Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been carrying for a long time, but had always carried OWB because I never found a comfortable IWB holster until I got the Supertuck about a month ago...I had tried some others, but rejected them within a few days. It was always pretty easy to conceal with an OWB because I carried a .38 snubbie most of my working life and for a time after I retired. Within the past year I started carrying first my P95 HD pistol and, later, a Glock 19 after I defected to the dark side.

What I am finding now is that the Supertuck holding the Glock cinched to my hip under the belt is apparently pulling my spine toward the strong side and causing severe nerve pain. (this is the therory of my orthopaedic doc as far as "cause and effect" is concerned)

I should possibly explain that I have long standing back pain issues dating back to 1969 when army docs chose to not attempt to remove bullet fragments that were (and are) in very close proximity to my spinal cord and sciatic nerve. Removing them now is not a great option because heart issues in the intervening years have made me a far less than ideal candidate for surgery unless it is required for an acutely life-threatening condition.

Has anyone else dealt with a similar issue and found an answer? At this poing, it seems my only option is to return to OWB carry, which is far less concealable on my thin frame or go back to the 5 shot snubbie in a cross-draw location.

PS-It appears I may have a lightly used Supertuck for sale...:mad:

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I will say that even a half inch difference in forward to back distance on my IWB holster makes a difference in comfort at times. You may want to experiment on moving it farther back toward your spine (not small of back carry, just toward there) and try it for a few days. Also, the ride height above the belt can cause problems for some. This is a trial and error thing.

Make sure you are using a true gun belt also, it will distribute the weight more evenly instead of creating pressure points that wear you out.

Good luck and don't give up.

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
i've tried dozens of IWB holsters over the years, and i think i finally found the right one. it's an El Paso Summer Special for a 1911. it's the only one i've been able to use all day without wanting to throw it out of the window.

the whole concealment discomfort is one of the reasons i started open carrying.:yup:

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
I had a kidney transplant 6 months ago. When I recovered enough to resume most normal activities I couldn't carry IWB without pain. Transplanted kidneys are placed in the area of the appendix and a gun inside my waistband was riding close enough to the incision to be uncomfortable. I began carrying OWB exclusively and now, 6 months later I still do. It's somewhat less concealable but was and still is my best option. One thing I did do was pick up a J frame Smith for pocket carry.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have a bad disk (L4-L5) and anything but OWB causes me pain.......though I still search for a IWB that may work I find them too painful.....you may just have to stick with OWB and dress "around" the holster.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
If you can no longer carry IWB due to health issues, try buying shirts a size larger to help cover your OWB.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I can understand that, the SuperTuck was uncomfortable for me, so I sold it, I prefer a smaller holster, don't want to have to buy new close to wear a gun. I am currently using Galco , and like it alot. The only thing I can come up with is that the ST takes up alot more of the circumference of your waist, causing it to be not as comfortable for me...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm carrying a smaller load (Kahr PM9 + xtra mag) but Ive found the unconventional basic carry system from the site below quite comfortable for a lot of use including recumbent biking, sweatsuit, and casual wear. I do have a miniTuck but its just become too much trouble for me to put on.

SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
I had carried IWB for years...switch to IWB/SOB, and that is still very comfortable, but since this summer I found the Fist #12 Basic (OWB at 3:30) to be extremely comfortable.

I carry my Glock-36 in the #12 Basic...looks and rides like the Glock pictured.:bier:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input folks...

I guess that IWB just is not for me...the same back issue makes carry further back than about 3:30 not an option if I want to sit down at any point in the day.

After a little searching online, it appears that the concealability issue with 3:30 OWB may possibly be at least mostly addressed by a combo of a high riding holster (any suggestions?) and a "tall cut" collection of cover garments (I am only 6'0 but have a very short 30" inseam so I already wear a size larger than actually called for by my frame just to get a shirt to reach my waist). Fortunately, in my area an old guy with a pistol peaking out below his shirt is not that unusual or likely to cause alarm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can carry strong side OWB almost all day and IWB for maybe 2 to 3 hrs tops! I should add that my usual carry weapon is a 4.25 inch 1911. I'd rather carry in a shoulder rig, when appropirate....which I prefer. I am currently considering a SOB holster for comfort reasons.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I have back issues too and just had surgery 12/22...I have a hard time carrying IWB at all... I've gone to carrying my G19 or 26 OWB in a K&D Laredo Defender or a Don Hume 721-OT... Some days I can't even stand to OWB carry and have had to revert to a fanny pack...

You may want to check out the long tail T-shirts from Duluth Trading. They are 3" longer than regular T-shirts. Many folks here have spoken highly of them. They should help you keep your holster covered...

Long Tail T-Shirts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have back issues too and just had surgery 12/22...I have a hard time carrying IWB at all... I've gone to carrying my G19 or 26 OWB in a K&D Laredo Defender or a Don Hume 721-OT... Some days I can't even stand to OWB carry and have had to revert to a fanny pack...

You may want to check out the long tail T-shirts from Duluth Trading. They are 3" longer than regular T-shirts. Many folks here have spoken highly of them. They should help you keep your holster covered...

Long Tail T-Shirts
Thanks for the info on the shirts.

What do you think of the 721-OT? I have been offered a straight up trade of one for the S/T, but it is hard to talk myself into trading for a holster I have never tried and that is currently available new for about half the cost of the S/T.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks for the info on the shirts.

What do you think of the 721-OT? I have been offered a straight up trade of one for the S/T, but it is hard to talk myself into trading for a holster I have never tried and that is currently available new for about half the cost of the S/T.
No way would I take that trade! I highly recommend one of the askins avenger style holsters made by milt sparks, kirkpatrick leather, hbe holsters, and kramer. They are quite comfy. They give up a small measure of concealability vs. a pancake but are definitely all day comfortable. Don Hume is OK, but the quality of a Crossbreed holster traded for an average (at best) holster is poor trade, IMHO

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just received my Crossbreed Belt, and I immediately noticed the difference in comfort level when I began using it versus a regular belt. I'm not sure if you use a gun belt, but if not, then give it a try. Then if that does not help, then like someone else said, adjust it by moving its positioning toward the spine. I carry right at about 4-4:30 poition comfortably(More so, using my CB Gun Belt).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for the input folks...

I guess that IWB just is not for me...the same back issue makes carry further back than about 3:30 not an option if I want to sit down at any point in the day.
Well, I do a good amount of sitting in my job. I carry at 4-4:30 position and am never uncomfortable using my SuperTuck since I began using a true Gun Belt. But even before that I didnt experience much discomfort while sitting. We are all different tho.

BTW, I have back issues as well. So I know what you mean about the pain/discomfort you wanna avoid.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
IMO, the answer to your problem is to not only carry OWB, but to carry a lighter gun, and not necesssarily a 5 shot snub nose, such as the Keltecs, PF-9 or P-11.

They are reliable, accurate at the distances you would likely need to use them, and carry and conceal OWB with ease.

Moreover, they use 9mm and have 7+1 or 10 or 12+1.

It is true that they are not guns you shoot a lot of rounds through at the range, but many of use, at some point, need to make compromises of one kind or another in order to continue to carry.

I have done that and could not be happier. I now carry what I consider to be an effective caliber and do so OWB in Florida under just a loose fitting T shirt in complete comfort.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I have a simple question for you and other to consider:

Did you ever have to pull the stubby 5 shot in self defense?

Point is you might just move to pocket carry and use you old friend stubby or a smaller 9mm or 380 and maybe not have the problem with your back.

From one veteran to another thank you for serving!!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts