Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know one of the benefits of a small revolver is the ability to have it in hand in a jacket pocket and shoot through the pocket if needed. My question is, for those of you who carry this way, do you use a pocket holster, and, if so, can you recommend one?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I don't see how you could have a proper holster and access the trigger without removing the gun from the holster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see how you could have a proper holster and access the trigger without removing the gun from the holster.

Right, that's exactly my question, thanks.

I've always had it ingrained, "never pocket carry without a holster," but I don't see a way around it for this carry mode.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I'm carrying a j frame in my pocket now and always use a holster. The holster completely covers the trigger guard and keeps the butt of the gun pointed up. All I can think of is if you want to shoot through a coat you would need to carry without any format of holster at all.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
In my particular case years ago....I just place my 36 in my coat pocket, no holster and was glad I did....hand in pocket, gun in hand, BG at 6'0. Lucky for me and him, he saw it in my eyes....."I got you, you SOB" and left that fast.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
No, for jacket pocket carrying a J-Frame, holsters defeat the purpose. The triggers are also heavy enough that you don't need nor want a trigger covering device either..in my opinion. In the extreme intensity of a "gotta shoot right the hell now" situation, you may fumble inside that pocket. You don't need to worry about a trigger cover too at that moment.

·
Registered
20,049 Posts
There are three reasons for the common wisdom of the necessity of pocket holster use; protect the trigger, protect from
pocket debris, and keep the gun oriented.

Trigger protection on a DA revolver is largely a non issue. Also, revolvers with enclosed hammers and revolvers in general are not as prone to debris induced malfunction; especially internal hammer designs.

So, other than orientation, a pocket holster is not needed for coat pocket carry.

Reactions: Mike1956 and SWIll

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I used to carry my 642 in the interior pocket of a carhart jacket without a holster. It was a small enough pocket that the gun didn't flop around, and I took care not to put anything else in that pocket. In fact this thread got me curious if I still had that jacket and I do. Here's a pic of how the gun orients it's self in the pocket. Fits almost like it's made for it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I used to carry my 642 in the interior pocket of a carhart jacket without a holster. It was a small enough pocket that the gun didn't flop around, and I took care not to put anything else in that pocket. In fact this thread got me curious if I still had that jacket and I do. Here's a pic of how the gun orients it's self in the pocket. Fits almost like it's made for it.
One time I thought I was slick. I had my Model 36 in a sweat shirt pocket and I thought no one could tell I was armed. My wife saw me and said I needed to get rid of that old shirt. She said it sags on one side and looks terrible.:redface:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Up until recent times, many revolver holsters did not cover the trigger. I still have a couple of those.

Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
214 Posts
FWIW, Ruger/S&W polymer revolver triggers are pretty light.

Orientation is important. I reckon someone could make a holster that kept the gun in a near-horizontal position; the trigger would have to be exposed, though. Have any of you guys tried those rubber behind-the-trigger plugs?

I think I would consider coat pocket carry for a small BUG, only. IMHO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts