Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I grip my 442 firmly against the web of my hand, trigger pull becomes ackward. Anybody else have this problem? Did you change to a grip that covers the blackstrap?

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Mine are both ways. Stock grip for the pocket Hogue Grip for waist Band Carry and a lot of shooting.
Both of the grips on Haywood's guns fill the area behind the triggerguard. this moves your grip down , but makes your trigger pull straight back. If you like your stock grips you can add a Tyler T Grip to do the same job.
I have large meaty palms and short fat fingers. My favorite grips are the Pachmyr Compact Pro's. They leave the back strap open for a shorter trigger reach but they also make grips for long fingers. DR

Pachmayr&reg Pachmayr your primary source for quality handgun grips and recoil pads

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If I grip my 442 firmly against the web of my hand, trigger pull becomes ackward. Anybody else have this problem? Did you change to a grip that covers the blackstrap?
With every snubby I've bought I've bought a bunch of different grips, until I found one that was "just right". Sounds like you need to do the same. The nifty thing about revolvers (vs. automatics) is that you can do a lot more about that.

("Just right" for me turns out to be the Uncle Mike's "Combat" grip. 3 finger length, not too fat, covers back strap, hard rubber, but not as hard as Pachmayr uses now. Alas, no longer made, but can be found if you haunt ebay.)

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
The 442/642 grip is a very personal (fit) decision. If it's because of a large hand and/or long fingers, then a grip that covers the blackstrap is a good idea (...for starters). :image035:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
What is your experience with DA revolvers prior to the 442, pinetree? The reason I ask is that DA revolvers can be awkward for a novice and the little snubbies even more so.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Echoing what others have said: I have long fingers and grips that leave the backstrap uncovered result in very short trigger reach, with a lot of finger inside the trigger guard, and a less than optimal trigger pull. As pictured below, the 342 on the right has boot style grips. The 642 on the left has a vintage set of Herrett Ace grips (which cover the backstrap) and a with a Tyler T-grip.

The 642 with the larger grips is more controllable than the 342. But, with the larger, longer grips it will no longer fit in a jeans pocket.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Echoing what others have said: I have long fingers and grips that leave the backstrap uncovered result in very short trigger reach, with a lot of finger inside the trigger guard, and a less than optimal trigger pull. As pictured below, the 342 on the right has boot style grips. The 642 on the left has a vintage set of Herrett Ace grips (which cover the backstrap) and a with a Tyler T-grip.

The 642 with the larger grips is more controllable than the 342. But, with the larger, longer grips it will no longer fit in a jeans pocket.

Optimal trigger pull will only be found in no take up no creep single action triggers on rifles and 1911's or other hammer fired single action guns and Ithaca shotguns.

The proper way to finger a DA revolver is like you're gett'n some.

:scruntiny:

:embarassed:

:hand10:

·
Registered
565 Posts
I always turn the revolver to the right in my hand and grab the trigger past the first joint on my finger because that's what Ed McGivern's book tells you to do when shooting DA.
I have small hands. So did McGivern.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Not another gun safety video!!

Reactions: Doghandler

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I have the stock grips on my Js and I have tried a bunch of different grips, I like my hand deep in the grip, plus is the smallest print since if I carry the Js, is as a BUG only.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Awkward that the trigger reach is too short? If so a different grip can help. It's hard to tell by looking at the grip how much it will increase trigger reach. I have the Compac and Gripper (not Gripper Pro) both from Pachmayr. Although the Compac is smaller in grip length than the Gripper, the Compac increases trigger reach more than the Gripper.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the comment. I should have been more clear. The LOP is too short. To use the first joint, I have to hook me finger. I've shot a 629, Model19 and SP101 3" for over 10 years. Love the Sp and it gets carried in the outdoors. The 442 is so much easier to carry in suburbia and the office. I'll hit the range and try different styles. I'll have to check out Compaq.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Pachmayr diamond pro grips are perfection for the 442. Significant recoil reduction, much better accuracy due to increased "length of pull" and full grip, and extremely light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I have the Diamond Pro on my SP101 and it is the best I have tried so far and I have tried 6 with the stock grip a close second to the Diamond Pro. I shoot 180 grain Buffalo Bore out of it and it handles recoil very well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts