Defensive Carry banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
My favorite J-frame grips are the old Herrett Shooting Star conversion grips (round butt to square).
My second choice is Altamont Super Rosewood Combat grips.
Third is Hogue laser grip with switch cover modified to make it easier to turn the laser on.
I have small hands, so prefer exposed backstraps.

I was a better shot when my eyes were younger (never was a very good shot), and with a 1-7/8 J-frame it is (was) easy to pretty consistently hit coke cans out to about 75 feet. Personally, I think that makes it more than a 25 foot gun. I've currently got three airweight 637-2 J-frames converted to .357 Mag titanium cylinders and reamed for 9mm. I lighten the hammer, rebound, and firing pin springs.

·
Registered
202 Posts
A question, How new is your 360? if it is pretty new with a low round count...something you can do is get some snapcaps and dry fire it a lot...the internal parts will wear in and smooth out some...this is a cheap way to decide if you really want to have a smith work it over or go with a trigger kit like the ones from Apex...etc..I have 2 J-frames an 1980's production 640 no dash .38 spl only and a 642 pro cut for moon clips and no Hillary hole.. the 640 is a lot smoother than the 642 just due to wear in and round count through it...just MHO...it's worth a try for the low dollar investment it will cost you.

·
Super Moderator
21,909 Posts
A question, How new is your 360? if it is pretty new with a low round count...something you can do is get some snapcaps and dry fire it a lot...the internal parts will wear in and smooth out some...this is a cheap way to decide if you really want to have a smith work it over or go with a trigger kit like the ones from Apex...etc..I have 2 J-frames an 1980's production 640 no dash .38 spl only and a 642 pro cut for moon clips and no Hillary hole.. the 640 is a lot smoother than the 642 just due to wear in and round count through it...just MHO...it's worth a try for the low dollar investment it will cost you.
Excellent advice. :hand10:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Get some snap caps and dry fire for at least ten minutes every day.

Concentrate on your grip, trigger pull, and your front sight. You will find the grip that works for you and your 442 when your trigger pull doesn't upset the front sight.

You will also find the trigger on your 442 getting smoother in the process. And you will also save a lot of money on ammo.
Dry Fire is a great way to practice and helps break in your gun as well. My 340PD had an excellent trigger for a J-Frame, right out of the box. I didn’t need to do a thing to it. I do dry fire it frequently using snap caps and practice reloads using speed strips between visits to the range. I shoot this gun first when going to the range, as it is the hardest gun to shoot well and has the heaviest trigger. After shooting the 340PD, especially with hotter loads, everything else is easy!

* Note: I’ve only shot .357 magnum rounds out of this gun a few times. It is brutal, to say the least. Brutal. I carry .38 Special +P Hornady Critical Defense, as it is designed for short barrels. I can control the gun much easier with the .38 +P and get back on target; with .357 mag rounds, it is difficult to bring the front sight back in place, and the numbness in your hand, arm and shoulder from the feeling of a stick of dynamite going off in your hand takes a bit to subside. This gun definitely is not for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks guys. The Pachmayr Compaq grip that I added is awesome. It adds a little length to the back strap and pulling the trigger is much easier. I have a Wilson spring kit to add. Can’t wait for a range trip. I also have a 3” SP101. I tried Hogue grips but they were too long. I might add wood Pachmayrs. The 442 is urban CCW for me whereas the SP101 is rural/woods.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Went to the range today and found it hard to shoot my 442 well. I’ve shot it before and noticed the issue, but today I put 50+ rounds through it and really tried to work it out. If I seat the gun in the webbing of my hand I can only get the trigger to break if I use the tip of my finger. With a 12#+ pull it isn’t easy. I had to hold the gun a little forward in my grip and shot poorly. First, I need either a Wilson or Apex trigger spring kit. Then I need grips that cover the back-strap, thus giving me more length of pull. I’m thinking Altamont Bateleur.

I love these little guns. I do not pocket carry it. I appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thank you

What you really need is a Ruger LCR. I had a J frame and an LCR; still have the Ruger got rid of the Smith because I couldn’t stand shooting it. The trigger on the LCR is different enough to make a huge difference.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts