Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Excellent choice IMO...I just dont like the sights. I opted for the 340 with Big Dot front.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I have its cousin, the 637. It's a quality gun that I'll be able to pass down to my son someday, and it's easy to carry. It took some practice before I could shoot it well, but it also cleared up a bunch of bad habits by forcing me back to the drawing board. Loaded with Gold Dot +P 135gr, it's a mean little gun.

Go for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 642 and 442 are very popular guns if you do some searches. I have the 442 and it's a great little gun. I almost went with the Ruger LCR but I decided to go with the 442 because it's a proven gun. It should serve you well for up close personal defense.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent choice IMO...I just dont like the sights. I opted for the 340 with Big Dot front.
340 is like twice the price. Was it when you purchased? I would like to get something that I can put a big dot on! Have them on all my handguns, which is only a couple...but still, big dots rock!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 642 and 442 are very popular guns if you do some searches. I have the 442 and it's a great little gun. I almost went with the Ruger LCR but I decided to go with the 442 because it's a proven gun. It should serve you well for up close personal defense.
Yea, I keep thinking about the Ruger LCR. It's lighter and I know XS Sights is suppose to be coming out with a big dot for it soon. But I'm back to leaning towards S&W for the same reason...proven gun.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I chose the 642 over the 442 for one reason. Humidity is high on the Texas gulf coast, just like Florida. I felt the stainless finish would hold up better for pocket carry.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
642 is a good choice but I prefer the 638 I like the shrouded hammer I can still go to SA if needed.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The 442/642 are both excellent guns,reliable,easy to conceal and they hit very hard with good JHP ammo. I've got the 340 M&P but my gun has the DLC finish that has held up very well here in south FL during its first summer in my pocket here. I can't say how the 442's finish would hold up a humid climate not having the DLC coating of the 340 M&P.

I will say that I use to and still occasionally carry mt old colt cobra and its blued finish has held up well. I did wipe it down twice a week with breakfree CLP or militec-1,never had any rust issues after that. which ever gun you choose you'll be getting a good reliable weapon,there is a place that can custom install a night sight on a J-frame but I can't think of then right now. I know Gemini customs works on S%W J-frame also maybe they can upgrade your gun's front sight?

·
Registered
15 Posts

I have the the 642 which is the SS version. I use this gun when my G26 will not fit with what I am wearing or if I just want to carry something lighter.

I think the J-frames take more practice to shoot as well as the G26 but sure is a nice addition to the CCW wardrobe.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
In FL, I'd get the 642...better finish for FL climate. I already have the 637 and like having the hammer, which is another story.:wave:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have the 642, older version, no lock. 15 oz is a breeze to carry, but kicks like a mule!!! Are you looking for this as your primary carry gun or just as an addition to your arsenal?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I want to get a J-Frame, leaning towards the S&W 442. Open to any opinions/suggestions.
If you have some extra cash, take a look at the 340PD. 12 ounces and will shoot a .357 magnum. I love my Kimber but I grab the 340PD almost every day. Scandium frame and Titanium barrell make it light and strong with great corrosion resistance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you have some extra cash, take a look at the 340PD. 12 ounces and will shoot a .357 magnum. I love my Kimber but I grab the 340PD almost every day. Scandium frame and Titanium barrell make it light and strong with great corrosion resistance.
I have been looking at the 340pd as well. It's like double the price of the 442. I can afford, just wasn't sure it's was really worth double the cost, as I will probably only shoot 38.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a 442 and love it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I used to CC a 340PD. Got rid of it because of the heavy DAO pull, even after messing with spring kits. I'm looking into the 438/638 and their SA/DA Vs DAO advantages.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts