1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wanted to get the basic accessories for my new JM 930 12-gauge shotgun

1. rail or mount for a light
2. Light to go on said mount in #1.
3. Sling preferably swivel and can come off and on easily.
4. Extra shell carrier on the side.

I've seen some options for shell carriers and slings, but I have seen where some options look like a combination sling attachment and light attachment. I would think that since those are the Top 3 things that most people recommend for adding to the shot gun for home defense/ tactical use that it would 'seem' like it should be as simple as selecting Mossberg JM 930 and order accessories, but I'm throwing this out to the forum because I'm not getting great results in my search for the best way to mount a light and light accessories. I did see I could add a Picatinny rail (2 inches) to the existing extended barrel and add a TLR light, but that's at least 6 inches past my reach to be able to turn the light on and off.

Suggestions / web sites /etc?

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I use a Nordic components tube clamp/light mount on my 930 SPX.

It is the most solid mounting solution I have found so far.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
When it comes to defensive shotguns I prefer to keep them simple. I do not like slings on shotguns, when doing room clearings, they tend to get caught on things and most slings are also noisy. Just my .02 worth!

Reactions: OlCop

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When it comes to defensive shotguns I prefer to keep them simple. I do not like slings on shotguns, when doing room clearings, they tend to get caught on things and most slings are also noisy. Just my .02 worth!
--> In my case I was wanting a sling because a lot of the tactical classes that you can take require one or request that you use one. And in certain circumstances I see where they would come in handy if you really did need to have both a hand gun and a shotgun, etc. but I don't ever see myself getting into that kind of confrontation. :-S

But that is also why I was thinking that if I had a sling and it was one that could easily be removed I could have the sling off at home and put it back on for any tactical classes that require the sling.

While looking I found that some sling mounts are incorporated with the flashlight mount and some are completely separate. Wanting to make sure that I don't buy the items and find out that they don't work together or don't fit.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I think you are not getting much response because home defense is a long way from what that gun is designed to do.

Any accessories you find for this gun are going to be geared towards 3 gun competition which is about as ar from moving nimbly around your house in the dark as you can get.

Sell it and a home defense gun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you are not getting much response because home defense is a long way from what that gun is designed to do.

Any accessories you find for this gun are going to be geared towards 3 gun competition which is about as ar from moving nimbly around your house in the dark as you can get.

Sell it and a home defense gun.

Shot guns are definitely a viable home defense weapon. And I got the JM 930 specifically with the thought of 3 gun competition but will be a few years before I have time money and all of tbe equipment for competition.

But for now i would like to do some tactical shot gun training and requirements are the sling and light for the low light training class.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Don't give up on three gun just cause you don't have all the fancy equipment. My 2 sons and I have only been doing 3 gun for a short time. First few matches we shared a pump 870 and carried extra mags and shells in our pockets. You have a shot gun find someone to share what don't have, go have fun!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
There is little reason to have a sling on a home defense shotgun. In fact, there is little reason for a JM 930 for home defense. The JM Pro is a competition shotgun. You want a shorter barrel for home defense. Eighteen inches, not 22. You'll want a 930 tactical (with short butt stock) or a 500 tactical (with short butt stock). A shorter barrel for maneuverability. A 930 JM Pro is more for distance and inside your home, you're not dealing with great distances, but you will have tight corners and narrow passages, so short barrel, short butt stock.

But getting back to your original request.

You want a light. You want to ID your target, so you don't mistakenly shoot your kid or wife.

Perhaps rifle sights.

Tube extension. A +5 is the most you'll need for home defense and that may be excessive. Get this and their is no reason to get a shell carrier. You'll have nine in the tube and if the JM 930 can do it, you can ghost one in the lifter, making it 10 in total. Don't keep one in the chamber. Shotguns are not drop safe and it takes a second or two to chamber a shell and it still makes a good sound.

Get a short barrel and short stock that you can change out for the stock barrel and stock. Don't get a pistol grip:

No, don't bother with that. Just get a good, short butt stock. Magpul has some.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts