Defensive Carry banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
I quit watching all of them about the same time I dumped the NFL. That was during last season before it was even common place.

Truthfully though, I have trouble staying up past 1000

·
Registered
33,868 Posts
ME TV is keeping me up late at night.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
@paaiyan....Just so you understand that the mental health issue would in no way have done anything at all to prevent what happened in Las Vegas.
That is an assertion that I simply cannot agree with. I can predict with no accuracy what effect, if any, mental health outreach programs and the like would have had on this particular event. I can, however, say with relative confidence that there is likely zero chance it would have had a negative impact, or that it would cause more such attacks.

But if our society started taking mental health more seriously by reducing the stigma associated with it, providing outreach programs, providing better and more accessible treatment, etc., it is entirely possible that outcomes could change. Let's say, for example, a person with schizoafective disorder. Schizoaffective disorder is kind of a combination of schizophrenia and a mood disorder, and causes a wide variety of detrimental symptoms like voices, impaired social function, paranoid delusions, unclear and irrational thinking, unregulated emotions, terrible stuff. Those delusions and voices? They can seem real. To a person suffering from it those paranoid delusions aren't delusions; as far as they're concerned that's the real world that's out to get them.

So you take the same person suffering from schizoaffective disorder and imagine them in two different possible realities:

1. A well-meaning, middle-class family. The kid, maybe a teenager, goes to school, maybe they get bullied. The kid starts acting out, losing weight, and always seems distant like they're not really in the room with you. Nothing the family does "fixes" the problem. The family sees things going on and want to help, but they don't understand mental health issues very well, and they don't know where to turn. Dad doesn't want to send the kid to a psychiatrist because they're quacks, or he doesn't want to be known as the family with the "crazy" kid, or he just doesn't understand that mental health problems are like any other condition. The kid starts suffering from paranoid delusions. The family owns guns, and the kid knows how to access them. The voices the kid hears start telling them that their family is out to get them.

2. A well-meaning, middle-class family. The kid, maybe a teenager, goes to school, maybe they get bullied. The kid starts acting out, losing weight, and always seems distant like they're not really in the room with you. Nothing the family does "fixes" the problem. The family sees things going on and want to help, so they look for the papers the school sends home at the beginning of each year reminding parents that mental illnesses affect kids just like anything else, reminds them that many of those illnesses begin to show signs in adolescence and young adulthood, what signs to look for, and some places to turn for help. Dad remembers his own dad dealing with what could have been a mood disorder and how life with a father suffering from untreated mental illness was. Dad also remembers his work buddy who is open with his friends about taking medication for bi-polar disorder and who asks his closest friends to keep him accountable for continuing on the medication even when he's not having problems. Dad makes a phone call to a psychiatrist on the list the school sent, sits the kid down, and says "Buddy, we're concerned with what's going on. We can see you're struggling with something we don't understand. We love you, and we want to help you figure out what's going on and get whatever tools or help you need to get through it."

-----------

Obviously I just made this up, and I can't say how things would or could work out for any specific situation. But think about that hypothetical teenager above. They're out there in our world right now. And that first example is very close to reality for a lot of them. My wife's mother suffered a schizophrenic episode. Dad made sure none of the kids talked about it to anyone. They never sought counseling. That episode and how it was dealt with - or rather not dealt with - drastically affected their family in a very negative way.

If you - @OldChap, @mjbeam, and everyone else out there - can't honestly think about a teenager suffering from bi-polar disorder, or schizophrenia, or major depression and imagine that in the second scenario above they might have just a sliver more of a fighting chance at a normal life than the first then, in my opinion anyway, you either don't understand the magnitude of the effects mental illnesses can have on a person's life and that you can't "just deal with" them, or you simply have no empathy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you - @OldChap, @mjbeam, and everyone else out there - can't honestly think about a teenager suffering from bi-polar disorder, or schizophrenia, or major depression and imagine that in the second scenario above they might have just a sliver more of a fighting chance at a normal life than the first then, in my opinion anyway, you either don't understand the magnitude of the effects mental illnesses can have on a person's life and that you can't "just deal with" them, or you simply have no empathy.
What does any of this have to do with the shooting in Las Vegas?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
What does any of this have to do with the shooting in Las Vegas?
Nothing, everything, who knows? As I said earlier it was brought up by someone else and the conversation continues, so I participate and provide my views and my support for them. If you prefer not to participate in a conversation on the topic of mental health that's your prerogative. However, if I may be so bold: if you do prefer not to participate or to be called out by name, perhaps in the future you should avoid making jabs at people who have done nothing but advocate for an issue that sorely needs attention and which has a measurable effect on the topic at hand, albeit not necessarily this specific example. If you can't say something nice, and all that.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
That is an assertion that I simply cannot agree with......... If you - @OldChap, @mjbeam, and everyone else out there - can't honestly think about a teenager suffering from bi-polar disorder, or schizophrenia, or major depression and imagine that in the second scenario above they might have just a sliver more of a fighting chance at a normal life than the first then, in my opinion anyway, you either don't understand the magnitude of the effects mental illnesses can have on a person's life and that you can't "just deal with" them, or you simply have no empathy.

And I want to be clear again: I am not arguing for mandatory mental health screenings for anything.
We're not talking about teenagers, or psychiatric patients, or well meaning midlle class families....we're talking about a man who shot 550+ people. Frankly I'm not worried about whatever stigma he might carry around IF he was mentally ill to begin with. HE IS DEAD.

Given your statement above, tell us how you would have convinced/ordered him to come to your office for a mental health check.

One thing is certain. I'm wasting far to much time on this. Good night.

Reactions: OD* and PhaedrusIV

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Kimmel is on the long list of people who only get as much time on my tv as it takes between hitting the up and down arrows to see whats on that channel, and move on to the next one.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
We're not talking about teenagers, or psychiatric patients, or well meaning midlle class families....we're talking about a man who shot 550+ people. Frankly I'm not worried about whatever stigma he might carry around IF he was mentally ill to begin with. HE IS DEAD.

Given your statement above, tell us how you would have convinced/ordered him to come to your office for a mental health check.
Again I must repeat myself. I have no idea how this one, particular, individual situation might have been affected.

I couldn't have ordered someone to have a mental health check. I am talking about a serious shift on both systematic and personal levels in the way mental health is viewed and treated. I am saying that if you reduce the stigma, encourage people suffering to seek help, and create ways they can legitimately seek and receive help, you can make a difference in the outcome of lives. And yes, I am saying that you could potentially prevent a mass shooting.

And again, in this particular situation we may not be, but when you talk about incidents of mass violence of any kind, you often are talking about teenagers and well-meaning middle-class families. Think Columbine. You are talking about kids from average families dealing with un-diagnosed mental illness that they couldn't understand and didn't know to do anything about. I AM saying that there's a chance, no one knows how big or small, that if those kids and their parents had more knowledge of mental illness and more options available to them, that massacre might well have been avoided. Maybe, maybe not. But if its a 1 in 100 chance and we can prevent 1 out of every 100 incidents of mass violence, is that not worth it? It doesn't require taking any of your freedoms. It doesn't require your money. It asks next to nothing of you. It simply asks compassion and a willingness to talk about things that have been shunned for too long.

One thing is certain. I'm wasting far to much time on this. Good night.
I'm not holding you hostage here. But if you think that mental health is a waste of time I can't help but question if you have a heart at all.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nothing, everything, who knows? As I said earlier it was brought up by someone else and the conversation continues, so I participate and provide my views and my support for them. If you prefer not to participate in a conversation on the topic of mental health that's your prerogative. However, if I may be so bold: if you do prefer not to participate or to be called out by name, perhaps in the future you should avoid making jabs at people who have done nothing but advocate for an issue that sorely needs attention and which has a measurable effect on the topic at hand, albeit not necessarily this specific example. If you can't say something nice, and all that.
It seems to me like a mental health forum might be a better place to discuss mental health issues, but what do I know? I'm reading this thread because of Kimmel's anti-gun lip quivering. Bad people do bad things. Always have, always will. We can't prevent it by taking all the sharp pointy things away from everyone. One thing we can be sure of though, with all of the attention this guy got, someone is going to try and break his record.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
It seems to me like a mental health forum might be a better place to discuss mental health issues, but what do I know? I'm reading this thread because of Kimmel's anti-gun lip quivering. Bad people do bad things. Always have, always will. We can't prevent it by taking all the sharp pointy things away from everyone. One thing we can be sure of though, with all of the attention this guy got, someone is going to try and break his record.
People on mental health forums already talk about it, and the conversation is happening here. I didn't start it. It's an issue that has the potential to affect every single one of us.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Well, my .02 is that I used to be married to a P HD in Psychology and is a practicing psychologist and I know ALL I want to know about mental health.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have no problem with Kimmel speaking his mind, any more than I have a problem with Ted Nugent speaking HIS mind.
People are entitled to have opinions and beliefs and to share share their opinions and beliefs. They may even try to get other people to think the same way.
As far as I know however, there is no requirement for me to adopt those same opinions and beliefs.

Hooray for freedom!

·
Premium Member
33,724 Posts
I have no problem with Kimmel speaking his mind, any more than I have a problem with Ted Nugent speaking HIS mind.
People are entitled to have opinions and beliefs and to share share their opinions and beliefs. They may even try to get other people to think the same way.
As far as I know however, there is no requirement for me to adopt those same opinions and beliefs.

Hooray for freedom!
All true. Besides, the TV remote solves most, if not all of any potential problems.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
One thing for sure, Kimmel and his ilk will be beating their drum loud for days to come. These are interesting times we live in for sure!

·
Premium Member
33,724 Posts
One thing for sure, Kimmel and his ilk will be beating their drum loud for days to come. These are interesting times we live in for sure!
They beat their drums, we exercise our 2A rights. Works for me...

Reactions: OD* and halem1

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
There's not a hell of a lot of point in insulting each other over mental health issues when we don't even know if the guy had mental health issues. Sometimes people are just evil for evils sake and what he did or didn't have makes little difference to the people who are being buried in the next few days, including him.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
This is a little long (warning, language a little rough) BUT he breaks down point by point/debunks Kimmel's diatribe from last night. Steven Crowder, by the way.

Reactions: Dave909 and halem1
101 - 120 of 127 Posts