 3 o'clock for easier access.

IMO there is no hard and fast ''rule'' - it has to be down to the individual re body shape, concealment clothing and activities. Keep experimenting - best way to go i think.

·
Registered
521 Posts
HI VOLTAGE,
What kinda gun are ya packin'?
i know my short 1911 was extremely uncomfortable as it poked me in the hip/top o' butt at 3:00, 4:00 it didn't matter. i ended up adding a bit of a leather "tail" to spread out the pointy part now its wonderful to wear around.
my taurus 38 snubby in IWB form is ok as it fits in its holster.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I wear both my IWB holsters (C-TAC for my 1911 and Fist #1K for my P-01) at 3:00 or 3:30. What kind of holster are you using?

·
Super Moderator
25,574 Posts
Most wear them at about 3:30 or 4:00. Think that works for both IWB and OWB.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Warthog, 3 inch 45. I have a Don Hume H715 right now. I will try wearing it further back. I been wearing at 2:00 like Euclidean suggested. Maybe I need a better holster!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I carry my Kimber Ultra in either a LCS II or a Fist #2 Easy-On at what I would say is 5 o'clock or just behind my right kidney not SOB. If I am wearing the Fist OWB, 3:30 is good for that but I am rarely OWB, range mostly.

Ti.

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
9 o'clock for me too. IWB or OWB.

·
Registered
770 Posts
3.30-4.00 is perfect for me...the grip tucks up in just above my hipbone.......Shoot well

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Hi all!

This is one of those areas in which everyone is a bit different, and it takes a bit of experimentation to see what works for you.
A basic rule of thumb is that it should be "strong side", with a muzzle rear cant. This will allow a nice smooth draw that is perfectly in line w/ your intended target. It is also very safe because you never end up pointing the firearm at yourself during the draw sequence.
Because each person's anatomy is different, the actual location (and subsequently the rake angle) is not something that someone can tell you. I would suggest that you wear your firearm around the house shoved in your waistband (w/an empty chamber) in different locations from 3:30 to 5:30 and see what feels right to you. Once you've done that and pretty much determined your preferred location, you'll know what to tell your holstermaker as you search for a holster design that you like.
My Max-Con V and VI are raked at approx 25 degrees because they are intended to be worn at about 4:30 to 5:30 and the increased rake angle makes drawing from that location a breeze. Conversly, the Max-Con III is raked at about 17 degrees as it is intended to be worn from 3:30 to 4:30.
Please feel free to contact me w/ any questions that you may have. (You don't have to order something in order to get a free consultation over the phone :) This is a tough thing to decide until you have some experience. Perhaps I can help you get started in the right direction without your having to spend a fortune on holsters during a "trial and error" process. Good luck!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info Gary, I checked out your holsters. I need to give you a call.....is butt forward talking about the tilt of the gun or the direction it is holstered.?

·
Registered
770 Posts
FBI or Forward Butt Incline cant simply means the butt of the gun is angled or canted past a vertical plane. Its a general statement meaning anything past vertical.

I agree with Gary's post...cant and carry location are the most "personal' things regarding proper holster design. He's a master and you should listen to him............I Do! :D

Shoot well.

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Hivoltage said:
Thanks for the info Gary, I checked out your holsters. I need to give you a call.....is butt forward talking about the tilt of the gun or the direction it is holstered.?
A butt forward rake is a condition in which the firearm is carried at an angle on the belt with the muzzle pointing somewhat to the rear. This tilts the butt up and slightly forward. It is also called the FBI cant. Please give me a call. I'll be more than happy to help you figure all this stuff out. As with most things, it's pretty simple once someone "shows you the ropes".

·
Super Moderator
22,198 Posts
I had forgotten our south-paw friends and deleted the post. :wink:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Haha OD - deleted but not gone LOL!
Wouldn't 9 o'clock be on the left side? :wink:
Lefties need our support ya know!! :hand25:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts