Defensive Carry banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
I use those in my 642. They are a long ways from target wadcutters.:smile:
"Holmes375: These are said to do the job:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=111"

Right now I'm using Underwood's full wadcutters in my 3" Bulldog .44 Special, but if I decide to get another .38 snubbie, something like the above mentioned Buffalobore wadcutters are what I'd use. The standard target velocity wadcutters don't penetrate deep enough to be faithfully relied on if we believe what others have said about the difference between target soft lead hollowbase wadcutters vs faster cast bevel base wadcutters.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Interesting video. The performance loss going from 4” to 2” wasn’t much with either load, yet I keep hearing that you lose so much velocity from a snub. Search the topic and you will find a lot of dissimilar information.

I have just been working some snub loads. For my 686 I have settled on 140XTP that could be pushing 1100fps? Don’t have a chrony and all the books are different, so I go by how easy are the follow up shots.

For 38spl, it depends. I like the RimRock swchp 158s or 158 XTP. I will get another airweight in the coming months and work some loads for it, but may end up with the same 140XTP pushed by a +P ish charge.

·
Super Moderator
18,241 Posts
Proper .38 Special hollow base wadcutter loads are powder puff target loads. Chronographed velocities are 680-720 fps from 6-inch barreled .38 Special revolvers. From 2-inch snubs, velocities check out to be 600-650 fps. These are weenie. One could "almost, but not _ quite _ nearly," stop 'em in his catcher's mitt (don't try this at home kiddies). They are not the same as a solid base wadcutters loaded up to velocities of 1000 fps or more, capable even from a snub barrel and something any good steel-framed .38 Special would be capable of handling.

The .38 Special as a target load is supremely accurate for punching holes in paper. The .38 Special as rendered in true +P form, with good heavy bullets as in the old .38-44 loadings, is a horse of a different color. The differences in the loadings need to be recognized.

Personal experience observes that reversed hollow based wadcutters over heavy powder charges do not measure up to the myth that is their reputation. They may expand some, they may not expand, or the bases may mash shut. Sounds good in theory and looks so mean and wicked, but ... not so reliable.

The .357 Magnum, properly loaded rather than as some of these modern " -P .357-light" loads sold, is on a completely different plane.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts